Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 03:07
Well harvesting pertains to a particular season, while production is over a year. So there is no point in comparing production and harvest. Hence C is the right answer.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 131

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 10

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thangvietnam, we contrast "fewer" and "less" as I discussed above, but not "few" and "less." Let me show some usages:

Fewer = a smaller number of something (a comparative word)

We have fewer visitors this week than we did last week.
My wife has fewer papers on the desk than I do.
There are five fewer men than women at the party.

Less = a smaller measurement or quantity of something (a comparative word)

I have less money than my brother.
If I had taken less time on question 7, I might have done better on the exam.
Cycling requires less upper body strength than rock climbing.

Few = a small number of something (not a comparative word)

We have had few visitors this week.
Few of my friends enjoy spicy food.
A few of my friends enjoy spicy food.

Note that these last two have different implications. When I say "few of my friends," I mean "not very many of my friends." I am emphasizing the small number. When I say "a few of my friends," I mean "several of my friends." I am emphasizing the fact that some friends *do* like spicy food.

I hope this list helps. Let me know if you had something else in mind, or if you have other questions.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 00:52
a few
means some things/persons

few
means
nearly no one/things.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 282

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 09:36
Could anyone tell me ... the 'countable' 'not countable' scenario here. HE talks about the production in percentages (25%). So shouldn't it be Fewer??

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 137

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2013, 09:28
Tip: If you are aware of your action nouns vs. concrete nouns, you will notice that "production" and "harvest" are both action nouns so in B they are parallel.

A few Examples:

Action nouns
change
growth
break
work
arrival
eat
eruption
explosion
demolition
suspension
etc...
-Gerunds (ending in -ing) can also be action nouns)-
eating
arriving
driving
walking
etc...

Concrete nouns
student
fire fighter
dog
pencil
rock
trees
rocking chair
smog
etc...

Don't mix these two types of nouns while you're scanning for parallelism/comparisons. Master these and see how much of a breeze parallelism begins to be.

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 75

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest . Plural. Rice production is singular

(B) less than the 1978 harvest

(C) less than 1978. Illogical . 25% less than 1978.

(D) fewer than 1978

(E) fewer than that of India's 1978 harvest

With percent we use "less" not "fewer". Thus, D , E are out.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 12:27
thevenus wrote:
"production"is non countable so "less than " should be used.
CDE Out
A Vs B
X less than Y
production less than harvest

X less than Y

It also conveys that C ic orrect?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1284 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 13:34
honchos wrote:
thevenus wrote:
CDE Out
A Vs B
X less than Y

X less than Y

Hi Honchos.

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest
Wrong.
- "production" is singular --> "those" is wrong.
- "production of the 1978 harvest" is redundant. "harvest" also means "production".

Correct.
"percent" is abstract number --> use "less", not "fewer". --> correct.

(C) less than 1978
Wrong.
- Comparison problem. "production" vs. "1978" <-- wrong.
- Should be "production" vs. "that in 1978" --OR-- "production" vs. "the 1978 harvest".

(D) fewer than 1978
Wrong.
- "percent" is abstract number --> Must use "less", not "fewer".
- Comparison problem: "production" vs. "1978"

Wrong.
- "that of the 1978 harvest" is redundant. "harvest" also means "production".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 22:51
pqhai wrote:
honchos wrote:
thevenus wrote:
CDE Out
A Vs B
X less than Y

X less than Y

Hi Honchos.

Wrong.
- "production" is singular --> "those" is wrong.
- "production of the 1978 harvest" is redundant. "harvest" also means "production".

Correct.
"percent" is abstract number --> use "less", not "fewer". --> correct.

(C) less than 1978
Wrong.
- Comparison problem. "production" vs. "1978" <-- wrong.
- Should be "production" vs. "that in 1978" --OR-- "production" vs. "the 1978 harvest".

(D) fewer than 1978
Wrong.
- Comparison problem: "production" vs. "1978"

Wrong.
- "that of the 1978 harvest" is redundant. "harvest" also means "production".

Hope it helps.

