Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1987, an environmental action group reported a 65-percent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
In 1987, an environmental action group reported a 65-percent [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 19:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

51% (01:41) correct 49% (00:59) wrong based on 21 sessions
In 1987, an environmental action group reported a 65-percent response rate to a questionnaire sent to all of its members. The subject of the questionnaire was ocean dumping. On the basis of these results, the group expects a 65-to-70 percent response rate to its upcoming questionnaire on air pollution.

The environmental group’s expectation is based on which of the following assumptions?

a) The group’s membership has not declined by more than 5 percent since 1987.
b) The same number of surveys will be distributed as were distributed in 1987.
c) People who are concerned about ocean dumping are even more concerned about air pollution.
d) The response rate of one questionnaire can be predicted from that of another.
e) The total amount of pollution today is the same as it was in 1987.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 214 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
D.
a) even if membership has declined, the argument talks about percentage of responses which is not dependent on membership
b) absolute number of surveys is not relevant as even with smaller or higher number of responses, percentage of responses can be the same or can vary
c) stem does not specify anything about comparison between ocean and air.
e) this cannot be inferred based on the stem.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 02:26
This post received
KUDOS
IEsailor wrote:
In 1987, an environmental action group reported a 65-percent response rate to a questionnaire sent to all of its members. The subject of the questionnaire was ocean dumping. On the basis of these results, the group expects a 65-to-70 percent response rate to its upcoming questionnaire on air pollution.

The environmental group’s expectation is based on which of the following assumptions?

c) People who are concerned about ocean dumping are even more concerned about air pollution.
d) The response rate of one questionnaire can be predicted from that of another.

"On the basis of these results" in the conclusion leads to D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 03:00
a) The group’s membership has not declined by more than 5 percent since 1987.(Irrelevant)

b) The same number of surveys will be distributed as were distributed in 1987.(irrelevant)

c) People who are concerned about ocean dumping are even more concerned about air pollution.(parallel reasoning still incorrect)

d) The response rate of one questionnaire can be predicted from that of another.(if this is incorrect and prediction is not possible then argument falls so correct ans)

e) The total amount of pollution today is the same as it was in 1987.(irrelevant)
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 15:58
This post received
KUDOS
I think that I have found a key of tackling assumption questions.

As per theory Assumption is an unstated evidence, and that unstated evidence is our answer. So let's put every option in the passage before conclusion and re-read the passage. If you practice the same it will take around one and half minute.

Let's see the same approach for this question.

Prephrase the passage -

65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. On the basis of these results replace this with a word therefore, Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire.

my passage becomes -

65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire.

let's put all options in the passage

A. 65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. The group’s membership has not declined by more than 5 percent since 1987. Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire. -- Out of Scope

B. 65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. The same number of surveys will be distributed as were distributed in 1987. Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire. -- Author is least bother about number of surveys.

C. 65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. People who are concerned about ocean dumping are even more concerned about air pollution. Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire. - This may work hold on

D. 65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. The response rate of one questionnaire can be predicted from that of another. Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire. - Good option Hold on

E. 65-percent response rate to ocean dumping. The total amount of pollution today is the same as it was in 1987. Therefore, group expects 65-70% for air pollution questionnaire. -- we are least bother about this option

Now we have two options in Hand C and D. C is extreme it uses word 'more'. If you are stuck between extreme and mild option go with mild one....90% this option will be right

Therefore, IMO D
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Obviously, it is between C and D.
I went ahead with C, because at least as many people are expected to respond to another issue that resonates with them.

Although D is good well. It doesn't do enough justice to greater than 65% part.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 06:39
I also narrowed down between C & D and finally picked D. Pls let us know the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 22:53
I'm not too sure about how to eliminate C.I'm confused between C & D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 00:52
This post received
KUDOS
I think C is correct answer. The group is expecting greater than 65% response rate now.

If D alone is sufficient, then regardless of airpollution ..noise pollution..any pollution, the group should have expected 65% percent.

Am i right?
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 335

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 03:54

By asking few simple questions we can eliminate C.

Is it necessary that only people who are concerned about ocean dumping/air pollution. should respond to the survey.(people may just fill in some junk and give back the questionnaire 10% may really take it serious rest may just fill in junk)

One Final Try.......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 10:29
i will go with D

Success is my Destiny

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 00:56
This post received
KUDOS
wow...I answered this question long back :)
Applying the CR bible technique of logical negation, I would pick the answer D though. It seems right because even if people are not so concerned about air pollution, they might respond to the survey (burden of membership I suppose :) )

But if D is negated, you cannot put forth the argument at all.
OA??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
I picked C but after going through all the discussions....it sure is D.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 122 [1] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
IEsailor wrote:

A good way to see the correct answer in assumption questions is negating each answer and see if the reasoning collapses.
a) The group's membership has declined by more than 5 percent since 1987. We are concerned about response rate, not absolute values.
b) The same number of surveys will not be distributed as were distributed in 1987. Same as a), we are concerned about the response rate, not the number of surveys.
c) People who are concerned about ocean dumping are not concerned about air pollution. Anyways they can answer the survey.
d) The response rate of one questionnaire can't be predicted from that of another. Then they should come out with a different expectation. The reasoning becomes faulty here.
e) The total amount of pollution today is not the same as it was in 1987. Again, doesn't affect the response rate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 112

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 05:57
D for me for sure ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 21:28
+1 for D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 20

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 04:54
+1 for D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 23:01
WOTS THE OA C OR D ????
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 23:07
Count me for D +1

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 23:14
+ 1 for D

Consider awarding Kudos if my post helps ;) !!

Re: CR - Ocean Dumping   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2010, 23:14