Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving B-school app profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Improving B-school app profile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:55
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get into a elite b-school or better after graduation, but after looking at some prospective profiles of others I find that mine is severly lacking. I promise myself a high GMAT, and an improved GPA (hopefully in the 3.4-3.5 range). But I don't have any real business work experience (part time retail doesn't mean much I figure), and I feel like I have a strong personal profile either of activities. I'm just very involved with my church, and play/coach/ref various teams & levels of ice hockey.

I'm kinda looking for ideas on what I could get involved in that would greatly help me in my application process. To start at the time of the app I know is too late, so the sooner I can get involved, the better off I would be. Thanks for all the advice/suggestions/help.

-NACMav
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Improving B-school app profile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 11:07
Ec's sound OK, You have to have min 2 years WE at most of the top schools. The schools that don't require that are extremely competitive. Cornell for example takes in a handful of students w/o real WE every year but they are usually business majors from Cornell.

If you're young the best thing is to get some real work experience so you will be competitive and also able to contribute meaningfully to a group that contains some people with 10 years of experience.

What's the rush? Dont burn your b-school ticket now, get a job and come back to it AVG age at most schools is 27-28

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Improving B-school app profile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 11:56
Well, when I graduate undergrad I'll be roughly 26. I putzed around for awhile and got a very late start. My undergrad degrees are going to be Finance and Accounting. So my thought was to join Beta Alpha Psi, to help get an accounting job right out of college.

Like I said, I want to make sure I have a very strong profile, because I want to be very competitive.

Last thing I'm considering; my professor runs a non-profit tax preparation society for low income families around the area. I thought the community service would be beneficial for my job search and for b school profile. Can't hurt, right?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Improving B-school app profile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 13:38
How much do graduate grades offset undergraduate grades? I went to a top 3 pub and got a 3.27 (humanities), and now have a 3.7 graduate gpa (professional degree, non-engineering/quant) at an ivy.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

GMAT Tests User
Re: Improving B-school app profile [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 14:07
Something that I've heard at a lot of admissions events is "Don't spend too much time worrying about your undergraduate record, you can't change it now."
You obviously have that luxury, so try to finish on a high note. I would also go for BAP. There are honor/recognition sections on the apps that need filling and it immediately helps answer "can he/she do the work?"

"I putzed around for awhile and got a very late start." If you figure out the themes from this period, you can make decisions now that can reinforce/complement/overcome however they might be viewed by admissions.

Looking at just the applications I've submitted so far (so take with a grain of salt), it's easier to write about things that you actually care about. It's also easier to do those things, which results in you doing them more and working harder at them, which leads to more, etc.
"I'm just very involved with my church, and play/coach/ref various teams & levels of ice hockey."
Sounds like that is what you have here. I figure someone else will always have a more exotic pastime than me, but the playing field starts level when it comes to commitment.

"Last thing I'm considering; my professor runs a non-profit tax preparation society for low income families around the area. I thought the community service would be beneficial for my job search and for b school profile. Can't hurt, right?"
It would actually be beneficial for the families. This is a good opportunity to develop/demonstrate your professional skills and do something nice. Are you planning on the CPA exam? This will make the REG section much easier.
Re: Improving B-school app profile   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2010, 14:07