Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1200 [113]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [42]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [4]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchang [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
"still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private ---" Exchange are" - is a typo. Note that all the other choices say" exchanges are" -. Only D has missed the letter "s"- by the fate of the finger. Not an issue, I feel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchang [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
"still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private ---" Exchange are" - is a typo. Note that all the other choices say" exchanges are" -. Only D has missed the letter "s"- by the fate of the finger. Not an issue, I feel.

179. In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.
A. who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added
B. who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added.
C. who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a warchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add.
D. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private , a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add
E. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a wathchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add.

Mr. daagh, can the present participle in a/b/c also be used for splits.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
NightFury

Of course, -enabling - is a present participle. However -for enabling- is not a present participle. It becomes a gerund as it is preceded by a preposition "for". For enabling means for the enablement of. However- a trick enabling- is a present participle, the verb+ing form is modifying the noun before-trick-.
But I do not think they make any worthwhile splits in the context; This problem is about what kind of verb tense one has to use for expressing a general finding. A, B, C become irrelevant because of this tense slip-up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
imaru wrote:
In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.

(A) who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added

(B) who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added

(C) who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add

(D) still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add

(E) still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/05/business/a-new-trick-gives-snoops-easy-access-to-e-mail.html

For those still harboring the illusion that e-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group has uncovered a new trick that enables someone to essentially bug an e-mail message so that the spy would be privy to any comments that a recipient might add as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.

Why C is incorrect? kindly help on the regard.

Correct explanation givers will get kudos.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rashed12 wrote:
Why C is incorrect?

Yeah, tricky. C actually slightly messes up the sequence. It says:

this person is privy (present tense) to any comments that a recipient would add (future tense)

How can a person by privy in present what a recipient would add in future?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Rashed12 wrote:
Why C is incorrect?

this person is privy (present tense) to any comments that a recipient would add (future tense)

Even if recipients would add comments hypothetically in the future - whats wrong in using the present tense ?

I am privy to all your future misdeeds = i thought this sentence was okay

Do we really have to say :
I will be privy to all your future misdeeds = i thought this sentence was not okay
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
Rashed12 wrote:
Why C is incorrect?

Even if recipients would add comments hypothetically in the future - whats wrong in using the present tense ?

I am privy to all your future misdeeds = i thought this sentence was okay

Do we really have to say :
I will be privy to all your future misdeeds = i thought this sentence was not okay

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Both of these sentences are logically and grammatically correct but convey different meanings. "I am privy to all your future misdeeds." conveys that "I" is already privy to the future misdeeds and will continue to be so. "I will be privy to all your future misdeeds." carries the connotation that "I" is not currently privy but will be at some point in the future.

In this question, "will be" is the correct tense usage because the sentence refers to an action that will take place after another - "rig an E-mail message". Thus, logically, this action should be conveyed in the future tense.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Both of these sentences are logically and grammatically correct but convey different meanings. "I am privy to all your future misdeeds." conveys that "I" is already privy to the future misdeeds and will continue to be so. "I will be privy to all your future misdeeds." carries the connotation that "I" is not currently privy but will be at some point in the future.

In this question, "will be" is the correct tense usage because the sentence refers to an action that will take place after another - "rig an E-mail message". Thus, logically, this action should be conveyed in the future tense.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

hmm ExpertsGlobal5 - so the reason for the future tense is to clarify sequencing ?

If i create some analgous statements :

(i) this cheat code allows me to rig the compter game SO THAT I win
vs
(ii) this cheat code allows me to rig the computer game SO THAT I will win

Could you perhaps explain
a) is the simple tense wrong in (i) ?
b) if not wrong -- how is the meaning different from (ii) ?
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

hmm ExpertsGlobal5 - so the reason for the future tense is to clarify sequencing ?

vs

Hello jabhatta2,

To answer your questions, the use of the simple present tense is not incorrect in (i). The use of the simple present tense conveys that the cheat code allows "me" to rig the computer in a way that guarantees that "I" always win; remember, the habitual actions and information that is permanent in nature are best conveyed through the simple present tense.

The use of the simple future tense implies that the cheat code allows "me" to rig the computer in a way that guarantees that "I" will win on a particular instance or instances.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

vs

Hello jabhatta2,

To answer your questions, the use of the simple present tense is not incorrect in (i). The use of the simple present tense conveys that the cheat code allows "me" to rig the computer in a way that guarantees that "I" always win; remember, the habitual actions and information that is permanent in nature are best conveyed through the simple present tense.

