Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 13:48
Hello Gmatclub, Im an aspiring student trying to further my education and get accepted into a decent business school. I graduated from Fairleigh Dickinson last year with a B.A. in Psychology and I've come along way since I made the decision to begin studying for the GMAT. Considering I don't have a strong background in math (I never took the time to develop the interest) Im proud of the strides I've made, and it is reflection of my growing interest in math and sharpening those skills. I feel I need guidance and have reached sort of a road block so I'll debrief my journey to provide context:

I started at square one with the GMAT 6 months ago, I took my first practice test and did bad naturally (high 400s, low 20th percentiles in both sections and I did the Foundations Of GMAT Math book to refresh everything I had already learned. After that refresher I began working on ALL of the MGMAT strategy guides to sharpen my skills in the areas I needed to on the test. Once I finished I even made a point of going back over the quant books again to really get a hold on everything. After I finished the strategy guide books I started this syllabus that took me chapter by chapter in the strategy guide books and tested me in the OG13. I completed the syllabus, keeping record of my percentages (right/wrong) in each section and error logging my answers for review to really work on my weaknesses. I did the error log by pen in hand. After I finished the syllabus and felt comfortable with the bulk of the material and the overall feel of the exam, I took the Diagnostic Test in the beginning of the OG13. This was my analysis for my performance on the Diagnostic Test:

PS: 14 Correct - 11 Wrong (Silly and minor errors in 6 out of the 11 questions I answered wrong. Those questions were within my grasp to answer correctly. I had a problem with geometry and analyzing the purpose of the questions (what exactly it asked of me). Another weakness here was devising formulas efficiently for word problems

DS: 16 Correct - 7 wrong (Similar weaknesses for me in this section with geometry concepts(coordinates), I also had problems testing the extreme cases necessary for DS problems, and I had problems with sets)

RC: disclaimer - reviewed RC a day before I took Diagnostic. 16 Correct - 1 Wrong (I did good here and im not sure its because I had just finished studying because I didn't maintain this level in subsequent practice tests but I'm pretty comfortable with spotting conclusions, mapping the body of the passages etc.)

CR: 11 Correct - 5 Wrong (There was supposed to be 17 ?'s but I finished one prior to the test. I took longer than 2 mins per question this section and I had issues with spotting the premise and pulling assumptions from premise-conclusion relationships. I also had issue with breaking down question types)

SC 8 Correct - 10 Wrong (Bulk of the problems I got wrong were parallelism, verb tense, and I let multiple modifiers confuse me with the questions. Problems drew me into the words of the sentence while I lost vision of the overall structure of the sentence. I finished in 21 minutes so maybe some of that error is attributed to me going too fast?)

Total Diagnostic ?'s - 66 correct - 34 Wrong (66%)

After I took the Diagnostic Test I began working on practice problems and pacing, which I improved in and I tried to stay accurate by attacking my weaknesses. I then registered for the Economist GMAT's 7 day free trial and did as much of their material I could in 7 days and took their practice test the last day. The results I got (540) from their practice test are attached and I will screenshot more info. At that point I was pleasantly surprised coming from where I was and seeing improvement let me know I could continue to improve! I went from the 400s to a 540!

I also took the mba's practice test last week (albeit not as mentally prepared as I was for the economist's practice test, which I admit complete fault to, I started off slow, my mind wandered atleast once for each section and the RC stomped me). I got a 500 on mba's GMAT and im not sure if its because it is harder than the economist gmat or me not being mentally prepared but I didn't finish a handful of verbal and quant questions on the practice test (around 5 to 7 all together).

The main problem I want to address is keeping the momentum and constantly improving but I do feel my studying route after the economist practice test has gone stale! From start to finish I "learned - practiced - syllabus & practice - diagnostic test - practice - economist test (high point) - practice" Now it seems my study is reduced to just practice out of the OG13, Quant and Verbal Review books with taking more practice tests. Im not sure if its the right route but I want the improvement to continue.

I would LOVE to get in the low 600s from that 540(but I do want to max out)!I know that the 540 on the economist test wasn't my ceiling and I can do better, I just need a better plan moving forward, assessing my weaknesses and working on them because from the time I took the economist practice test to mbas practice test there was a -40 in my overall score(even though I didn't go into it as prepared as I did for economists test). I plan on taking the GMAT January 7th but im flexible if I deem it necessary to improve my score.

I would DEFINITELY appreciate ANY and ALL tips, advice, studying methods and guidance you have for me to continue improving and even study better than I've been studying! Please give me a hand, I can take criticism as well as advice and I'm willing to do what it takes! I know I've posted a lot of info but you're time is very much appreciated and my economist test scores are attached! THANK YOU!
Attachments

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 6.14.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 6.14.51 PM.png [ 131.28 KiB | Viewed 1672 times ]

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
Now you've got basics. You at a really good place to push your score. I would recommend investing in a GMAT prep course. There's lots to choose from to cover study style and budgets. Decide what your preferred style is and work from their.
If ok with reading why not sign up to the economist course? Or even buy the complete set of Manhattan guides. Like their facebook page as they are doing deals.

