Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 22:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (02:26) correct 71% (01:39) wrong based on 757 sessions
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.

Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: doing good things...
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1234
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [2] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 08:17
2
This post received
KUDOS
ImJun wrote:
dont look too much into it, it's D trust me



A lot of people vote for D, I am as well. Source is 1000 series of CR questions.
This is badly constructed CR question, because a lot of people stuck on B/D answer choice. Here is a lot to assume either in B or D.

Here is the comment from a canadian istructor who scored 800.

"Who cares?
This is a garbage 1000cr question. You may as well have some random person design a question, and then feel bad because you can't choose between two answers. Practicing on these questions can HURT you more than it can help you.
rce be
People think more questions, more practice, better off. But if the kind of questions you are working on the are badly designed then a reason for why a right answer is right or why a wrong answer is wrong may not even be applicable on real GMAT questions. You might take away learnings that are bad information on the real test!"
(source beatthegmat.com)
_________________

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 930 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 06:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:
still not quite convinced with B :-D


Hi TheNona,

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.

Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.

The question asks us to find an answer choice that is LEAST helpful in explaining the pollution levels between 1986 and 1989. (B) may explain why the smog alerts decreased in 1989, but it will not explain the rise in pollution level in 1987 or 1988.

(D) on the other hand helps to explain the levels, because the Mayor "was found" to have accepted donations and exempted industries from pollution control measures. In 1988 it was found, so it is possible that he could have been taking donations in the past also; it could explain the pollution levels in 1987 and 1988. Thus, (D) explains.


Hope this helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 08:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
I recall this question and

The OA is B apparently, because even though the gas spectometer was invented, it doesn't mean it was used.

But I'm still sticking with D! :-)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 42

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 10:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:
I recall this question and

The OA is B apparently, because even though the gas spectometer was invented, it doesn't mean it was used.

But I'm still sticking with D! :-)


B is right

Firstly, Argument is asking about variation in pollution level from 86 to 89
and What measure do we have in argument - number of occurrences/ frequency of alert days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. (highlighted part is in the first line of arg.)

Secondly, What's wrong with D - if some industries are getting exemption "from air pollution control measures."
Then, surely frequency will be affected.

B is right just because of what 'bigfernhead' has mentioned about B.
Hope it helps !
_________________

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 8

Re: In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
B, it's the right answer. B said that a new gas spectrometer was invented, but we dont know if it was used!!!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 840
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 22:25
D

if D were true then why is there a decrease in pollutants in 1989, there should have been an increase
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 02:26
bigtreezl wrote:
D

if D were true then why is there a decrease in pollutants in 1989, there should have been an increase

Yes, but it's not OA

I wanna check more posts before deciding whether the OA is wrong..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 06:30
Minheequang wrote:
One more doubt about OA

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.
Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.


A) Explains why number reduced on 1988
B) This does not. If more accurate then the numbers should have increased.
C) Explains. Now new threshould is there, which maybe greater than the previous one.
D) Explains. Since companies exempted from air pollution measures, hence the decrease.
E) Since min 2 years required to break down the pollutants, hence the effects seen after 2 years..

IMO B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 332
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 06:46
I also selected B initally. but bigtreezl is drawing be to D.

(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented. (I belive this does not give any explaination for the pollution b/w 1986 to 1989 )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 06:57
imanonymoususer wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
One more doubt about OA

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.
Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.


A) Explains why number reduced on 1988
B) This does not. If more accurate then the numbers should have increased. -->From which info can you say that it will increase ? I can assume that because a new monitor machine is more accurate, it will prove less smog alert case which otherwise will prove positive. The initial problem in this case is that the control measures didn't work, but a new spectrometer helps solve the problem
C) Explains. Now new threshould is there, which maybe greater than the previous one.
D) Explains. Since companies exempted from air pollution measures, hence the decrease. --> I don't think so. A number of companies are exempted from controlled pollution measures, it means that such companies will pose more pollution. So why does the case of smog alert become fewer ? --> it strengthens the discrepancy
E) Since min 2 years required to break down the pollutants, hence the effects seen after 2 years..

IMO B
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 840
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 08:51
bigfernhead wrote:
I recall this question and

The OA is B apparently, because even though the gas spectometer was invented, it doesn't mean it was used.

But I'm still sticking with D! :-)



wow, what a dirty trick! good question though
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 10:48
IMO D too
If some companies are exempted, it is not going to bring pollution levels down
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 17:04
Anyone else ?

There's one more thing that makes D the best answer: "in 1988" --> indefinite time, so I can assume that it happened at the early 1988, affecting the whole year 1988 and 1989, but why the 2 year had 2 different outcome ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 00:07
Minheequang wrote:
imanonymoususer wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
One more doubt about OA

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.
Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.


A) Explains why number reduced on 1988
B) This does not. If more accurate then the numbers should have increased. -->From which info can you say that it will increase ? I can assume that because a new monitor machine is more accurate, it will prove less smog alert case which otherwise will prove positive. The initial problem in this case is that the control measures didn't work, but a new spectrometer helps solve the problem
C) Explains. Now new threshould is there, which maybe greater than the previous one.
D) Explains. Since companies exempted from air pollution measures, hence the decrease. --> I don't think so. A number of companies are exempted from controlled pollution measures, it means that such companies will pose more pollution. So why does the case of smog alert become fewer ? --> it strengthens the discrepancy
E) Since min 2 years required to break down the pollutants, hence the effects seen after 2 years..

IMO B


Agreed that introduction of new spectrometer could have also cause less smog alerts.
All the more reason why it "LEAST" explains the air pollution levels.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 06:46
what's the final OA?!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 258
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 06:56
prinits wrote:
what's the final OA?!

OA is B, which I'm struggling against
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 652
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 23:01
I am not convinced on B. D is my choice becuase whether the new meter is used is beyond the argument.
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Schools: Wake Forest Evening
WE 1: ~12 years total
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 33

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 06:59
I still like D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 53
Location: Alberta, Canada
Schools: Queen's E-MBA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Los Diablos [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:20
The questions is "what would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels" and D is not at all helping in explaining, it is rather helping to weaken the conclusion. I am convienced with B (though didn't ans at) because it is the LEAST likely reason for the decrease.
_________________



Please give KUDOS if you like the post

Re: Los Diablos   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2010, 10:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air BlueRobin 29 26 May 2010, 04:06
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air cybera 9 14 Jul 2005, 13:51
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air mbamantra 13 26 Apr 2005, 07:31
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air karun_aggarwal 0 09 Apr 2005, 15:07
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air doggita 14 24 Oct 2004, 16:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 60 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.