Hi,

We can count production as it is given, "production to about 41 millions"

few is used for countable things.
Few books, few stores.

Besides, little is used for uncountable things.
little water.

So, why can't we use few here as we can count the production in its unit?

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1284 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 00:03
jaituteja wrote:
Hi,

We can count production as it is given, "production to about 41 millions"

few is used for countable things.
Few books, few stores.

Besides, little is used for uncountable things.
little water.

So, why can't we use few here as we can count the production in its unit?

Thanks,
Jai

Technically, few is used for countable noun, less is used for uncountable noun.

Abstract numbers such as percentage is considered uncountable noun. Why? Because "percentage" itself is not complete. Percentage of what? That's why we call percentage is abstract number --> uncountable noun --> "less" is correct.

Please see the non-underlined part, which says "25 percent" <-- we can't use "fewer" here. You can ONLY count one percent, two percent,..... BUT you can't count one percent of 1978 harvest. That is abstract number.

In short, "Less" is used for uncountable, usually abstract nouns:level, quantity, rate, figure, percentage, etc. ect...

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 19:00
tanviet wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
No, size makes no difference. We always use "fewer" for countable and "less" for uncountable. Here, we use "less" rather than "fewer" because we are comparing the overall size of production, rather than the specific number of tons. This generally happens with weights and measures. For instance, I would say "I weigh less than 200 pounds," not fewer, because I am talking about a measurement, not a group of things. I'd also say "I want less than 3 ounces of coffee" or "I have less than 5 feet of rope left." Sure, we can count pounds, ounces, and feet, but we are using them to talk about an amount, not a number. 3 ounces of coffee is a way of saying how much coffee you have, but we're not counting individual coffee beans. Similarly, in the original problem, we're not counting individual grains of rice; rather, we're measuring overall rice production.

great, thank you, manhantan expert.

I am satisfied with oa but

In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent //less than those of the 1978 harvest.//

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

but "less than the 1978 harvest" modify "production" or " 41 million tons" pls, help

I have the same question, can someone help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 05:57
DmitryFarber wrote:
No, size makes no difference. We always use "fewer" for countable and "less" for uncountable. Here, we use "less" rather than "fewer" because we are comparing the overall size of production, rather than the specific number of tons. This generally happens with weights and measures. For instance, I would say "I weigh less than 200 pounds," not fewer, because I am talking about a measurement, not a group of things. I'd also say "I want less than 3 ounces of coffee" or "I have less than 5 feet of rope left." Sure, we can count pounds, ounces, and feet, but we are using them to talk about an amount, not a number. 3 ounces of coffee is a way of saying how much coffee you have, but we're not counting individual coffee beans. Similarly, in the original problem, we're not counting individual grains of rice; rather, we're measuring overall rice production.

we do not have the formal instruction of the use of less or fewer in the cases of measure/weight. and this is hard for us to obsorb/remember the usage in those cases.

in the book "advanced grammar in use by Martin", both less and fewer can be used with percentage. so, it is possible that both "less" and "fewer" are correct in this sc problem

another point

here the comparision is "amount of 41 tons" is 25 less than the 1978 havest. the sentence dose not compare "production" with the havest because "production" is general, not "production of 1979"

so the only reason why e is wrong is that "that" in e is wrong.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 06:23
"that" in e has no referent
if "that" in e refers to "production", "fewer than production of..." is wrong because "production" is non count.

this make e clearly wrong.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 59

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to [#permalink] New post 31 May 2014, 23:25

(C) less than 1978

(D) fewer than 1978

Production is non countable so less than is correct,leading out Option D,E.
Option A: This version exhibits redundant word choice.The pronoun those refers to the tons of the 1978 harvest. Both harvests are
measured in tons, and it is clearer and simpler to compare with the harvest itself, not with the tons of the harvest.
Option B: correctly compares the 1978 harvest with the 1979 harvest.
Option C: This version is illogical. It compares rice production in tons with a year, 1978.

Remember that potential unused turns into pain. So dedicate yourself to expressing your best.

Re: In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to   [#permalink] 31 May 2014, 23:25