Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 06:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:28) correct 33% (00:50) wrong based on 27 sessions
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.
(A) so as to marry
(B) and so could be married to
(C) to be married to
(D) so that he could marry
(E) in order that he would marry

I want some help to understand why C is wrong. You can say it is passive. But it is not the
reason given by OG.
In OG it says "The infinitive must be preceded by a conjunction ( in order ). "To marry" is preferable to wordier "to be married to" ".
I cannot crack this.

In 1527 King Henry VIII decided to marry Anne Boleyn - OK
In 1527 King Henry VIII he divorced Queen Catherine to marry Anne Boleyn - OK [ I hope ]

But why I cannot say:
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled to marry Anne Boleyn.

Why ( according to OG ) I have to say:
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled in order to marry Anne Boleyn.

I am missing something here.

SOS
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 10:59
It is the meaning in an option that makes it right or wrong.
Also, option C makes the sentence awkward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 07:42
(D) so that he could marry is more preferable than (C) to be married to .....meaning wise. On the other hand avoid 'to be' in GMAT.

Cheers,
SD

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 14:09
Hi SudiptoGmat, I know that "so as" is always wrong on GMAT but what do you mean by this......"on the other hand avoid 'to be' in GMAT."

"so" + adjective + "as {to}" + verb - is the correct form
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 11:08
So as to is valid idiom but there should be an adjective between so and as. 'to be' is not always wrong but in most of the cases it should be avoided if we have any other better option.

Cheers,
SD

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 109

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 14:46
Nobody has answered the specific question of Gmatavenue, why does the OG say that, in choice C, "in order" is necessary?

Most of us know that "in order" can be omitted.

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 39

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 01:56
Quote:
In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.
(A) so as to marry
(C) to be married to

I want some help to understand why C is wrong. You can say it is passive. But it is not the
reason given by OG.
In OG it says "The infinitive must be preceded by a conjunction ( in order ). "To marry" is preferable to wordier "to be married to" ".

To be married to is unidiomatic. Though we use it often, it should be avoided. 'To marry' is slightly different in meaning from 'so that he could'. So that he could marry means that the annulment of earlier marriage allowed him to marry Anne Boleyn.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 39

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 06:35
Quote:

The OG provides two alternatives to the choice C

1. in order to be married to (even this is little awkward); to be married to is unidiomatic
2. to marry; this is concise and idiomatically correct.

However, both these sentences do not appear in any of the answer choices. Also they alter the meaning of so that he could marry.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 23:08
A thumb rule that I follow is an infinitive must always have the form to+verb; in this case, this rule is violated.
D is the correct answer - it uses the idiomatic form X so that Y
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 01:35
so ..as to
so ....that

Both idioms are correct

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: SC : King Henry VIII and infinitive [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 12:39
metallicafan wrote:
Nobody has answered the specific question of Gmatavenue, why does the OG say that, in choice C, "in order" is necessary?

Most of us know that "in order" can be omitted.

Thanks!

Hi,

I still can NOT understand why "to be married to" is wrong.
The King sought to have his marriage annulled to be married to A.B. - why is this wrong.
Doesn't it mean the same as the following sentence:
The King sought to have his marriage annulled to get married to A.B. Is this sentence correct/better than the one above (to be married one)?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 20:07
I got everything but C is clearly changing the meaning. He is a king what does it mean " so that he could marry". Though the usage of as so is wrong, I am not sure that it gives the same meaning. Can anyone make it clear for me?

I am trying to say that the sentence does not give me the idea that he should get divorced before get married to Anne.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 05:22
gmatavenue wrote:

(A) so as to marry
(C) to be married to

King Henry VIII sought to have the annulment in order to marry Anne Boleyn. That is the meaning of the sentence. There should be a continuity in the sentence and the act of annulment and marrying another woman should not be taken as disconnected events. Thus, (B) is wrong because of its usage of "and"

(E) is eliminated because of its wrong construction of "in order to"
(A) is also eliminated because the correct usage is So X as to Y
(C) is obviously awkward

Answer: (D) so that he could marry

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2013, 05:22