Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving my Verbal - Exam NEXT week!! Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Improving my Verbal - Exam NEXT week!! Help [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 09:02
Hello everybody! I am new to this club and this is only my second post but I would like to know what your take is on my problem.

Preparation
So when I begun my preparation 9 days ago I took a practice exam and scored a 530 on it. 39 Q and 25V. I have been devoting 10 hours per day studying and gone through all the Manhattan GMAT 8 strategies guide over the last 9 days. I have also solved every problem in Kaplan GMAT 800- Advanced prep ..... ( Actually I found those problems a lot easier then the problems I have been solving in the CATs, but that is a topic for another threat).

Practice tests
I took one practice test yesterday on Veritas Prep and only scored 570 Q - 39 and V - 30. I am surprised how little improvement I made. :S Anyhow, I took another practice test today on the GMAT prep software and scored 570 again Q-44 and v- 25.

What most concerns me is my verbal section. Today´s "error log" (or what ever you call it) is a good representation of my mistakes in the verbal

Sentence correction: 11 incorrect
Critical reasoning: 5 incorrect
Reading comprehension: 4 incorrect ( I always get the second question wrong on each passage)

My take on this
I feel like my vocabulary is not sufficient when going through the RC section and I am having serious troubles in the SC part. I don´t know what to do and the funny part is that I am aiming for 700+ ... Well my test is next week and I will probably have to take it again in order to reach my target. I am pretty confident that I can be at level Q-44-48 by next Friday but don´t know what to do in this short time for the verbal part

Question
So my question is: How can I overcome these troubles/difficulties in the verbal part ? Any recommendation about anything is appreciated! This website is awesome!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Improving my Verbal - Exam NEXT week!! Help [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 10:38
Expert's post
The main issue here is that you didn't give yourself enough time to adequately prepare for verbal. And given the discrepancy of your current level (570) and goal (700), there's the possibility that you might burnout in the attempt to make up for lost ground.

You have the Manhattan series and keep an error log, so that's great (I didn't see any mention of the OG, though). Fully review as many verbal questions as possible and place particular emphasis on SC. Remember to take a day off immediately before the test in order to stay mentally fresh and alert. Remain calm and stay in control.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: Goizueta '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Improving my Verbal - Exam NEXT week!! Help [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 17:55
I found the aristotle sc grail to be very helpful. It starts from the basics and is for people who need help in sc. It is an easy read and helped me greatly. I then went on to read the mgmat sc guide

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Improving my Verbal - Exam NEXT week!! Help   [#permalink] 10 May 2012, 17:55