Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kaplan Course [#permalink]
If you can afford it, the Kaplan Course is certainly recommended to the extent that you will get your hands on an increbible amount of material. More than anything it provides you with access to a number of resources through Kaplan's online syllabus (i.e. lots of quiz banks, workshops etc.) If you are already familiar with the structure of the GMAT and the type of questions you will encounter in the test, I am not sure if the incremental value of the course would worth it to you. When I took the course I had no idea about the GMAT and the course familiarized me with the test itself and also provided a review of some of the concepts tested (eg. it includes a basic math workshop for those of us who hadnt practiced any quant questions in years). The value of the classes themselves, however, are questionable. I found them to be a little bit annoying because other students were relatively weak in a number of concepts - I found myself skipping ahead numerous times. Given that I am at the 650 level, I would estimate that the rest of the ppl in my class were at the 500 to 550 level. This may, however, be an experience specific to the class I was in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sparky -

My recent scores are below:

Kaplan CAT Test 4 - 540 (31 Q, 30 V) [One Month Ago]
Kaplan CAT Test 5 - 590 (31 Q, 39 V) [3 Weeks Ago]
Kaplan Practice Test A - 610 (38 Q, 37 V) [2 Weeks Ago]
Kaplan Practice Test B - 690 (46 Q, 40 V) [3 days ago]
Princeton Review Test 2 - 640 (42 Q, 37 V) [3 Weeks Ago]
Princeton Review Test 2 - 640 (40 Q, 38 V) [Yesterday]
Powerprep Test 1 - 660 (45Q, 40V) [1 Week Ago]

Right now I am practicing around 50 questions a day (10 PS, 10 DS - both closer to the end, 10 RC, 10 SC and 10 CR) from the Official Guide, reviewing my mistakes and keeping an error log to return to a couple of days before the test.

I have 11 days till I give the test. Any suggestions will be very helpful. I can probably devote a max of 30 / 40 hours of studying between now and my test.

Please respond at your earliest convenience as I feel like I am short of time.

Thanks,
Fahd
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fahd wrote:
Sparky -

My recent scores are below:

Kaplan CAT Test 4 - 540 (31 Q, 30 V) [One Month Ago]
Kaplan CAT Test 5 - 590 (31 Q, 39 V) [3 Weeks Ago]
Kaplan Practice Test A - 610 (38 Q, 37 V) [2 Weeks Ago]
Kaplan Practice Test B - 690 (46 Q, 40 V) [3 days ago]
Princeton Review Test 2 - 640 (42 Q, 37 V) [3 Weeks Ago]
Princeton Review Test 2 - 640 (40 Q, 38 V) [Yesterday]
Powerprep Test 1 - 660 (45Q, 40V) [1 Week Ago]

Right now I am practicing around 50 questions a day (10 PS, 10 DS - both closer to the end, 10 RC, 10 SC and 10 CR) from the Official Guide, reviewing my mistakes and keeping an error log to return to a couple of days before the test.

I have 11 days till I give the test. Any suggestions will be very helpful. I can probably devote a max of 30 / 40 hours of studying between now and my test.

Please respond at your earliest convenience as I feel like I am short of time.

Thanks,
Fahd

Quant is your weak area. However, it's easier to improve than verbal.
Do as many math challeges as you can at https://www.gmatclub.com
Do last 150 problems in OG10 for PS and DS, reading explanations
Pick several characteristic hard problems for each area of PS that don't vary much - work, speed, mixture, sets(including problems with percents), etc and memorize solution so you can do them with closed eyes.
remember OG math definitions from OG10, p32
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fahd,

Thanks a lot for your Kaplan course inputs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey,

I was in the same shoe. My first GMAT was 640. My second GMAT is/was 720. One thing I realize is that you really need to go beyond OG 10 and do many practices to get better.

I actually spent a lot o time looking for other materials. Keep at it. I will put something on sales soon.

Good
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just gave my GMAT 2 weeks ago and got about 80 points lower than what I was expecting. I had taken the Kaplan course and done about a number of OG questions. (The last 100 math questions in DS and PS and about a 100 questions each in SC, CR and RC). I was scoring in the low 600s on Kaplan CATs, mid 600s in Princeton Review CATs and 660 / 720 in PP CATs. Now I feel like I have exhausted all materials and am not sure what strategy to employ. I want to give it again in about 3 weeks.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Quant is my weak area and that is where I suffered during the test (36!!!) - mostly, however, my nerves got to me.

Also. a question on ETS paper tests. How many of the questions on the paper tests are in the OG? Would it be pointless if I have already worked on a number of OG questions as I will already know the answers?

I was considering a strategy of working through the GMATclub Math Challenges, doing OG verbal questions that I have not already done and doing some paper tests.

Does this sound plausible enough to lift my score by at least 70 points?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]