Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1998 more citizens from the country of Monrovia migrated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
In 1998 more citizens from the country of Monrovia migrated [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 15:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In 1998 more citizens from the country of Monrovia migrated from Monrovia to neighboring Abstania than during any prior year. In 1998 the number of reported violent crimes in Abstania increased dramatically over 1997. The unavoidable conclusion is that Monrovians who migrated from Monrovia to Abstania were responsible for this increase.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the claim that Monrovians were responsible for the increase in violent crime in Abstania during 1998?

(A) Each year more violent criminals are apprehended in
Abstania than in Monrovia.
(B) During 1998 more violent crimes were reported in
(C) In 1998 no Monrovians migrated from either Monrovia
or Abstania to any country other than Monrovia or
Abstania.
(D) In 1998 the number of unreported violent crimes in
Abstania increased as well.
(E) In 1998 fewer Monrovians migrated from Monrovia to
Abstania than from Abstania to Monrovia.

E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 15:20
Is it E?
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 15:48
I couldn't chose among any choices. :?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 21:48
reply2spg wrote:
In 1998 more citizens from the country of Monrovia migrated from Monrovia to neighboring Abstania than during any prior year. In 1998 the number of reported violent crimes in Abstania increased dramatically over 1997. The unavoidable conclusion is that Monrovians who migrated from Monrovia to Abstania were responsible for this increase.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the claim that Monrovians were responsible for the increase in violent crime in Abstania during 1998?

Abstania than in Monrovia. - this seems to be the best. If more criminals are apprehended in Abstania, the crime rate is already high there.
Abstania than in Monrovia. - this could be attributed to migration of people.
Abstania. - does not affect the argument either way.
Abstania increased as well. this could be attributed to migration of people.
Abstania than from Abstania to Monrovia. This could indirectly mean more concentration of Monorovians in Abstania and hence the violence can be attributed to migration.

E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 21:53
I see your point but in all honesty I cannot convince myself to accept of the choices as the credited response. Poorly written question so we'll just move on.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 19:47
Though, I am not convinced with the OA, OA is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 21:55
reply2spg wrote:

Abstania.
Abstania increased as well.
Abstania than from Abstania to Monrovia

E

i think E can't be the OA the correct OA should be A
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 22:03
I compleely agree with botirvoy . None of the choice is gud enough 2 make a strong point.

@scthakur, The point here is not abt wht z the criminal rate in that country. But the reason for drastic increase in criminl rate in 1998. Lets say 1000 crimes were committed normally every year( which may be high). But in 1998, 2000 crimes occured. so the increase was very high. We need an option which can justify this high increase in crime rate in 1998
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monrovia [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 23:03
ritula wrote:
I compleely agree with botirvoy . None of the choice is gud enough 2 make a strong point.

@scthakur, The point here is not abt wht z the criminal rate in that country. But the reason for drastic increase in criminl rate in 1998. Lets say 1000 crimes were committed normally every year( which may be high). But in 1998, 2000 crimes occured. so the increase was very high. We need an option which can justify this high increase in crime rate in 1998

Thanks. I think, I analyzed in a hurry.

On a second look, E seems the best for the following reason.

Suppose, 200 people migrate to Monrovia and 100 to Abstania, and all these people are criminals, then migration from Monorovia to Abstania cannot be the reason for a sharp increase in violence in Abstania. However, if the migrants from Abstania to Monrovia were not criminals, but, those from Monoriva to Abstania were, then this option supports the conclusion.

However, since this is the only option that in part weakens conclusion, this is the best option.
Re: CR: Monrovia   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2009, 23:03