Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 18

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 22:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (01:57) correct 57% (01:01) wrong based on 149 sessions
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born. [u][/u]

A would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been

B took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

C would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being

D would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

E took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

i am going crazy about this questions. whats wrong with option B
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 23:22
I also selected b, but on closer look, D is the right answer.

The setting in the sentence is the period when the project started, and if you take that into account a past conditional tense seems to be an appropriate choice.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 09:04
Dammit, i also went for B.

But yeah, D is right.
Coz although is used to create contrast in this context. So, Although X would happen, Y happened.

Dammit, rookie mistake :)

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 10:44
Is your underlining in the OP correct?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 05-26-2012
GPA: 3.2
WE: Supply Chain Management (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 16:08
jallenmorris wrote:
Is your underlining in the OP correct?

I'm thinking no, I picked B as a result
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 36

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 19:06
Gotta love those 3/2 splits in the beginning. Get rid of B&E. Eliminate C because of "was being". I'm kind of stuck here between A&D, but it seems as though A flows better, so let's go A...

OA is D.
:(

Anyone have a good explanation on my miss of the tense?
Expert Post
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 2333 [0], given: 693

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 10:26
Expert's post
Based on the meaning of the sentence we are creating something in the past with an hypothetical time to do it, then the this was completed.

So looking at would we have A C and D. In A had been is wrong, in C was being so D is correct

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:59
hi, noticed that the sentence was in reporting style and hence used the tense sequence as per MGMAT which has either present+future or past+conditional in sequences. here would is conditional and past would be was born
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:59
hi, noticed that the sentence was in reporting style and hence used the tense sequence as per MGMAT which has either present+future or past+conditional in sequences. here would is conditional and past would be was born
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3438 [3] , given: 183

Re: verb tense [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary that would be more comprehensive than any other dictionary the world had ever seen. So how did it launch the effort? It launched the effort by starting its work on the Oxford English Dictionary. Even if this dictionary was born in 1860, it would take 60 years to be completed.

Error Analysis:

We must keep in mind here that the sentence is talking about all the events that took place in 1860. That’s the time period for this sentence.
This sentence correctly uses the conditional word “would take” because, the dictionary was just born in 1860. It was not completed then. So we are talking about a future event in past. Hence “would take” is absolutely correct. Use of “had been born” is incorrect because past perfect tense is used to denote the earlier of the two events that took place in the past. Past perfect establishes sequence between the two past actions. Here, we don’t have two past actions for 1860. Only the dictionary was born then. It is a general information, which should be written in simple past tense.

POE:

A would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

B took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was: Incorrect. The context of this sentence is set in 1860. The OED was not completed then. Hence, “took” is not the correct verb tense.

C would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being: Incorrect. The verb “was being born” suggests that this action was ongoing. This is not correct because the OED was born. The action of taking birth was completed already.

D would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was: Correct.

E took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be: Incorrect.
i. This choice repeats the same verb tense error of Choice B.
ii. Verb “about to be born” suggests that the OED was not born yet. This is not the intended meaning. The OED was born.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 16:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to   [#permalink] 27 May 2014, 16:25