Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest, the highest of the Himalayan mountains. Like the British in 1852, they used the age-old technique of “carrying in” sea level: surveyors marched inland from the coast for thousands of miles, stopping at increments of as little as a few feet to measure their elevation, and marking each increment with two poles. To measure the difference in elevation between poles, surveyors used an optical level—a telescope on a level base—placed halfway between the poles. They sighted each pole, reading off measurements that were then used to calculate the change in elevation over each increment. In sight of the peaks the used theodolites telescopes for measuring vertical and horizontal angles—to determine the elevation of the summit. The Chinese, however, made efforts to correct for the errors that had plagued the British. One source of error is refraction, the bending of light beams as they pass through air layers of different temperature and pressure. Because light traveling. down from a summit passes through many such layers, a surveyor could sight a mirage rather than the peak itself. To reduce refraction errors, the Chinese team carried in sea level to within five to twelve miles of Everest’s summit, decreasing the amount of air that light passed through on its way to their theodolites. The Chinese also launched weather balloons near their theodolites to measure atmospheric temperature and pressure changes to better estimate refraction errors. Another hurdle is the peak’s shape. When surveyors sight the summit. there is a risk they might not all measure the same point. In 1975 the Chinese installed the first survey beacon on Everest, a red reflector visible through a theodolite for ten miles, as a reference point. One more source of error is the unevenness of sea level. The British assumed that carrying in sea level would extend an imaginary line from the shore along Earth’s curve to a point beneath the Himalaya. In reality, sea level varies according to the irregular interior of the planet. The Chinese used a gravity meter to correct for local deviations in sea level.
Q32 It can be inferred from the passage that refraction would be most likely to cause errors in measurements of a mountain’s elevation under which of the following conditions?
A. When there are local variations in sea level
B. When light passes through humid air
C. When theodolites are used relatively far from the mountain peak.
D. When weather balloons indicate low air temperature and pressure.
E. When sea level has been carried in to Within five to twelve miles of the summit.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Which of the following best describes the purpose of the sentence in lines 23-25 (“The Chinese…the British”)?
A. Introduce a definition
B. Signal a transition in focus
C. Summarize the preceding paragraph
D. Draw a contrast between two different theories.
E. Present information that contradicts the Preceding paragraph.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Which of the following is NOT mentioned as a possible source of error in surveying mountain elevation?
A. Mirages
B. Refraction
C. Inaccurate instruments
D. Variations in sea level
E. Uncertainty about the exact point to be Measured
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Q35 The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. provide details about improvements to a process
B. challenge the assumptions underlying a new method
C. criticize the way in which a failed project was carried out
D. call for new methods to solve an existing problem
E. explain the theory behind a new technique
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 15:57
I got CBCA. What's the OA??

My MBA journey : mbafanatic.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 20:05
I got C B A A in 6 mins, whats is are the OAs??
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Manufacturing & Planning
WE 2: Supply Chain Management

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 07:31
CBCA for me too
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 13

Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 05:35
I got

1-C
2-B
3-C
4-A
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 01:54
I also got CBCA.

For the first question, Since its an inference question, the passage must contain proof sentences for the inference.

To reduce refraction errors, the Chinese team carried in sea level to
within five to twelve miles of Everest’s summit, decreasing the amount of air
that light passed through on its way to their theodolites

The above effectively means that the refraction error is closely related to distance of theodolite from the peak.==> C

D cannot be the answer, definition of refraction mentions bending of light due to difference in pressure and temperature and not absolute low pressure and low temperature.

Crick
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 703 [1] , given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
i think the OA is ... DBCA

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Re: RC - Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 03:51
MBAhereIcome wrote:
i think the OA is ... DBCA

OA= official answer

CBCA for me too
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 08:08
my answers are D,B,C and E but I kept searching and could not find the OA. Any one has it? Thnks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 23:51
Where's the OA for this?

I got BBCA and I need explanation :(

RC's my weak point

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 07:07
I got CBCA too .I think that might be the OA .
Someone please confirm !!

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 08:13
I got CBCA.Pls share OA.
How much should be the optimum time to solve this passage?

Study Daily to conquer GMAT.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 08:55
I also got CBCA, but RC is definitely my weakness. Hopefully somebody has the OA
Intern
Intern
ABI: 1085
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 07:38
This RC is from Set 26 Verbal.
Official Answer there : is D,B,C,A.
I marked : C,D,C,A

I disagree with Official Answer for 32 and I am not clear about 33.

==
Quoting Line 33-38 from the passage
To reduce refraction errors, the
Chinese team carried in sea level to
(35) within five to twelve miles of Everest’s
summit, decreasing the amount of air
that light passed through on its way to
their theodolites
This indicates that greater the distance of the point of measurement from Everest more is the refraction error. Option C satisfies this.
Let us try to see other options
-> This is cited as a diff problem from refraction. Line 50-52 indicate this.
-> Doesn't have a bearing on refraction as presence of humid air, without it resulting in several layers of diff temp and pressure zones, cannot result in refraction.
-> Variance in pressure and temp betweern the measured object and point of measurement is the reason for refraction. Low pressure and temp as long as it is constant won't make a difference.
E. When sea level has been carried in to Within five to twelve miles of the summit.
-> This resulted in a decrease in refraction.

===
I am not sure why Official Answer for 33 is

IMO transition in focus would have been applicable if
(1) We were introducing one of the subjects, Chinese or British, in Lines 23-25.
(2) We were discussing about one subject and moving on to the next subject from Line 25 onwards.

"(1)" is not true as there is mention of British and Chinese already in the passage. Line 1 for Chinese and Line 4 for British.
"(2)" is not true as we continue to discuss Chinese approach before and after these lines.

IMO "The Chinese" and "The British" indicate the approach followed and option (D) ." Draw a contrast between two different theories." comes closest to being the right answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 19:09
gmatfighter12 wrote:
my answers are D,B,C and E but I kept searching and could not find the OA. Any one has it? Thnks

I have the same answers

DBCE
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 134

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 11:48
abi1085 wrote:

==
their theodolites
This indicates that greater the distance of the point of measurement from Everest more is the refraction error. Option C satisfies this.
-> Doesn't have a bearing on refraction as presence of humid air, without it resulting in several layers of diff temp and pressure zones, cannot result in refraction.
-> Variance in pressure and temp betweern the measured object and point of measurement is the reason for refraction. Low pressure and temp as long as it is constant won't make a difference.

===

(1) We were introducing one of the subjects, Chinese or British, in Lines 23-25.
(2) We were discussing about one subject and moving on to the next subject from Line 25 onwards.

"(1)" is not true as there is mention of British and Chinese already in the passage. Line 1 for Chinese and Line 4 for British.
"(2)" is not true as we continue to discuss Chinese approach before and after these lines.

IMO "The Chinese" and "The British" indicate the approach followed and option (D) ." Draw a contrast between two different theories." comes closest to being the right answer.

You made a typographical error mentioned D as the OA for 33 whereas your explanation says C.

If your official answer source is correct,

Then the OA is

CBCA.

- Stay Hungry, stay Foolish -

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 11:29
eaakbari wrote:
abi1085 wrote:

==
their theodolites

===

You made a typographical error mentioned D as the OA for 33 whereas your explanation says C.

If your official answer source is correct,

Then the OA is

CBCA.

Would someone please confirm the OA is CBCA for this one? I think particullarly re the first question?
Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 09:57
The answer to the first problem MUST be C, because errors due to refraction, pressure etc. are only introduced when using a theodolite, and C is the only answer choice that mentions one.
Re: In 1975 Chinese survey teams remeasured Mount Everest   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 09:57