Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 06:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:00) correct 45% (02:32) wrong based on 221 sessions
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 40
Page: 41
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Modifier Question from OG [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
helpmeongmat wrote:
In 1995, Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearing that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

I got this from the OG (D40 on page 96). Please provide reasons why others should be ruled out. Thanks!

C - 'namely', it was ... - awkward construction
D - ,it is .. creating 'run-on' sentense
E - that restricts the laws and wrongly used here

A, B - left

B - wordy
A - best
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
OA is 'A'.

Just to add to the discussions:
IMO

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
--> Pronoun reference problem. 'It' can refer to electric current/laws/observation
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and --> nonsense
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is --> Similar to (b). Pronoun reference issue.
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is --> Modifier Problem. Sounds like current was made in 1865

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1552 [1] , given: 248

Re: OG-12 Diagnostic - Tough SC - Q40 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
B states that laws which was an observation; laws is plural and was is singular . Secondly, the pronoun it has no antecedent. Does it refer to the observation or one of the laws or the patent or what? Therefore B is ruled out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Richard Stallman [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 08:03
It is A.
E has wrong verb "was" for subject "that", which refers to laws.
B also has same problem as E has.
C/D are run-on.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 05:35
yup I got A as well.
onlyA useses the modifiers correctly.

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 11:01
OA is A.

Parallel structure (first made.. and now included ) is respected.

It can not be E, because that appears to refer to laws rather than one, but the verb is singular. is violates parallelism
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2007, 09:54
narrowed to A&D
A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

'it is' - unnecessary

hence, A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 10:34
down to A and E. it must be A.

C- ---- "it was" redundant.
B/D---- "IT" doesn't have clear referent.
E----wordy---"That was"-unnecessary
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC from OG: [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 11:39
goalsnr wrote:
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbookof elementary physics.

A laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

D laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Please explain.

Yes A it is..

B and D are out coz of pronoun reference error 'it is'
C and E are wordy.
A is consice, clear and to the mark..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC from OG: [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 13:25
goalsnr wrote:
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbookof elementary physics.

B laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

C laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

D laws, an aobservation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

E laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Please explain.

E for me.

Only A and E are close to be the right answer but E wins 'cause '

1st: < '........first made in 1845, and is now included in virtually.....' >in E is definitely better than

<'........first made in 1845, and now included in virtually.....' in A
>
2nd: 'that was an observation' gives more clarity to the sentence.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2007, 16:44
Quote:
E for me.

Only A and E are close to be the right answer but E wins 'cause '

I would eliminate E because it says "Kirchiff's law [...] 'was' an observation about electric current"

It still is a law...
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 06:45
B/w A and E. I will go with A.

Removing the middle man:
In 1995 Richard Stallman testified in Patent Office hearings that a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

The restrictive WHICH is not matched with LAWS. in addition, was an observation indicates that this observation was in past and no longer exists. I think it is still a law :-D . No referrent for IT in the end. Incorrect.

(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
Similar to B. namely, it was an is wordy. Incorrect.

No referrent for IT. Incorrect.

(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is
Similar to B. No clear sunject for IS - The patent or one of the LAWS (Plural). Incorrect.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: SC:In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 06:30
I would pick (A).

usage of 'was' in B, C and E is incorrect.
'it' has no reference in D and the option is very awkward

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 10:28
ykaiim wrote:

Removing the middle man:
In 1995 Richard Stallman testified in Patent Office hearings that a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

The restrictive WHICH is not matched with LAWS. in addition, was an observation indicates that this observation was in past and no longer exists. I think it is still a law :-D . No referrent for IT in the end. Incorrect.

Similar to B. No clear sunject for IS - The patent or one of the LAWS (Plural). Incorrect.

My take on 'D' a patent needs verb 'is' . 'it' refers to patent which is included in every text book. option 'E' incorrectly uses that.
Wats OA??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 10:29
ykaiim wrote:

Removing the middle man:

My take on 'D' a patent needs verb 'is' . 'it' refers to patent which is included in every text book. option 'E' incorrectly uses that.
Wats OA??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: OG-12 Diagnostic - Tough SC - Q40 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 16:40

namely didnot seem to connect with one of the kirchoff's laws so ruled this one out
D laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
it is now included doesn't seem to reference one of the laws. Ruled this one as the remaining sentence mean that the law is included in text books
1845 seem to change reference to what it is pointing

Between A and B I selected B. But wrong. Can someone explain why which and 'it is' are wrong

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: OG-12 Diagnostic - Tough SC - Q40 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 04:29
I guess which was is correct as we are not talking of laws but we are talking of one of the laws. I kinda agree with it having no antecedent

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 07:15
i pick B here. could you please tell me as "now" refers to present time, is it legitimate to use past tense when "now" is here......

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 10:11
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

can someone help me understand how "Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics " is not like a sentence fragment.
I thought something like
"Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and IS NOW included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics "

---- would make more sense cause now we are adding a verb ... what am i missing here . can some1 shed some light here,
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2012, 10:11