The use of the simple future tense implies that the cheat code allows "me" to rig the computer in a way that guarantees that "I" will win on a particular instance or instances.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thank you ExpertsGlobal5. So if i understand
- In (i) -- the moment i use the cheat code to rig the game (let say Dec 10 th 2021 at 8 am) -- from that point point ONWARDS into the future - i will ALWAYS / FOREVER keep winning every time I play (Dec 10th 8 am onwards all the way into the future) - i will win every single time

vs

- In (ii) -- the moment i use the cheat code to rig the game (let say Dec 10 th 2021 at 8 am) -- I dont win EVERY MATCH since Dec 10 th 2021 at 8 am
I will a specific math IN THE FUTURE specifically - I will win a a specific match in 2024 for example.
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

vs

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thank you ExpertsGlobal5. So if i understand
- In (i) -- the moment i use the cheat code to rig the game (let say Dec 10 th 2021 at 8 am) -- from that point point ONWARDS into the future - i will ALWAYS / FOREVER keep winning every time I play (Dec 10th 8 am onwards all the way into the future) - i will win every single time

vs

- In (ii) -- the moment i use the cheat code to rig the game (let say Dec 10 th 2021 at 8 am) -- I dont win EVERY MATCH since Dec 10 th 2021 at 8 am
I will a specific math IN THE FUTURE specifically - I will win a a specific match in 2024 for example.

Hello jabhatta2,

In response to this query, we are glad to inform you that your understanding of this concept is accurate.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

While this SC is wordy, the correct answer is based on standard verb and pronoun rules.

1) Pronouns - The opening of the sentence states that "In a blow to THOSE…."; here, the word "those" is a pronoun. In the answers, we see that some have an extra pronoun and some don't. Since we already have a pronoun, we do NOT need another pronoun immediately next to it. That extra pronoun is redundant (and unnecessary). Eliminate A, B and C.

Hello dear expert,
I am a little bit confused here to use two pronounce back to back
can I take it as a Hand-on rule to never use such construction(extra pronoun) in GMAT-SC and treat it as a red herring ?

in everyday spoken English, it seems Ok to use a construction such as - those who are not invited. (although I know GMAT is least concern for what sounds Ok or not)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sigmabeta wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

While this SC is wordy, the correct answer is based on standard verb and pronoun rules.

1) Pronouns - The opening of the sentence states that "In a blow to THOSE…."; here, the word "those" is a pronoun. In the answers, we see that some have an extra pronoun and some don't. Since we already have a pronoun, we do NOT need another pronoun immediately next to it. That extra pronoun is redundant (and unnecessary). Eliminate A, B and C.

Hello dear expert,
I am a little bit confused here to use two pronounce back to back
can I take it as a Hand-on rule to never use such construction(extra pronoun) in GMAT-SC and treat it as a red herring ?

in everyday spoken English, it seems Ok to use a construction such as - those who are not invited. (although I know GMAT is least concern for what sounds Ok or not)

Hi Sigmabeta,

As a general rule, it is bad 'style' to be redundant with your written language on the GMAT - and while this type of style rule is a rare issue on the Official Exam, it might come up in a question or two on Test Day (especially if you are performing at a higher level in the Verbal section). Redundancy can appear in a number of different ways (in this prompt, it's a redundant pronoun, but you might see a redundant phrase - as an example: 'tied together' - that would be considered incorrect style). By extension, you should also be mindful about how you write your AWA response - since both the human grader and the e-grader know how to spot redundancies - and in the broader sense, too many 'style errors' (of various types) could cost you half a point on your Essay).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Hi Experts,

In Option A, is the past perfect tense "had added" incorrect because the main clause is in simple past tense.

Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchang [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
Hi Experts,

In Option A, is the past perfect tense "had added" incorrect because the main clause is in simple past tense.

Thanks

Your assertion that the past perfect can't be used here is accurate.
Just to make sure, though—The past perfect is wrong because this verb describes a hypothetical event that can only happen LATER than the main timeframe. The past perfect points to timeframes EARLIER than the main narration; that's the wrong sequence of events.

(If your reasoning is just "sentence in simple past —> past perfect is wrong", then, no, that's not valid reasoning. In fact, simple past sentences are the ONLY proper context for the past perfect! The issue is the order of events: the past perfect describes EARLIER actions whose completion directly affects something narrated in the main sentence.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
The correct answer is (D): The sentence is discussing a recent development in which a watchdog group has uncovered a trick that enables someone to read comments added to an email as it is forwarded or sent back and forth. The tense of the verb "harbored" should be in the past participle form, as it refers to a completed action.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep egmat GMATNinja can you explain this question options wise. I had a really hard time solving this question. Thank you in advance
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts