Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 22:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:53) correct 34% (01:31) wrong based on 55 sessions
In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one participating country to be sold in any of the others.
A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one
B. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one
C. existed among Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
D. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
E. existed between Canada or several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in that
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 08 Oct 2012, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 12

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one participating country to be sold in any of the others.
A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one
B. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one
C. existed among Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
D. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
E. existed between Canada or several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in that

Past perfect not required here. Eliminate B and D. Between X and Y is the correct idiom => A wins.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 23:19
getgyan wrote:

Between A and B
Among A and others

hence C, as agreement is among canada and more than one european countries
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 38

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 02:30
A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one - this is redundant
B. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one - this is redundant
C. existed among Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one - among is incorrect to use here
D. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one - correct
E. existed between Canada or several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in that - this is redundant

my logic here is agreement can happen between any 2 countries only at a time so we need a between here not among. Eliminate C

Correct choice is D.

OA please?

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Current Student

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 02:47
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

I did not understand. Can you please elaborate your though process here?
+1 A
OE
B – Use of past perfect tense had is not required
C – which incorrectly refers to Europe instead of cars
D - Use of past perfect tense had is not required. Which incorrectly refers to Europe instead of cars
E – that at the end of the sentence does not make any sense

:-D

Manager
Manager

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:05
getgyan wrote:
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

+1 A
OE
D - Use of past perfect tense had is not required. Which incorrectly refers to Europe instead of cars

I agree "had" is an incorrect usage in this context...but how about agreement being repeated.
it sounds very awkward, doesnt it?

Last edited by yashii9 on 08 Oct 2012, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:12
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

+1 A
OE

I agree "had" is an incorrect usage in this context...but how about agreement being repeated.
it sound very awkward, doesnt it?

True. Maybe the use of a generic simile such as "contracts" would have made the sentence a better framed one but the use of "arguments" is in no way wrong. But among the choices given A is the best option because
B. Unnecessary use of past perfect
C. "which" refers to Europe and hence makes the sentence convey the meaning that "Europe" allowed any car.
D. Mistakes in B and D combined
E. Between-Or is incorrect idiomatic usage.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 111

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:16
getgyan wrote:
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

+1 A
OE

Not meaning to sound like a know it all but I think "which" should actually be referring to "agreements". Ofcourse I could also be wrong.

Current Student

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:16
yashii9 wrote:

:-D Good point Yashii. Let us solve this together. As per your opinion "agreement" is redundant. Lets us omit it.

A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, that allowed any car authorized in one.

Now tell me, is this what you think have been a better answer? If yes then how do you justify the use of comma? Your thoughts?

Manager
Manager

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:25
getgyan wrote:
yashii9 wrote:

:-D Good point Yashii. Let us solve this together. As per your opinion "agreement" is redundant. Lets us omit it.

A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, that allowed any car authorized in one.

Now tell me, is this what you think have been a better answer? If yes then how do you justify the use of comma? Your thoughts?

:)

use of which in D is incorrect. I felt D is still better than A.

and seriously use of Had does not trouble me much in this one because we dont have 2 clauses with different time frames, or anything that links this agreement to present.

A is not just redundant, i also feel that the argument sounds awkward.

I picked D over A and overlooked use of "which" over awkward construction of A. :(

What do you think

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 565 [1] , given: 111

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
yashii9 wrote:

use of which in D is incorrect. I felt D still better than A.

and seriously use of Had does not trouble me in this one because we dont have 2 clauses with different time frames, or anything that links this agreement to present.

its not just redundant i also feel that the argument A sounds awkward.

I picked D between A, D and overlooked use of which over awkward construction of A. :(

What do you think

A steadfast rule is that "which" modifies the exact word preceding it. Hence, in this sentence "which" refers to Europe and is wrong. So even if option A might sound awkward, option D is wrong. Hence between awkward and wrong, awkward would be a better option.

To take it more into perspective, Sentence D is contructed in a manner similar to

Lets say a black dog is chasing a cat. A similar construction to choice D would be something like

The dog chased the cat, which was black in color. This clearly distorts the meaning.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 264

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
yashii9 wrote:

use of which in D is incorrect. I felt D is still better than A.

and seriously use of Had does not trouble me much in this one because we dont have 2 clauses with different time frames, or anything that links this agreement to present.

A is not just redundant, i also feel that the argument sounds awkward.

I picked D over A and overlooked use of "which" over awkward construction of A. :(

What do you think

First of all in Option D,
Use of which is incorrect (I hope we both agree, one gramaticcal reason is enough to eliminate the sentence)
Secondly, why do we need a past perfect here? Past perfect is used when there are two time frames. Is not it? As you, yourself stated that there are no two time frames, Use of Past perfect is wrong.

Coming to redundancy, a comma should not precede "that". Agreements was intentionally inserted to make that sentence correct by taking the comma away from "that"

Makes sense?

Manager
Manager

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:52
Quote:
A steadfast rule is that "which" modifies the exact word preceding it. Hence, in this sentence "which" refers to Europe and is wrong. So even if option A might sound awkward, option D is wrong. Hence between awkward and wrong, awkward would be a better option.

To take it more into perspective, Sentence D is contructed in a manner similar to

Lets say a black dog is chasing a cat. A similar construction to choice D would be something like

The dog chased the cat, which was black in color. This clearly distorts the meaning.

when I re-visited this questions everything seems plausible
but when we r solving a question in exam....we go from A...to E and
if i have already eliminated A its so hard to not get this one wrong. :(

Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2012, 03:52