If you like voice and visuals then magoosh or GMAT pill might suit.

If you need to see a person try Kaplan on demand or vertias.

Other options include private tutor and finding a study group in your local area. GMAT club has CAT tests which might help.

If you want to see strategies how to max your score sign up the webinars on egmat. Main point; do ok on maths, ace the verbal.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 16:12
sarahrs wrote:
Now you've got basics. You at a really good place to push your score. I would recommend investing in a GMAT prep course. There's lots to choose from to cover study style and budgets. Decide what your preferred style is and work from their.
If ok with reading why not sign up to the economist course? Or even buy the complete set of Manhattan guides. Like their facebook page as they are doing deals.

If you like voice and visuals then magoosh or GMAT pill might suit.

If you need to see a person try Kaplan on demand or vertias.

Other options include private tutor and finding a study group in your local area. GMAT club has CAT tests which might help.

If you want to see strategies how to max your score sign up the webinars on egmat. Main point; do ok on maths, ace the verbal.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Thank you very much! I appreciate it I really do. I like the idea of video that magoosh and gmatpill offer, I'm going to sign up on egmat

My girlfriend actually ordered me the Kaplan 2013 premier and I'm finding it much more comprehensive and creative to problem solving than the MGAT strategy guides, so now I feel like I have a fresh perspective for reinforcements!

Again thank you!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 06:29
Expert's post
Congrats on getting that first sim test over with! As the commenters have pointed out, all GMAT prep courses offer different ways of teaching. If you did like the adaptive nature of the Economist GMAT Tutor prep course and sign up for a full course, you would be guaranteed an either 50 or 70 point improvement. If you didn't achieve an either 590 or 610 depending on what plan you choose, you would receive a full refund. If you have any question about this, please let me know. I'm always happy to answer!

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GMATCLUB14
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 15:19
Update on Results

Hello GmatClub, I took the exam two days ago and scored a 560. I'm not completey sure how I feel about the score and Im going to explain why. But if i had to describe my feeling on it I would use minimally satisfied.

As I've said before I wasnt a business student before and I never took math classes past College Algebra in high school and undergrad because I was simply uninterested (plus a little naive). Considering that the FIRST score I received before I carack even the Foundations Of GMAT Math (remedial book) was a 480. I graduated from Fairleigh Dickinson and my goal then was to go to FDU's business school, in which their average score is like a 530 depending on your gpa and other factors.

So if you would've asked me at that point would I have been satisfied with this test score I would have been VERY happy about it, but something happened after all the events in my first post transpired.

After using The Economist and and taking those practice tests, I started with the Kaplan Premier 2013 book. Immediately after finishing reading and solving all the problems in that book I started the practice tests they give you in your online companion. Suddenly a huge shift came in moy scoring I scored a 620 on my first exam, a 640 on my second exam, a 620 on my third exam.

This sort of raised my expectations, im not sure if Kaplan was pulling some evil prank on me but it worked! My expectations jump and I felt that I WASNT a 500 level scorer. Then I took a practice test 4 days ago (two days before my exam) and I scored a 570 :-(. I figured ok maybe this is my minimum and Im just a little nervous before the test. But It wasnt I went in twso days ago and scored even less a 560, hence why im in the grey area as far as my score. It's enough for the school I want to go to, but those Kaplan practice tests told me 600+ was in my range too.

Maybe its the fact that I've been studying since June? I dont know what it was but I guess it'll do fpr now, I'll wait to hear back from FDU and other schools I applied to (Montclair, Rutgers, Syracuse)

My practice scores from Kaplan are attached.
Attachments

CG2C.jpg
CG2C.jpg [ 74.88 KiB | Viewed 1364 times ]

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 15:20
practice test 2 & 3
Attachments

untitled2.jpg
untitled2.jpg [ 72.93 KiB | Viewed 1365 times ]

untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg [ 73.03 KiB | Viewed 1363 times ]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study) [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 03:14
magnum973 wrote:
practice test 2 & 3

Test scores from test prep companies are not indicative of your performance on the real test. only mba.com GMAT prep test scores are indicative of the real test.

I kept delaying my prep becuase I was scoring in the late 600s on MGMAT CATS; I ended up with a 760 on the real thing. GMAT Prep 1 and 2 were 750 and 760 respectively! I think there is no hard limit on a GMAT score, you could keep going; you've got to ask yourself is the score you have or you are aiming for really what you want? And take it from there.

Wish you luck.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Re: Improving My 500-540 Score To a 600+? (Maintain Fresh Study)   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 03:14