Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 10:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthristis and high blood pressure, in that order.

The incidence rates for both arthristis and high blood pressure increase with age, bu the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.

The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical consitions in the United States from the information given above?

a) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthristis or high blood pressure in 2000.

b) Arthristis will be the most common chronic medical condition in 2000.

c) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.

d) Fewer people will duffer from sinustis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.

e) A majority of population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.

Pls share us your answer and explanation. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Chronic medical condition [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 10:46
IMO A

a) Sinusitis will be more common than either arthristis or high blood pressure in 2000.
(if the current trend continues more people will develop arthirstis and High BP as they grow old, and new people born will have sinusitis and people in all age group will also develop sinusitis so this has to be true)

(there is no reason for this)

c) The average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase between 1987 and 2000.
(logically it depends upon the birth rate and new occurences also)

d) Fewer people will duffer from sinustis in 2000 than suffered from it in 1987.
(there is no reason for this, new people born will have sinusitis)

e) A majority of population will suffer from at least one of the medical conditions mentioned above by the year 2000.
(this conclusio is also uncalled for)

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 11:53
A is going too far and out of the scope.

C is the only correct answer. Because who ever has Sinusitis will grow old with Sinusitis as the population gets older. Because people of all age will become older between 87-2000

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Chronic medical condition [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 12:07
Going with C

A, B, E - are extreme answers...

D - may not be true.

jinino wrote:
In 1987 sinusitis was the most common chronic medical condition in the United States, followed by arthristis and high blood pressure, in that order.

The incidence rates for both arthristis and high blood pressure increase with age, bu the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages.

The average age of the United States population will increase between 1987 and 2000.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly drawn about chronic medical consitions in the United States from the information given above?

Pls share us your answer and explanation. Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 12:22
agree with C

a-if anything arthritis and/or bp will occur more frequently vs sinusitis
b-could be bp and not arthritis
d-may or may not be true
e-not necessarily true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 16:36
I thought A was right the minute I read it but now I think C is most supported by the passage so I'll go with C.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 10:18
The OA is C.

Here is the official explanation:

Given that the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages, and that the average age of population will increase, it follows that the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase. Therefore, C is the best answer.

Although it follow that sinusitis will become less common relative to arthritis and high blood pressure, nothing can be concluded about the exact ranking of the three diseases, so choice A and B are ruled out. Just because sinusitis will become relatively less common, one cannot conclude that it will become absolutely less common (choice D). Lacking information about levels of incidence of the diseases, one cannot conclude what porportion of the population has at least one of them. (choice E)

Can someone explain the bold line for me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 10:27
jinino wrote:
The OA is C.

Here is the official explanation:

Given that the incidence rate for sinusitis is the same for people of all ages, and that the average age of population will increase, it follows that the average age of people suffering from sinusitis will increase. Therefore, C is the best answer.

Although it follow that sinusitis will become less common relative to arthritis and high blood pressure, nothing can be concluded about the exact ranking of the three diseases, so choice A and B are ruled out. Just because sinusitis will become relatively less common, one cannot conclude that it will become absolutely less common (choice D). Lacking information about levels of incidence of the diseases, one cannot conclude what porportion of the population has at least one of them. (choice E)

Can someone explain the bold line for me?

Dont agree with OA, what about new people born, if the birth rate increases, and as the question says any age group have possibility of sinus occurence, depending on how many newlyborn have sinus the average age of people with sinus might go down.

If C is the OA, the author did not think it thru very well...

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 10:37
:roll: I don't know. I have a tough time understanding the bold line above. This question is from Official Guide 10th Edition Critical Reasoning #174.

Any input is appreicated!!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 11:24
Dont understand your reasoning Ranga. C It looks obvious to me. If the average age of people increases, then the average age of people with Sinusitis will increase right? Average age census will take into account new births, deaths etc.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 11:40
C is most obvious answer
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 12:31
ranga, because the incidence rate of sinuitis doesn't occur more for any age group, it is not possible for more babies than adults to be born with the condition. Therefor, if the average age of the population increases, so to will the average age of those with sinuitis. At least that is how I see it.

Chet

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 12:33
IMO C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 12:52
chet719 wrote:
ranga, because the incidence rate of sinuitis doesn't occur more for any age group, it is not possible for more babies than adults to be born with the condition. Therefor, if the average age of the population increases, so to will the average age of those with sinuitis. At least that is how I see it.

The birth rate of babies can affect the final average....what if birthrate goes insanely high between 87 - 00, in that case more babies will have sinus (by proportion) and that might bring the average age of people with sinus down.....

People who do not understand my reasoning, please read it again....I know why C is obviously correct...but thinking futher it is not the correct answer...IMO

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 17:41
ranga41 wrote:
The birth rate of babies can affect the final average....what if birthrate goes insanely high between 87 - 00, in that case more babies will have sinus (by proportion) and that might bring the average age of people with sinus down.....

People who do not understand my reasoning, please read it again....I know why C is obviously correct...but thinking futher it is not the correct answer...IMO

Ranga, I can understand your point, but if there is indeed a baby boom during that period, then the average age of the population will also come down. So, naturally, the average age of people with sinus will also come down.
Since the average age of population will increase, we can infer with a degree of confidence that there will be no baby boom between 1987 and 2000.
Answer is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 03:13
anandsebastin wrote:
ranga41 wrote:

Ranga, I can understand your point, but if there is indeed a baby boom during that period, then the average age of the population will also come down. So, naturally, the average age of people with sinus will also come down.
Since the average age of population will increase, we can infer with a degree of confidence that there will be no baby boom between 1987 and 2000.
Answer is C.

Good one man, I am conviinced now....

[#permalink] 16 Sep 2005, 03:13