Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1161 [426]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [127]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [68]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [57]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
carlito wrote:
Can someone please explain me what is wrong with A?
the correct answer is B. however, don't we lose the meaning of the sentence when we bring new verb "had grown" ?

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average
of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing
household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six
hours a week.

A. chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours
a week
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly
six hours a week
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were
spent in 1997
D. chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours
a week in 1997
E. chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a
week in 1997

OK, first of all I will be honest and say I don't love this problem. Choice B uses a semi-colon, which the GMAT uses to connect two independent clauses, but I don't think that the 2nd clause is truly independent.

Now that I have that off my chest :)...the problem with A is really around meaning and verb tense. It doesn't make much sense to say that by 1997 they (students) had spent nearly six hours. That verb tense, the past perfect, is used to describe a past action that precedes some other past action (in this case the year 1997). In essence, choice A is saying that at some point before 1997 the students spent 6 hours a week. We aren't sure if that is a new average or a one-time deal. The better setup would have been: "by 1997 they were spending nearly six hours a week" so we would know that in 1997 the hours per week was at 6 instead of 2.5.

The verb tense in choice B is the same, past perfect, but the subject is different. Now we are talking about the growth of the figure (average hours per week). It makes sense to say that by 1997 the figure had grown to 6 hours - in other words, we have figure that grows from an average of 2.5 in 1981 to nearly 6 by 1997.

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [32]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Re: In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week: had spent, means an action was already completed, even before a later moment (which here can be by 1997) e.g. when i say- by 1997 i had written 2 novels - it means that i completed the writing of the two novels by the year of 1997. This is not the sense which is implied in the original sentence here.the 'spending' of the 6 hours is not over.. here intention is to compare a trend of how many hours on an average were spent by children in 1981 and 1987, and well, to also focus on the increase in this figure
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week: the option follows all grammatical rules- the clause following the semi colon is independent. that figure is clearly referring back to 'the average number of hours...' had grown is rightly used to indicate a completed action - it shows that the growth in the FIGURE is completed, not that the spending of the hours is completed (as in A)
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997: whereas, intending to bring a comparison in the sentence, needs to be a parallel marker. here the part before whereas is in active voice, while the part after whereas is in passive..that i think by itself makes this option wrong, other than the fact that it loses the emphasis on the growth of the average hours.
D. chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours[/color]a week in 1997: again, i think , two sides of the comparison are not parallel- the clause 'children spent x doing y' is compared here with 'a figure of..'
E. chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997: Misplaced modifer - that is modifying chores!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [29]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

(A) chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week
(B) chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
(C) chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
(D) chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997
(E) chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997

A quick-fix to this topic in the hall would be:

In 1997 is a wrong expression, implying that the figure shot up nearly three times in just that particular year, on the contrary, we all know that it must have been a progressive phenomenon. C, D, and E are out.
By using the pronoun they, this choice wrongly implies that the same children of 1981, nearly 16 years later in 1997 (were they even children in 1997?) spent six hours. Kick A out.
This leaves us with B. It is also known that using the past perfect for the later past event is a ploy by GMAT these days. Vote B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [24]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
humtum0 wrote:
if two events happened in the past . The recent event should be in simple past and the earliest of the two events should be in past perfect tense...How this is followed in this SC?

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week

here both the events are in past and are in independent clauses.hence its not necessary that clause 1 and clause 2 should have tense dependency like simpl past and past perfect
eg is :
ramesh left for school at 8am.he had had his breakfast in the morning.

here the scenario different :
ramesh left for school usually at 8 am after excersising;his this particular habit had grown over following months.
had grown implies an even which continued for a while or for a time frame rather than suggesting which occured first.

this is how i understood the context here.
I hope this explanation clears !!
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
humtum0 wrote:
Source: GMAT Sets

Need some explanation:

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing
household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

A. chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week -> had spent is not correct since still the process is ongoing one.
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week -> this sounds correct IMO B
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997 -> this is wrong since <active clause>whereas <passive clause>
D. chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997-> are we comparing household chores . this is ambiguous
E. chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997-> what figure.that is ambiguous

Please discuss your ans. , if possible

this is a case of independent clause.hence the second sentence need not depend on first.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [4]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I am not sure, why lot of questions are not coming in the original form.

Here is the correct version of the question:

sc-in-1981-children-in-the-united-states-spent-68662.html

the question:
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing
household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

A. chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
D. chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997
E. chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997

Please discuss your ans. , if possible
OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [10]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
By POE , only B is the viable option. But why do we need to use "had grown"?? I was researching around and found the below explanation :

" Answer choice B is correct. The verb form "had grown" is the past perfect. Past perfect is used to indicate that a past event (let's call it Event A) occurred prior to some other point in the past (Point B), and served as a kind of background or lead-in to that other point in time.

Often Point B is described as an event, using a past tense verb ("By the time we _got home_, we _had already eaten_ all the chips" -- 'got home' is the B, the point in the past that serves as a kind of reference point, and 'had already eaten' is the A, the event that came *prior* to that) but it doesn't have to be. In this case, Point B, the point in the past, is given simply as "1997," and the form "had grown" is correctly used to indicate that the number grew prior to 1997.""
If someone has a better explanation can please let me know ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
tejal777 wrote:
Okay I understood why D is wrong and B is right w.r.tverb tense and everything..somebody said that in D there is wrong comparison wheres that is not the case in B.Can somebody please explain what exactly is compared and how in both choices B an D??

in c, d and e - you see 'in 1997' where as A and B reads 'by 1997'. So the sentence reads that in 1981 the figure was x; by 1997 the figure had grown to Y. - 'had' is used correctly in A and B because 'by' is used...
instead 'at 1997' then the sentence should have been in simple past.

and i think A is rejected because of 'they'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
carlito wrote:
Can someone please explain me what is wrong with A?
the correct answer is B. however, don't we lose the meaning of the sentence when we bring new verb "had grown" ?

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average
of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing
household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six
hours a week.

A. chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours
a week
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly
six hours a week
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were
spent in 1997
D. chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours
a week in 1997
E. chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a
week in 1997

Can you plz put your first sentence with the OA in the protected "reveal" part. It will avoid some to be influenced by knowing directly the OA! Thxs!

I personnally narrow it down B and C. Had problem with C but the parallel structure is not respected, so chose B!

For A, the problem is that we do not know what "they" refers to (could be hours, chores...)!

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
HI E-GMAT,
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.
A. spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week
B. spent slightly less than an average of two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
C. had spent slightly less than two and a half hours, on an average, per week doing household chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
D. spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997
E. spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997

my queries is , Once the time frame is mention in the choices by In 1981 and By 1997 , then why we required past perfect tense? Could you please help me where I'm getting wrong .

Secondly , In choice B , could you please explain how the second clause is a Independent clause ,which started with "by 1997" construction ?.

Finally ,Choice C Isn't it the "compared with a figure" is a correct modifier?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos