Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 May 2015, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses'

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 18

In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 18:13
In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' guild, the first Line independent all-female guild created in over 200 years. Guild members could make and sell women's and children's clothing, but were prohibited from producing men's clothing or dresses for court women. Tailors resented the ascension of seamstresses to guild status; seamstresses, meanwhile, were impatient with the remaining restrictions on their right to clothe women.
The conflict between the guilds was not purely economic, however. A 1675 police report indicated that since so many seamstresses were already working illegally, the tailors were unlikely to suffer additional economic damage because of the seamstresses' incorporation.
Moreover, guild membership held very different meanings for tailors and seamstresses. To the tailors, their status as guild members overlapped with their role as heads of household, and entitled them to employ as seamstresses female family members who did not marry outside the trade. The seamstresses, however,
viewed guild membership as a mark of independence from the patriarchal family. Their guild was composed not of family units but of individual women who enjoyed unusual legal and economic privileges.
At the conflict's center was the issue of whether tailors' female relatives should be identified as family members protected by the tailors' guild or as individuals under the jurisdiction of the seamstresses' guild.

Q16:

The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. outline a scholarly debate over the impact of the Parisian seamstresses' guild
B. summarize sources of conflict between the newly created Parisian seamstresses' guild and the tailors' guild
C. describe opposing views concerning the origins of the Parisian seamstresses' guild
D. explore the underlying reasons for establishing an exclusively female guild in seventeenth-century Paris
E. correct a misconception about changes in seamstresses' economic status that took place in Paris in the late seventeenth century

Q17:

According to the passage, one source of dissatisfaction for Parisian seamstresses after the establishment of the seamstresses' guild was that
A. seamstresses were not allowed to make and sell clothing for all women
B. tailors continued to have the exclusive legal right to clothe men
C. seamstresses who were relatives of tailors were prevented from becoming members of the seamstresses' guild
D. rivalry between individual seamstresses increased, thus hindering their ability to compete with the tailors for business
E. seamstresses were not allowed to accept male tailors as members of the guild
Q18:

It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following was true of seamstresses employed by relatives who were members of the tailors' guild?
A. They were instrumental in convincing Louis XIV to establish the seamstresses' guild.
B. They were rarely allowed to assist master tailors in the production of men's clothing.
C. They were considered by some tailors to be a threat to the tailors' monopoly.
D. They did not enjoy the same economic and legal privileges that members of the seamstresses' guild enjoyed.
E. They felt their status as working women gave them a certain degree of independence from the patriarchal family.

Q19:

The author mentions the seamstresses' view of guild membership as a "mark of independence from the patriarchal family" (lines 40-41) primarily in order to
A. emphasize that the establishment of the seamstresses' guild had implications that were not solely economic
B. illustrate the conflict that existed between tailors and their female family members over membership in the tailors' guild
C. imply that the establishment of the seamstresses' guild ushered in a period of increased economic and social freedom for women in France
D. provide an explanation for the dramatic increase in the number of women working as seamstresses after 1675
E. indicate that members of the seamstresses' guild were financially more successful than were tailors' female relatives protected by the tailors' guild
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 18

Re: gwd #13 V 18 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 18:17
OA is bada.

I don't understnad the question 18.
After checking the answer, I kind of sensed why d could be the answer, but still cannot see why clearly.

This is my guess.

Even though family members who were employed by tailors did the same jobs as seamstresses, those family memebers were considered or treated differently, so there was a conflict or confusion about the identity of the family members.

Based upon this assumption or guess, I could conclude that the family members did not enjoy the same economic and legal~(same as d)

Please, help me understand.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 55

Re: gwd #13 V 18 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
16b
17a
18d
19e

Done in 4 min.

As for 1 B I believe the last sentence said it all
"At the conflict's center was the issue of whether tailors' female relatives should be identified as family members protected by the tailors' guild or as individuals under the jurisdiction of the seamstresses' guild. "

The paragraph evolved around the conflict btw 2 guilds

Got wrong in #19.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 16

Re: In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 04:37
Guys I have a doubt regarding 16 Q i.e Primary purpose

I came close A and B can someone please help me in eliminating A.

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 14

Re: In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 08:04
I got A too for 16. Can someone please explain. I think A is a better fit.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 162

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 4

Re: In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 08:50
Hi, Let me see if I can explain...

A only mentions the Seamstresses, NOT the tailors, but if you look at the passage it talks about both equally.

So the passage overall is talking about how the 2 guilds interacted and were the same/different. This is B.

I hope that makes sense..

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

CEO
CEO
Followers: 441

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2015, 03:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT 1: Q47 V29
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 496

GMAT ToolKit User
In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses' [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2015, 02:48
Q18:

It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following was true of seamstresses employed by relatives who were members of the tailors' guild?
A. They were instrumental in convincing Louis XIV to establish the seamstresses' guild.
B. They were rarely allowed to assist master tailors in the production of men's clothing.
C. They were considered by some tailors to be a threat to the tailors' monopoly.
D. They did not enjoy the same economic and legal privileges that members of the seamstresses' guild enjoyed.
>>The seamstresses, however, viewed .... Their guild was composed not of family units but of individual women who enjoyed unusual legal and economic privileges.
E. They felt their status as working women gave them a certain degree of independence from the patriarchal family.

Q19:

The author mentions the seamstresses' view of guild membership as a "mark of independence from the patriarchal family" (lines 40-41) primarily in order to
A. emphasize that the establishment of the seamstresses' guild had implications that were not solely economic
>>The conflict between the guilds was not purely economic, however. .....
Moreover, guild membership held very different meanings for tailors and seamstresses. To the tailors, ..... The seamstresses, however, ..........
B. illustrate the conflict that existed between tailors and their female family members over membership in the tailors' guild
>> Conflict was between 2 guilds and not the family members. Each has their own view/ perspective.
Any other suggestion to rule this out.
C. imply that the establishment of the seamstresses' guild ushered in a period of increased economic and social freedom for women in France
D. provide an explanation for the dramatic increase in the number of women working as seamstresses after 1675
E. indicate that members of the seamstresses' guild were financially more successful than were tailors' female relatives protected by the tailors' guild

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

In 1675, Louis XIV established the Parisian seamstresses'   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2015, 02:48