Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1983 Argonia s currency, the argon, underwent a reduction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

In 1983 Argonia s currency, the argon, underwent a reduction [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 21:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (02:48) correct 20% (02:32) wrong based on 14 sessions
In 1983 Argonia’s currency, the argon, underwent a reduction in value relative to the
world’s strongest currencies. This reduction resulted in a significant increase in
Argonia’s exports over 1982 levels. In 1987 a similar reduction in the value of the
argon led to another increase in Argonia’s exports. Faced with the need to increase
exports yet again, Argonia’s finance minister has proposed another reduction in the
value of the argon.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the finance
minister’s plan will not result in a significant increase in Argonia’s exports next year?

A. The value of the argon rose sharply last year against the world’s strongest
currencies.
B. In 1988 the argon lost a small amount of its value, and Aronian exports rose
slightly in 1989.
C. The value of Argonia’s exports was lower last year than it was the year before.
D. All of Argonia’s export products are made by factories that were operating at
full capacity last year, and new factories would take years to build.
E. Reductions in the value of the argon have almost always led to significant
reductions in the amount of goods and services that Argonians purchase from
abroad.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 21:40
Acc3ss wrote:
In 1983 Argonia’s currency, the argon, underwent a reduction in value relative to the
world’s strongest currencies. This reduction resulted in a significant increase in
Argonia’s exports over 1982 levels. In 1987 a similar reduction in the value of the
argon led to another increase in Argonia’s exports. Faced with the need to increase
exports yet again, Argonia’s finance minister has proposed another reduction in the
value of the argon.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the finance
minister’s plan will not result in a significant increase in Argonia’s exports next year?

currencies.
slightly in 1989.
C. The value of Argonia’s exports was lower last year than it was the year before.
D. All of Argonia’s export products are made by factories that were operating at
abroad.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

I think this is an easy question - but again, maybe that is because I am an economist :)

A. Doesn't tell us anything about whether a decline in the argon will boost exports.
B. Offers weak support for the reverse of the claim that we are asked to support.
C. We don't know the value of the argon in "last year and the year before".
E. Tells us that a reduction in argon leads to decreased imports => irrelevant.

D. If all exporting companies are working at full capacity now and it will take years to increase this capacity, it's impossible to immediately increase exports. Hence this is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 60

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 22:10
Very easy. I believe this is a sub-600 level Q.

Never, never, never give up

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 22:54
I dont understand how the answer is coming here.. may be I am so weak in the economy topics.. can anyone please explain this to me.. thanks..
Manager
Manager

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 00:41
andershv wrote:
Acc3ss wrote:
value of the argon.

currencies.
slightly in 1989.
abroad.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

I think this is an easy question - but again, maybe that is because I am an economist :)

A. Doesn't tell us anything about whether a decline in the argon will boost exports.
B. Offers weak support for the reverse of the claim that we are asked to support.

D. If all exporting companies are working at full capacity now and it will take years to increase this capacity, it's impossible to immediately increase exports. Hence this is the answer.

This certainly isn't a sub 600 question .. You explanation seems fine but we are provided data only till 1987. The need for another increase in export may be next year or may be after 100 years .. in that duration .. more factories may or may not have been built.. and thus the present industries may or may not be able to supply the increased exports ..

I hope ^^ makes sense ..

I guess a bit more elaborate explantion will do ..
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 6

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 01:20
This post received
KUDOS
Acc3ss wrote:
andershv wrote:
Acc3ss wrote:
value of the argon.

currencies.
slightly in 1989.
abroad.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

This certainly isn't a sub 600 question .. You explanation seems fine but we are provided data only till 1987. The need for another increase in export may be next year or may be after 100 years .. in that duration .. more factories may or may not have been built.. and thus the present industries may or may not be able to supply the increased exports ..

I hope ^^ makes sense ..

I guess a bit more elaborate explantion will do ..

I don't think that this is a sub-600 Q and I never stated so. I just said that I found it easy, which I should since I'm an economist.

Allow me to elaborate: In D we are told that the exporting factories are working at full capacity and it will take a couple of years to increase this capacity (by building new factories). This means that there is no way to increase exports in the forthcoming year. Since we are asked to find a claim which supports the notion that the finance ministers plan (to decrease the argon in order to boost exports) will not work, statement D fits the bill perfectly. Again, this is due to the fact that D states that there is no way to increase exports in the next year. Therefore the finance minister's plan will not increase exports.

I hope this helped. If not, please let me know.
Manager
Manager

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 01:27
Ah .. i guess its more clear to me now .. thanks a ton. kudos +1 for you

PS: that "sub 600" was directed towards barakhaiev, although i didn't mentioned it there .. that might have caused the confusion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 01:39
Acc3ss wrote:
Ah .. i guess its more clear to me now .. thanks a ton. kudos +1 for you

PS: that "sub 600" was directed towards barakhaiev, although i didn't mentioned it there .. that might have caused the confusion.

Ah ok, I missed that one. I'm glad that it helped!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 16:40
This looked like easy question, though because it was too easy I was almost tempted to ignore the correct answer. :)

Never give up,,,

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 10:59
Expert's post
Since Argonia’s factories are already operating at
full capacity, the country has reached its production limit (at least for now). The price won't cause an increase in exports at this stage.

Last year: 200 units of products, at 100 Argons per unit.
This year: 200 units of products, at 50 Argons per unit.

Only the price has changed. The quantity remains the same.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Argonia’s currency [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 02:04
nice very informative
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In 1983 Argonia s currency, the argon, underwent a reduction [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 21:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In 1983 Argonia s currency, the argon, underwent a reduction   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2014, 21:17