Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1425 [1] , given: 245

In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

17% (02:37) correct 83% (01:14) wrong based on 18 sessions
In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

(A) wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

(B) had wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries had scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will made her dream come true
[highlight][/highlight]
© had wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but a resolute missionary will in a span of 15 years had made her dream come true

(D) wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will make her dream come true

(E) wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries would scoff at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by daagh on 18 Nov 2010, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 00:29
i think the C is the answer as everything is in the past and " but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will make her dream come true" is in future

if everything would have been in past with the first part ocurring before the other then " but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will make her dream come true" should be in past tense while "wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her" in past perfect tense
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 02:00
daagh wrote:
In 1950s, when Mother Theresa wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

(A) wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

(B) had wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries had scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will made her dream come true
[highlight][/highlight]
© had wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but a resolute missionary will in a span of 15 years had made her dream come true

(D) wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries scoffed at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will make her dream come true

(E) wanted to form an orphanage with only three pounds and God behind her, her adversaries would scoff at her, but in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

Ok. I have to admit that verb tense is my biggest weakness in SC. And this question just deals with the tenses.
I simply used POE, combined with my little knowledge of tenses, and arrived at the conclusion that A is the best answer.
B just sounds wrong. Too many uses of "had". Too much of past and future perfect.
C is incorrect because the last clause is wrong. "will in a span of 15 years had made..." awkward
D- Incorrect as there should be atleast one "had" in the sentence.
E- "would" is wrong.
Thats why I think A is the best answer.
And +1 to you for bringing out my weakness.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1425 [0], given: 245

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:16
Expert's post
Shall we wait until at least five answers for revealing the QA?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:32
B & C instantly out because both use the Past Participle when only the Simple Past is required

"Will had" is totally incorrect. Conditional tense should be 'would have'. Hence A, C, E can be negated on this context.
Also B conjugation goes as 'will made' which is also incorrect.

Hence only D remains.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1425 [0], given: 245

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:46
Expert's post
The discussion is off tangent. Here the word will is used as a noun and not as a verb - either transitive or auxiliary. Please review in the light of the above

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:49
daagh wrote:
Shall we wait until at least five answers for revealing the QA?

I have a feeling I am wrong on this one. Just waiting anxiously for the OA. Tenses really confuse the hell out of me. I mean I know how to use the tenses but thats not good enough.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:50
daagh wrote:
The discussion is off tangent. Here the word will is used as a noun and not as a verb - either transitive or auxiliary. Please review in the light of the above

Yah..thats what I had thought. I will stick with A because I think it is THE correct answer.

Last edited by shekharvineet on 17 Oct 2010, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:55
Oh WILL....Wow that was a trap and i fell for it!
On review was again stuck with A & D.
But in this case i shall go for A. :)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1425 [1] , given: 245

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept: When we have a series of events that occurred in the past and ended the past, the last of the events entails a simple past and the previous events, any number, one or more, will entail past perfect.
In the given issue
First event: In the 1950s, Mother wanted to form an orphanage
Second event: her adversaries scoffed at her
Third and the last event: in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

As per the thumb rule, the last event should be in the simple past as - a resolute missionary will made her dream come true -

The previous two events will take on the past perfect verbs as – Mother had wanted to …….. And her adversaries had scoffed at her

B only wins the tense debate, doesn’t it? Well! that has not come out as a choice so far.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 08:04
daagh wrote:
Concept: When we have a series of events that occurred in the past and ended the past, the last of the events entails a simple past and the previous events, any number, one or more, will entail past perfect.
In the given issue
First event: In the 1950s, Mother wanted to form an orphanage
Second event: her adversaries scoffed at her
Third and the last event: in a span of 15 years, a resolute missionary will had made her dream come true

As per the thumb rule, the last event should be in the simple past as - a resolute missionary will made her dream come true -

The previous two events will take on the past perfect verbs as – Mother had wanted to …….. And her adversaries had scoffed at her

B only wins the tense debate, doesn’t it? Well! that has not come out as a choice so far.

Very well explained. Another kudos for you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
Nice question. Tenses make me tense! Narrowed it down to A and B. Chose B. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:28
B.
since the event being past perfect
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 22:05
This is one of wired question I have seen on this forum .I respect Daagh ,but
We are here to learn from a question whatever it presents especially in GMAT context..
I don't think i got any thing from this question .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 03:13
daagh wrote:

[highlight][/highlight]

Past perfect required for this sentence. Hence B wins. I went for A initially, but realized my mistake.
The event that Mother Teresa wanted to form an orphanage happened before the 2nd even of her adversaries scoffing at her. Hence perfect tense necessary. C is wrong bcoz of modifier issues.
Re: Mother Theresa and the tense debate   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2011, 03:13