Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 59 [4] , given: 14

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:47) correct 61% (00:49) wrong based on 188 sessions
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

A) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been

B) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

C) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being

D) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

E) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [6] , given: 14

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Friends,

I chose B as well during exam.

However I did some research and wanted to share it with you all.
Whenever something is in present tense, we use simple future tense.

Ex - He is saying that he will.......xyz
Simple Present + Simple Future

If something is said in past, use a conditional tense and not simple future
Ex - He said that he would........xyz
Simple past + Conditional future

Now in this question -

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

The first part before semi colon is perfect -
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen;
when one event happens before the other in past - we use 'had'.

The send part of the sentence -
although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.
So the birth happens before it's completion. and we are talking about past+future.
We have to use conditional here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [3] , given: 14

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 17:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi mun23,

Believe me when I got this one, I did not understand the question and got it wrong.
However, I invested about 1 hour to understand this question and I hope I'll never make this kind of a mistake again.
Let us look at the choices one by one -

A) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been

Look at these words- would and had been. Now for 'had' there must be 2 events in the past and one must have happened before the other. But 'would' is a form of conditional future tense. Hence wrong.

Look at these words - took and was. Both are in simple past. Now one event has surely occurred before the other. First the birth and then it was completed. So we cannot use both simple past terms here.

C) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being

Look at these 2 - would and was being. Was being is past progressive and would is conditional future. It makes no sense together.

As explained earlier, whenever a past tense and future tense need to be used together, one has to use conditional future and not simple future. He said that he would buy a car and not He said that he will buy a car.

E) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be
Took and was are both simple past. But one event happens after another and we cannot use simple past here

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1584 [3] , given: 249

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
As it looks to me, this is more of a problem of conjugating a modifier with its modified noun. The participial modifier- replacing - or - being replaced - are simply dangling without a connection to what it can modify. Immediately after the modifier phrase, what it ever it intends to modify must be present.

A. Machines replacing human labor, there was wide anticipation that

E. Human labor being replaced by machines, there was wide anticipation that

For this reason, we can reject A and E.

The next best thing will be to conjugate the two independent things by a sub-coordinating conjunction obviating the need for the modified noun to appear after the introductory clause.

Now analyzing each the choices of B, C and D,

B. When machines replaced human labor, there was wide anticipation ---- When denotes a happening at a particular point, while the text is more about generalization; meaning gets distorted and narrowed down

C. As machines replaced human labor, it was widely anticipated that ---- The best among the lot; As denotes a general happening and also denotes sort of an on-going tinge.

D. Insofar as machines replaced human labor, it was widely anticipated – - insofar as - means up to the point; as long as -; this conjunction also limits the scope of the intended generalization

C eventually

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 18

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
Came down to B and D for me. Guessed B. Although I don't know the rule here for why it's wrong. Great question. I'll definitely learn something new on this bad boy.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 14

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Friends,

I came across another question, similar to the one posted before.
Please have a look -

Machines replacing human labor, there was wide anticipation that the workweek would continue to become shorter.

(A) Machines replacing human labor, there was wide anticipation that
(B) When machines replaced human labor, there was wide anticipation
(C) As machines replaced human labor, it was widely anticipated that
(D) Insofar as machines replaced human labor, it was widely anticipated
(E) Human labor being replaced by machines, there was wide anticipation that

Kindly try this one and let me know your answers.

Cheers!

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 14

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 07:36
Thanks a lot rakeshd347.

I will surely 'do so' (All of us preparing for GMAT know that 'do so' is preferred to 'do it')

LOL :)

Cheers !!

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 46

Re: Oxford dictionary [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 14:30
CharuKapoor wrote:

Need every answer choice`s explanation.............
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 18:55
@daagh and CharuKapoor
I had initially opted 'B' as the answer, but when i saw the reasoning of daagh some how i couldnt digest it. How did you figure out that the sentence was a generalization and not referring to a specific time frame.

Yeah, "When" does refer to a particular time frame but in this case how did you come to a conclusion that it is a generalization and not to a particular time frame
SVP
SVP
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 07:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 542

Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 08:10
daagh wrote:
As it looks to me, this is more of a problem of conjugating a modifier with its modified noun. The participial modifier- replacing - or - being replaced - are simply dangling without a connection to what it can modify. Immediately after the modifier phrase, what it ever it intends to modify must be present.

A. Machines replacing human labor, there was wide anticipation that

E. Human labor being replaced by machines, there was wide anticipation that

For this reason, we can reject A and E.

The next best thing will be to conjugate the two independent things by a sub-coordinating conjunction obviating the need for the modified noun to appear after the introductory clause.

Now analyzing each the choices of B, C and D,

B. When machines replaced human labor, there was wide anticipation ---- When denotes a happening at a particular point, while the text is more about generalization; meaning gets distorted and narrowed down

C. As machines replaced human labor, it was widely anticipated that ---- The best among the lot; As denotes a general happening and also denotes sort of an on-going tinge.

D. Insofar as machines replaced human labor, it was widely anticipated – - insofar as - means up to the point; as long as -; this conjunction also limits the scope of the intended generalization

C eventually

Man that's as good an analysis as I have ever come across on this forum. Pity that you're not seen very often these days!
Re: In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 08:10