Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:12) correct 43% (01:27) wrong based on 214 sessions
in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbookof elementary physics.

A laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

D laws, an aobservation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Can someone please help me with understanding this part of the sentence:
hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 20:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It simply means that in order to prove the vulnerability of patenting system, somebody hoodwinked the public by taking a patent on one of the oldest laws of physics; even a school-going child knows this rule, but nobody including the patenting department cared to verify

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 05:30
daagh wrote:
It simply means that in order to prove the vulnerability of patenting system, somebody hoodwinked the public by taking a patent on one of the oldest laws of physics; even a school-going child knows this rule, but nobody including the patenting department cared to verify

Hi Sir,
Can you please help me to clear my concept.

laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included >>> This is the modifier

I think that this is a run on as obervation made and now included requires a verb?Isn't it?
I might be asking a silly one but pls clarify with any supportive examples.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 56

Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 05:48
sanjeebpanda wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi Sir,
Can you please help me to clear my concept.

laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included >>> This is the modifier

I think that this is a run on as obervation made and now included requires a verb?Isn't it?
I might be asking a silly one but pls clarify with any supportive examples.

Let's analyze the below sentence. Ignore the parenthetical elements (the non-essential information between two commas), modifiers and prepositional phrases.

in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

Basically, the sentence means that Richard Stallman had managed to win a patent for Kirchhoff's laws. (Richard Stallman is the subject and had managed is the verb)

Now, the last underlined part is the extra piece of information on Kirchhoff's laws.
If we analyze the underlined portion -
an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics

-which perfectly describes Kirchhoff's laws. (This being an non-essential clause will not contain a 'helping verb')

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Sloan '17

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 07:35
wininblue wrote:
in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbookof elementary physics.

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

From the SC Grail,

The structure for such questions is:

One of the + Noun(will always be plural) + Singular Verb(usually 'is')

It is only when the plural noun is followed by 'that/who' that the singular verb changes into plural.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 08:56
Expert's post
@sanjeebpanda

The confusion basically arises because the word 'clause' has been misunderstood. A clause is essentially a complete theme with a subject and a working verb, or often a verbal phrase that contains modifiers and objects. Thus A clause is different from a phrase, which does not have a verb;

Second, a modifier can either be a clause or even a phrase; the clause itself may be a subordinate clause or a compound clause. Its major job is to give additional info or describe somewhat more what it modifies.
The text under question is just a combination of two phrases joined by conjunction ‘and’. The coordinate conjunction can join both two nouns or two phrases or two clauses. Here, --an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics -- are both modifier phrases without verbs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 109

CAT Tests
Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 06:51
wininblue wrote:

Daagh,

If you consider option A, shouldnt it actually be:

... a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, that is an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and ow included in virtually every textbookof elementary physics.

in absence of "that is", the phrase "an observation about..." modifies the entire phrase "a colleague of his had managed..." when it should ideally modify only "Kirchoff's laws".

I feel none of the options are perfect. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 209

Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 12:23
wininblue wrote:

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is (GMAT Classic error : which blahh blahh and it blahh blahh - pronoun error)

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and (Namely is an adverbial conjunction but it can not join to ICs)

D laws, an aobservation about electric current first made in 1845, it is ( IC, it is blah blah : two ICs separated by comma)

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is ( Laws are plural thus technical subject of "is" is Richard Stallman included in textbook - non sense)

in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

to test the system, - is just a modifier, and we are lucky that it is not underlined.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: in 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2014, 12:23