Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:03

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Improving Verbal score!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 04:45
Hi everyone!

So, basically, since I'm weak in Math and strong in English, I just completely ignored the English portion of the exam. So, I'm getting V39-V40 in my exams. I need to ge a V46 or V45 as I need to pull up my score. My weakness is Sentence Correction.
Any advice? GMAT is a week from now. Which I know is really not any time at all. But I'm pretty okay at English and I think I'll be able to pull up my score in the remaining time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 223

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 5

Re: Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 21:19
Expert's post
Wow, you haven't given yourself much time to make some significant progress :) So you haven't done ANY preparation on the Verbal section yet?

You'll have to do a fair amount of practice on OG problems. Be sure to follow the timing benchmarks for each problem type as you practice. Use "timed sets' to mimic the experience of the real GMAT. Be sure to review all of your problems (not just those you got wrong).

Best of luck...

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 04:10
Hi Kyle!

Thank you for the reply!
Well, I had worked through all the OG problems in SC and CR. When I saw that I could do them pretty easily, I made the mistake of getting overconfident about my English skills. Learnt my lesson now :oops:
Anyway, I just skimmed through the Manhattan SC book. And I'm working my way through Sentence Correction sets, on which I tend to make maximum mistakes. Can you suggest some other books other than the OG?
If I have time, I'll work my way through the Powerscore CR book as well.
Hoping for the best!
Intern
Intern

Re: Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 04:48
And also, how many questions, on an average, am I allowed to get wrong if I want to get V45? Or is there no specific rule which governs this?
Expert Post

Re: Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 09:34
Expert's post
Aho92 wrote:
Hi Kyle!

Thank you for the reply!
Well, I had worked through all the OG problems in SC and CR. When I saw that I could do them pretty easily, I made the mistake of getting overconfident about my English skills. Learnt my lesson now :oops:
Anyway, I just skimmed through the Manhattan SC book. And I'm working my way through Sentence Correction sets, on which I tend to make maximum mistakes. Can you suggest some other books other than the OG?
If I have time, I'll work my way through the Powerscore CR book as well.
Hoping for the best!

With a week to go you don't have time to get through a lot of material. I would recommend going deeper on the MGMAT SC book and doing practice in the OG focusing on the specific grammatical catergories (the SC book has a list of OG problems by type). You really need to understand why you are missing problems so review your OG work thoroughly. Did you also buy the OG verbal supplement?

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post

Re: Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 11:13
Expert's post
Aho92 wrote:
And also, how many questions, on an average, am I allowed to get wrong if I want to get V45? Or is there no specific rule which governs this?

Due to the adaptive nature of the test most people will miss about the same number of problems. It's not how many you get right or wrong that determines your score, it's the difficulty of those questions you get right or wrong.

KW

Posted from my mobile device Image

Intern
Intern

Re: Improving Verbal score! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 22:59
Yes. I have bought the OG Verbal Review.
Re: Improving Verbal score!   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2013, 22:59