Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving Q from a 50 to a 51?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 02:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have been stuck at 50 for several practice tests, and would like to figure out how to get a 51 consistently. Does anyone have advice about how they achieved these?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 19:21
I will give you my take on how to jump from Q50 to Q51. First if you are consistently scoring Q50, then that means you have all the basics and the advanced ideas in place. It is also possible that there may be some subtopics where you are not as strong as others. Clearly beefing up on those would be a good strategy.

As for the specific problem types, there are two category of questions that can hold you back from a Q51. The first ones are the medium level ones where one could misinterpret a statement and fall for a trap. These are problems that you know everything about but still trip on something small and make a mistake. These are really hard to correct, other than having extreme focus and double checking your work. This can happen to anyone on any day. I personally double check the easier problems, because I know I am more likely to miss an easier problem than a hard one. The reason is that the harder ones rely on testing an advanced concept and rely less on how the questions are phrased or need to be interpreted.

The second category of questions that mostly rely on a new idea require you to be fairly flexible in your approach. These questions often rest on testing an idea that you may not have seen before. Of course, they are not entirely new, but are significantly different than what you may have seen in practice tests. To be able to deal with these problems, I generally recommend going one step beyond GMAT, this where others may disagree with me. I will illustrate with an example. Let's say I want to push my understanding of Counting and Number Theory. I would give the following question to a student(Source American Mathematics Competition AMC 12 2003 Problem#23):

How many perfect squares are divisors of the product (1!)(2!)(3!)(4!)(5!)(6!)(7!)(8!)(9!)?

(A) 504 (B) 672 (C) 864 (D) 936 (E) 1008

This problem is beyond what you would encounter on GMAT, however it has the elements of the concepts necessary for the GMAT, and it does an excellent job of forcing you to think and come up with an approach to solve this problem. This struggle that is inherent in solving this problem is extremely valuable for those few hard problems on the GMAT that determine the difference between Q50 and Q51.

Cheers,
Dabral

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 19:26
Thanks, Dabral - this is very helpful. Do you have a list of sample "beyond the GMAT" questions I could practice with - I think this could be really helpful for me.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
The question is, is there any point trying to push 50 to 51. There are 2 types of Q50, one where you are making 2-4 mistakes and other when you are making 5-8. If you are making less than 4 mistakes, Q50 and Q51 will give you same overall score keeping the verbal score constant. Google Q50 V35 - 710 and Q51 V35 - 710.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 23:59
gbayarea,

I do have a list but I need to curate it and assemble it. Give me a week or so, and I will post a link to the questions here.

Cheers,
Dabral

gbayarea wrote:
Thanks, Dabral - this is very helpful. Do you have a list of sample "beyond the GMAT" questions I could practice with - I think this could be really helpful for me.

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4478 [0], given: 162

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:20
Expert's post
gbayarea wrote:
I have been stuck at 50 for several practice tests, and would like to figure out how to get a 51 consistently. Does anyone have advice about how they achieved these?

I agree with AbhiJ here. You might want to rethink the return you will get by putting in extra effort to push the Quant score from 50 to 51. In the eyes of the adcom, Q50 and Q51 are the same. People who are on the higher rungs of Q50 on a particular day could be on the lower rungs of Q51 on another day. You may actually score Q51 on the test day, who knows! A 1 point increase in the Q score will hardly affect your overall GMAT score. On the other hand, you might want to put in extra effort in Verbal. An improvement in the verbal section could make a lot of difference.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 160 [4] , given: 1

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the list of advanced questions organized by topic that I believe are relevant for students targeting a Q50/Q51. All of these problems use the same concepts that are required on the GMAT, I made sure to only select those that are relevant. However, some of these are fairly challenging and will require a certain level of ingenuity. I recommend that you struggle with them to gain the most. I will add the video explanations over time.

http://www.gmatquantum.com/amc-questions

I also wanted to second what others have said regarding the quant score, it is correct that you will get a far higher return from spending time on the Verbal portion of the test. Although, I would still recommend you to keep working on the quant as well, and to keep your brain oiled. The problems I have listed in the link will certainly accomplish that task.

Cheers,
Dabral
gbayarea wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 182

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 20:39
dabral wrote:
Here is the list of advanced questions organized by topic that I believe are relevant for students targeting a Q50/Q51. All of these problems use the same concepts that are required on the GMAT, I made sure to only select those that are relevant. However, some of these are fairly challenging and will require a certain level of ingenuity. I recommend that you struggle with them to gain the most. I will add the video explanations over time.

http://www.gmatquantum.com/amc-questions

I also wanted to second what others have said regarding the quant score, it is correct that you will get a far higher return from spending time on the Verbal portion of the test. Although, I would still recommend you to keep working on the quant as well, and to keep your brain oiled. The problems I have listed in the link will certainly accomplish that task.

Cheers,
Dabral
gbayarea wrote:

Dabral, thanks for cherry picking the problems and listing down along with the answers. Those looks like a great practice!

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Re: Improving Q from a 50 to a 51?   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2013, 20:39