Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 00:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

A. his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced
B. his translation of the Illiad, a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced
C. his translation of the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it is
D. translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it as
E. translating the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
we need an "it" after pronounced. He pronounced that something was the greatest translation. So A & B are out.
In C , "it is" is incorect.

E uses past perfect incorrectly. Both events are in the past, the order of the events is clear we do not want to say that his translation completed before he began the translation. doesnt make sense. So my pick is D.

lexis wrote:
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

A. his translation of the Illiad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion, and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced
B. his translation of the Illiad, a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced
C. his translation of the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it is
D. translating the Illiad, a work that took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it as
E. translating the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 23:27
Why "pronounced it" is incorrect?

Or because we have t maintian parallelism

In this SC "pronounced" is used as a verb.

that took .........that pronounced

Please correct me if Iam wrong
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 03:57
I was deciding betwwen B & E . Went for B because of the unclear pronoun 'it" in E .

Also understand that E has a verb issue , with had taken ( past perfect is not needed , past tense is needed)
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
guess I am late...I narrowed it down to between B and D. Initially D seemed right because of the use of 'it' at the end referring to Illiad, but on closer investigation, the use of 'that' in the answer choices weeds out the need for 'it' at the end.

'and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced' clearly refers to the Illiad hence use of 'it' again at the end would be redundant and GMAT hates redundancies :)...

so thats the way I would have narrowed down to B. Honestly I didn't even look at the usage of 'took him seven years to complete' and 'took seven years until completion' but yea the former is the better use of words.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 09:55
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad,.................that literary critic Samuel Johnson...... pronounced the greatest translation in any language.

Can someone pl help me out ........ I have two queries here:-

Firstly, Isnt "his translation of the Illiad" wordy as compared to "translating the Illiad" ???

And the next is :-

Shouldn't Pronounced be followed by "as" to mean "and that literary critic Samuel Johnson pronounced as the greatest translation in any language"

Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 00:36
^^^^
Hi,
I am not denying that the answer is B given the choice options we have ......

But my point is that IF there would have been an AS after pronounced, wouldn't the answer have been better than the original sentence ???

Also, my query about the option being "wordy" still remains ??? If option B started with the words "translating..." , wouldnt that have been the perfect sentence ???
Or is there something wrong in saying translating rather than "his translation"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 19:59
IMO B...

This is an OG question .. OG12.. Q48

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Alexander Pope [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 22:07
Two questions here:

a) Why is "as" not necessary?
b) Could not we interpret that "had taken seven years" is before "to complete" in the time line? In this sense, past perfect would be correct.

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Parallel problem 3 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 04:41
I got it right, but OG (Q 48) answer explanation is confusing.
Request SC gurus to throw some light.
Attachments

og.JPG
og.JPG [ 54.26 KiB | Viewed 3764 times ]

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: Parallel problem 3 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 00:15
akbism wrote:

sorry to dig up an old thread, but i have a question about answer choices c and e.

In 1713, Alexander Pope began

the greatest translation in any language.

when i first read through the past-perfect seemed incorrect to me. the "had taken ... to complete" implied that the "completion" occurred before the "began", so I removed those answer choices. The OG explanation says nothing about the past-perfect being wrong in these answer choices, so I looked over these again. Perhaps the "had taken" is clarifying the sequence of Samuel Johnson's pronouncing.

"a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic samuel johnson pronounced...."

so when taken with the original verb of "began" it makes no sense, but with the third verb of "pronounced" it does?

I'm not in argument that B is the answer, I just want to know if the past perfect is incorrect in C and E.
Manager
Manager

Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 00:42
BDSunDevil wrote:
Between B and D: i think it is required. So D. further explanation needed from SC gurus.

it cannot be d

"a work" is an appositive modifying the noun it touches, "the illiad", then "that" refers back to that same "work". it's not the illiad that took seven years to complete, but instead the translation.
Manager
Manager

Re: Parallel problem 3 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 19:12
pinchharmonic wrote:
akbism wrote:

sorry to dig up an old thread, but i have a question about answer choices c and e.

In 1713, Alexander Pope began

the greatest translation in any language.

when i first read through the past-perfect seemed incorrect to me. the "had taken ... to complete" implied that the "completion" occurred before the "began", so I removed those answer choices. The OG explanation says nothing about the past-perfect being wrong in these answer choices, so I looked over these again. Perhaps the "had taken" is clarifying the sequence of Samuel Johnson's pronouncing.

"a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic samuel johnson pronounced...."

so when taken with the original verb of "began" it makes no sense, but with the third verb of "pronounced" it does?

I'm not in argument that B is the answer, I just want to know if the past perfect is incorrect in C and E.

can anyone clarify the use of past perfect here? I want to know if it's correct or incorrect
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 17:29
I picked the answer B:

A. Although parallelism is maintained, the first part doesn't tell us anything because it lacks a verb to go with the clause. "Taking..." acts a verb-ing modifier that I believe modifies "a work that," but a verb is still needed to complete the sentence.

B. This is the correct answer because parallelism is maintained use of past tense is correct.

C. The use of "it" is not needed because "that literary critic" already refers to the work. Therefore, "it" is redundant. Also, I don't think that past perfect tense is needed, especially since simple past tense is sufficient. My reasoning for not using past perfect tense in this situation is because it is chronologically clear how the events occur - the work took 7 years, and then it was pronounced. Does past perfect really add anything here?

D. "Translating" acts a verb-ing modifier and isn't correct by itself, but it messes with the modifier "a work..." because this modifier now seems to modify the lliad instead of the translation. The use of "it" is redundant.

E. Same as D. The "that clauses" are not parallel.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 13:23
Option B is the best fit in my opinion. C/E out because of past perfect tense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 99

In 1713, Alexander Pope began [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 08:00
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it is
I am very much aware that this sentence is wrong answer choice.
But i wanted to understand this sentence wit respect to sentence split
C1: Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad
C2:a work that had taken seven years to complete
C3:that literary critic Samuel Johnson pronounced it is
Already the clause C3 has subject and verb along with that an IC follows marked by it is. so this sentence becomes run-on sentence..Is my understanding correct

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 15:27
I am still confused about the answer B. I do agree with the sentence, however, I do think there should be an "as" at the end of the sentence. To me "and that SJ pronounced the greatest translation" doesn't sound correct. Shouldn't it be "and that SJ pronounced as the greatest translation"?? anyone??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 70

Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 20:33
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 11:37
Expert's post
guys don't you think that in D pronounced take an as which is necessary?

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 12:38
Guys need a quick clarification. I am convinced with option B, since all other choices have errors. But with B - my question is what is the role of "his" a possessive pronoun - how is it relevant here? is it not violating the possessive poison rule?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad, [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:08
Dear Experts ,

What I want to know is
If there two parallel actions in simple past does that by any chance means that 2 actions happened at the same time ?
that is why we need Past perfect tense to tell if the 2 actions happened at different time ? Am I right ?

So going by the same logic
a work that took him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced  the greatest translation in any language

Took and Pronounced are 2 actions in simple past . Did these 2 actions happened at the same time ?

So I thought we need Past perfect here !!
Kindly guide .

Thanks

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Re: In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Illiad,   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2013, 11:08