Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 09:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:05) correct 50% (01:40) wrong based on 56 sessions
In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.

A: who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added

B: who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added

C: who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add

D: still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add

E: still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 03 Dec 2013, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Correct the question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 10:26
I pick up D . This Q is quite good and I am looking fwd to see comments!

imaru wrote:
In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.

A: who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added

B: who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added

C: who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add

D: still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enable an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add

E: still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 11:19
D or may be A but then A uses 'still harbored...'.

So, D.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 12:52
One confusing part about D: shouldn’t “trick that enableâ€
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 13:16
[quote="jpauksta"]One confusing part about D: shouldn’t “trick that enableâ€
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 18:47
I think there is a typo as well. That's why i post it up so we can discuss. I saw this question on another site and think this is a great q!\

btw, the OA is D
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 09:37
I marked C bacause the doc I have has some type error. Moreover, in D, ENABLE should be ENABLE.

Any thoughts?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 19:11
I would go with D, though I feel that enable should be enables.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 23:54
Correct version

(A) who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added
(B) who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added
(C) who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add
(D) still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add
(E) still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add

Now it is D

C is just too wordy.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 03:46
I like D the best, but I'm thrown by the verb tense...the original sentence implies that people have stopped being convinced that email was private. D implies they haven't stopped.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 06:22
the key word is "still"-> has to be -ing, therefore is between D and E. Better D.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 07:54
I pick D as well.. out of the 7 questions i did in gmatclub today this is the first one that i have rightly chosen.... so thanks for posting this question :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep SC - Email [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 04:09
noboru wrote:
the key word is "still"-> has to be -ing, therefore is between D and E. Better D.

i was checking this question today...and i dont know why i said that one month ago...

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 11:33
I am still confused with question for all the verb tenses that are flying around. Can someone walkthrough their thought process for tacking this question under 60 seconds? I find it hard to keep my head straight and pondering on all the different tense combinations on whether each one is right or not. thank you.

And I just realized we have the winner of the manhattan gmat books here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 20:13
:wall the typo had me all over the place.
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 20:13