Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Clausesx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [168]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [35]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [7]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average [#permalink]
Kudos
I was between B and C.

I selected C. Actually I was much influenced by following question and I thought concise elliptical construction will work here as well.
according-to-public-health-officials-in-1998-massachusetts-59886.html

Further I rejected option B, because I thought there is no clear antecedent for the term the figure. I thought mortgage payment represented some portion is more symbolic than numeric.

I am not convinced that it is necessary to express these ideas in separate clauses and elliptical construction in C is not acceptable.

Experts could you please help understand me that why B is preferred to C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Send PM
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent [#permalink]
Kudos
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984

A. income; and forty-four percent in 1984
B. income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent
C. income, and in 1984 forty-four percent
D. income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure
E. income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984

Source: OG-10

Dear Mike,
Could you please help me fine tune concepts to use elliptical construction. I tried to solve above question and selected option C, but that was not the OA.
I would like to know up to what extent we can elide information and what rules we should keep in mind while testing an elliptical part. OA says C is too much elliptical :(.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984

A. income; and forty-four percent in 1984
B. income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent
C. income, and in 1984 forty-four percent
D. income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure
E. income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984

Source: OG-10

Dear Mike,
Could you please help me fine tune concepts to use elliptical construction. I tried to solve above question and selected option C, but that was not the OA.
I would like to know up to what extent we can elide information and what rules we should keep in mind while testing an elliptical part. OA says C is too much elliptical :(.

Dear Piyush,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, here's a blog I have written on this topic:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Let me say, as official questions go, this is not the sharpest, and I completely understand why this question did not make the cut to our more recent editions.

The rough rule is: in the second branch of parallelism, we can eliminate any and all repeated words, that is, words repeated from the first branch of parallelism, IF dropping these words does not create any ambiguity. The only thing that would limit how many words we could drop would be if the resulted shortened sentence were unclear in some way.

Choice (C) drops all the repeated words. That's good. Does this create ambiguity? Hmmm. Maybe. In my opinion, I think it's rather obvious that percent is parallel to percent, but maybe someone could misunderstand this as a 44% increase over and above what it had been in 1973. Hmmm. I don't know. The only conceivable problem with (C) is if someone felt we dropped so much that it creates ambiguity of some kind. I guess it's ambiguous whether there is ambiguity --- I don't know whether that falls within GMAC's definition of ambiguity, but I know GMAC doesn't like ambiguity at all. Perhaps percents lend themselves to verbal ambiguity a little more readily than do most other topics. I don't know. I find "too much ellipsis" a weak and unpersuasive reason, in and of itself, as to why (C) is wrong.

I suspect it was precisely concerns of this sort that led GMAC to cutting this particular question.

Those are my thoughts. Any questions?
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for reply. I think I should ignore this particular question and work on other recently published questions.
But I still have one last question: I would like to know to what the figure is referring in OA (B) ?

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
Thanks for reply. I think I should ignore this particular question and work on other recently published questions.
But I still have one last question: I would like to know to what the figure is referring in OA (B) ?

Dear PiyushK,
The word "figure" is indeed a complex term with many meanings; it's one of the more complex words in the English language. One meaning is "a number," especially a real-world number in a social or political context. If, say, a politician cites statistics about unemployment or defense spending or polls, that politician is citing "figures."

Thus, the "twenty-one percent" in the first part of the sentence is a "figure."

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Re: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average [#permalink]
Kudos
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male’s income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

(B) income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent
(C) income, and in 1984 forty-four percent

I have opted for B.
Ron explanation:-
"And" doesn't provide the stark contrast we want to emphasise.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
1. A semi colon will entail a full fledged independent clause after the punctuation. A is gone.

2 Both sides of the conjunction and have to be // and balanced. C is gone.
3. Two independent clauses can not be joined by a comma; D is gone
4. Income that rose is wrong modification. The mortgage payments rose. E is gone

B remains dodging the above mentioned errors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I do not understand why B is correct at all!

There is a rule that states a semi coln is only used when there are two independent clauses together.

Question: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

If we delete everything before the semi colon, to result in only... and forty-four percent in 1984.
The second clause of the sentance has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

We could be talking about anything from the change in number of harvested oranges to the change in number of teeth pulled out by a dentist.

Can somebody please expain why I am wrong, regarding my semi-colon rule.

Thanks in advance
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Kesterton2017 wrote:
I do not understand why B is correct at all!

There is a rule that states a semi coln is only used when there are two independent clauses together.

Question: In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

If we delete everything before the semi colon, to result in only... and forty-four percent in 1984.
The second clause of the sentance has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

We could be talking about anything from the change in number of harvested oranges to the change in number of teeth pulled out by a dentist.

Can somebody please expain why I am wrong, regarding my semi-colon rule.

Thanks in advance

Yes, in choice A, if we delete everything befor the semi colon, the remaining is meaningless. That's why the choice A is incorrect.

In choice B, the full sentence is:
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent

The second part is: In 1984 the figure was forty-four percent.

"The figure" here clearly refers to the representative of mortgage payments in an average thirty-year-old male's income. Hence, this part is full meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [4]
Given Kudos: 275
Kudos