Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1925 she won a scholarship to study anthropology under

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In 1925 she won a scholarship to study anthropology under [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 02:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In 1925 she won a scholarship to study anthropology under Franz Boas at Barnard, and Zora Neale Hurston was the only Black student in the entire college.

A
B For studying anthropology under Franz Boas at Barnard she won a scholarship in 1925, and
C Winning, in 1925, a scholarship for studying anthropology under Franz Boas at Barnard,
D When she had won a scholarship in 1925 for studying antropology under Franz Boas at Barnard
E In 1925 when she won a scholarship to study antropology under Franz Boas at Barnard

please answer with your explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc2 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 05:34
chung wrote:
In 1925 she won a scholarship to study anthropology under Franz Boas at Barnard, and Zora Neale Hurston was the only Black student in the entire college.

A
B For studying anthropology under Franz Boas at Barnard she won a scholarship in 1925, and
C Winning, in 1925, a scholarship for studying anthropology under Franz Boas at Barnard,
D When she had won a scholarship in 1925 for studying antropology under Franz Boas at Barnard
E In 1925 when she won a scholarship to study antropology under Franz Boas at Barnard

please answer with your explanation

Answer should be "C", As it uses the modifiers correctly and affect the proper noun - Zora Neale Hurston.

Whats the OG ?

Dharmin
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 10:01
I would say E. But it will be very hard for me to explain.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 09:02
Hi

OA is E but i don't understand why c is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2004, 19:35
To answer why C is correct. In the original sentence. most of us have spotted the major error "the modifier" issue.

Answers C and E, correc them. Now to find why C is wrong. read the below sentence, you will see the difference..

1. I won a scholorship to study MBA in London Business School.
2. I won a scholarship for studying MBA in London Business School

(hope this comes true :-D ..coming to the point). Did u spot the error?. Do u see that the second one is not idiomatic. Well, thats the catch.

3. She won the scholarship TO STUDY.../ She won the scholarship for studying ..

I hope this helped.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

[#permalink] 26 May 2004, 19:35