Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [272]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Magoosh
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [112]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [33]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [25]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dict [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary that would be more comprehensive than any other dictionary the world had ever seen. So how did it launch the effort? It launched the effort by starting its work on the Oxford English Dictionary. Even if this dictionary was born in 1860, it would take 60 years to be completed.

Error Analysis:

We must keep in mind here that the sentence is talking about all the events that took place in 1860. That’s the time period for this sentence.
This sentence correctly uses the conditional word “would take” because, the dictionary was just born in 1860. It was not completed then. So we are talking about a future event in past. Hence “would take” is absolutely correct. Use of “had been born” is incorrect because past perfect tense is used to denote the earlier of the two events that took place in the past. Past perfect establishes sequence between the two past actions. Here, we don’t have two past actions for 1860. Only the dictionary was born then. It is a general information, which should be written in simple past tense.

POE:

A would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

B took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was: Incorrect. The context of this sentence is set in 1860. The OED was not completed then. Hence, “took” is not the correct verb tense.

C would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being: Incorrect. The verb “was being born” suggests that this action was ongoing. This is not correct because the OED was born. The action of taking birth was completed already.

D would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was: Correct.

E took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be: Incorrect.
i. This choice repeats the same verb tense error of Choice B.
ii. Verb “about to be born” suggests that the OED was not born yet. This is not the intended meaning. The OED was born.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [20]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dict [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
You will use would in the following instances.

When the main verb of the sentence is in past tense, and whey you want to express something that will be happening thereafter in the future, you will use the past tense of will i.e. would

E.g. I knew well even before the test that I would not make the grade.

Tom realized much later that going to the pub with Dick and Harry would cost him a fortune

But would also can be used to mark some polite plea such as

Would you mind getting me a glass of water!
Would you please give me a loan on my house!
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [4]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Between B and D. I think it is D.

1860 the Philological Society launched its effort || the Oxford English Dictionary was born - past indefinite.
(before 1860) the world had ever seen - past perfect
(after 1860) the project would take more than 60 years to complete - future in the past
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
@daagh, That's a great explanation! We use "would" to describe the future from a past tense point of view, which is the situation we have in this question. This usage isn't super common, but it's definitely good to know and is fair game for testing on the GMAT.

Another situation in which you'd see the "would" construction is with abstract hypothetical situations:

If the two companies merged, the resulting corporation would be unstoppable.
If I were rich, I would buy a house in the Bahamas.

In these types of conditional statements, the condition (or "if" statement) will be in the past tense and the result will have "would + verb root".
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
great explanation about the "took"/"would take" split daagh.

Another quick clue--the launch of the PS's effort *was* the birth of the OED, so those two tenses should match up. "Had been" is in the past perfect, and would imply that the birth happened *before* the other specified past event (the launch).

Sometimes if I have a question about whether to use a perfect tense or not, I do a quick sketch of the events in a timeline. Any event in the same "slot" along that timeline should have matching tenses.

[pre-1860 ]---------------[1860]---------------[post-1860]

[other dictionaries: "the world had ever seen"]-----[PS Launched effort/OED born]-----[project completed]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
To understand this question in its right perspective, let us put ourselves in 1860 and look ahead from then on.

In 1860, the project was just launched and certainly it had not taken 60 years nor took 60 years at the point. It would be taking a further 60 years to complete. Hence ‘took’ is wrong and ‘would take’ is right
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bookmarks
As referenced on this post: https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... orrection/

"Would take" = the period from 1860 to 60 years from that - so that would be 1860 looking forward til 1920ish

You would only use "took" if you were from the perspective of some future date (like today's present) and you looked back at 1860 and say that it took 60 years. But in that case, you would have to differentiate the distinct time of the "birthing" of the book and use "had been born". You need to do this to show which of the 2 past events happened first. The dictionary was born first, and then it as completed. So "it had been born"..and then "it was completed" is what we want.

So you have two options:
(1) would take......was born
"would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

or

(2) took...had been born..
""took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary has been born"
Hope that helps.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [9]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
monikaleoster wrote:
Please Explain

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

a.would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
b.took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
c.would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
d.would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
e.took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

Very difficult question, I think this is
Again Kudos to manhattan gmat!
"born" is being used as a metaphor (of course, since a dictionary can't literally be born :) ). In this case "born" means it was started. Logically, the start needs to occur before the completion.

A. Had been is incorrect. It means the dictionary was created before the launch of the effort.
B. two simple past tense (took and was born) indicates both essentially happened at around the same time. That means the dictionary was created at the same time it was started. That is NOT the case. In fact it happened 60 years after that. So we need "had been born" in this sentence
C. was being born is awkward. It means that the starting event of creating the dictionary is an ongoing process, which most certainly is not.
E. about to be born is incorrect. this means that the "birth" of the oxford dictionary happened after it was created. Not logical.

D. Correct option. "would" is not simple past. It is a conditional verb which goes fine with simple past "was born" unlike option B.
Hope this helps.
Souvik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [8]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Believe me when I got this one, I did not understand the question and got it wrong.
However, I invested about 1 hour to understand this question and I hope I'll never make this kind of a mistake again.
Let us look at the choices one by one -

A) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been

Look at these words- would and had been. Now for 'had' there must be 2 events in the past and one must have happened before the other. But 'would' is a form of conditional future tense. Hence wrong.

B) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

Look at these words - took and was. Both are in simple past. Now one event has surely occurred before the other. First the birth and then it was completed. So we cannot use both simple past terms here.

C) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being

Look at these 2 - would and was being. Was being is past progressive and would is conditional future. It makes no sense together.

D) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
As explained earlier, whenever a past tense and future tense need to be used together, one has to use conditional future and not simple future. He said that he would buy a car and not He said that he will buy a car.

E) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be
Took and was are both simple past. But one event happens after another and we cannot use simple past here
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos