Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:36
I agree w/the OA. Just because a new instrument was invented does not mean that it was used to measure pollutant levels in the atmosphere.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:31
Minheequang wrote:
One more doubt about OA

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.
Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

I too chose D

but why can't we think it that way...

the question doesn't ask for the reason for decrease in pollution.. it asks which one is least helpful in explaining pollution levels so considering that

I think B is correct answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:48
This question is very interesting. It is asking for the LEAST helpful answer that supports the assertion not the the answer that weakens the arguement. I must read more carefully. Good question!

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 13:30
A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures. = the mayor accepting money does not contribute much to the air pollution control.(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 13:31
urrghh.. I chose B first, but went with D....lord jesus help me! :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 06:20
The OA says B so I guess B is correct. However I see quite a few people saying D. Could it be that the OA is wrong?

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 06:38
In D SINCE THE MAYOR ACCEPTED DONATION,... SO HE EXEMPTED THOSE LOCAL INDUSTRIES FROM AIR P[OLLUTION CONTROL MEASURES .,,THAT MEANS NOW POLLUTION CREATED BY THOSE INDUSTRIES IS NOT TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT WHILE CALCULATING AIR POLLUTION LEVELS.

that gives us a reason for why pollution levels decreased .......

in that case only B sounds better.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden, Rotman, Oxford Said.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 13:22
MrEasy wrote:
I agree w/the OA. Just because a new instrument was invented does not mean that it was used to measure pollutant levels in the atmosphere.

"and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography." - So we cannot deny the new instrument was NOT used.
If this is true evaluating it would reveal the changes in levels.

(D) - what was the impact of Mayor accepting money? - I only see an indirect relation to Mayor accepting money -> Companies exempt (we dont know if they were pollutant companies or Green companie) -> (hypothically) So did they start increasing pollution? -> if so did pollution change levels?

So many ifs and buts.. so i think answer is D.

Good Question !!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top Taiwanese university

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 00:56
dont look too much into it, it's D trust me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 01:03
I vote for D as well..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 23:01
B is the right answer because accuracy doesnt affect the smog allert days whereas all other options specify the reason for smog alert days.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 07:46
shalu wrote:
In D SINCE THE MAYOR ACCEPTED DONATION,... SO HE EXEMPTED THOSE LOCAL INDUSTRIES FROM AIR P[OLLUTION CONTROL MEASURES .,,THAT MEANS NOW POLLUTION CREATED BY THOSE INDUSTRIES IS NOT TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT WHILE CALCULATING AIR POLLUTION LEVELS.

I agree with this and that was the reason why I crossed out D. I only got B through POE and spent A LOT of time on this 2:34 :(

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 09:18
tough one.....can any one provide more info about why B is correct?
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 19:50
bigfernhead wrote:
I recall this question and

The OA is B apparently, because even though the gas spectometer was invented, it doesn't mean it was used.

But I'm still sticking with D! :-)

I think in these questions we are suppose to accept the given answers as true because these are second family questions (Resolve the paradox-least). So, I think B can't be answer as it can explain the paradox (Old meter was giving wrong reading and when it was replaced with new meter then it started giving correct reading). So, I think answer is D. What is the source of the question.
Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 19:57
sonnco wrote:
shalu wrote:

I agree with this and that was the reason why I crossed out D. I only got B through POE and spent A LOT of time on this 2:34 :(

I don't agree with this because meter don't use to calculate air pollution with name of industry attached to it. So, how it is possible to not take into account the amount of air pollution produced while calculating? I think, it can be interpreted as- those industries will not be panalised or they are free to proudce more pollution. I will still go with D.
Manager
Manager

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 20:02
Pkit wrote:
ImJun wrote:
dont look too much into it, it's D trust me

A lot of people vote for D, I am as well. Source is 1000 series of CR questions.
This is badly constructed CR question, because a lot of people stuck on B/D answer choice. Here is a lot to assume either in B or D.

Here is the comment from a canadian istructor who scored 800.

"Who cares?
This is a garbage 1000cr question. You may as well have some random person design a question, and then feel bad because you can't choose between two answers. Practicing on these questions can HURT you more than it can help you.
rce be
People think more questions, more practice, better off. But if the kind of questions you are working on the are badly designed then a reason for why a right answer is right or why a wrong answer is wrong may not even be applicable on real GMAT questions. You might take away learnings that are bad information on the real test!"
(source beatthegmat.com)

May I know who is the maker of these 1000series? In sentence correction also I have come across so many mistakes in their question. Now in CR also!!! Who has produced these shits to waste the time???? It's better to master 100 questions of OG then solving these 1000 questions, which will waste your time and weaken your confidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 21:08
1986 20
1987 31 ----> new law
1988 39
1989 16

IMO B.
I was stuck between A and B actually.

Answer choice D -- Actually explains why there was a surge in cases in 1988. Because some industries were not being controlled by the law due to bribes.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 15:08
While I think it's quite a poor question, it appears some people have misunderstood the implications of answer choice D. In 1988, it was found that the mayor had exempted some industries from air pollution controls. If that's the case, those companies were exempt in a period of time *leading up to 1988*. If those companies were, after the discovery of the bribes, then required to comply with air pollution controls, that would help to explain the decrease in pollution in 1989.
Answer D does not, as some people have suggested above, give reason to think pollution ought to have increased after 1988.

I suppose B is the best answer here, but the question isn't worthy of study.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 18:37
Minheequang wrote:
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.

Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in [highlight]explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989[/highlight]?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.

The best explanation I found on internet on this question seems to be at the below link..
http://www.beatthegmat.com/the-city-of- ... html#94170

This explanation convinced me properly.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 22:13
Very interesting. The problem I have with CR's is maintaining absolute concentration. I tend to get ten right then two wrong in a row. I need to build some stamina since misinterpreting one word can make the difference between right and wrong.
Re: In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2012, 22:13