In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 07 Dec 2016, 14:44
GMAT Club Tests

Chicago-Booth

is Calling R1 Admits |  Join Chat Room2 for Live Updates


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1926
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 985 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2008, 19:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:15) correct 38% (01:36) wrong based on 226 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

179. In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.
A. who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added
B. who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added.
C. who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a warchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add.
D. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private , a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add
E. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a wathchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 158
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2008, 17:34
sondenso wrote:
179. In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.
A. who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added
B. who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added.
C. who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a warchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add.
D. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private , a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add
E. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a wathchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add.


D for me.

A and B use "a trick for enabling". A better option is a "a trick that enables".
C uses "who still were" . I think a better choice would have been "who were still.."
In E "had been" past participle changes the meaning. "are" is needed.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1926
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 985 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2008, 17:39
Thanks, OA is D
Bsd, year, that is typing error! :lol:
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2989
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 210

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2008, 21:06
LOL sondenso not only do I have to figure out the SC gmat trick, I also have to figure out the sondenso trick ... :P
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1926
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 985 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2008, 21:25
bsd_lover wrote:
LOL sondenso not only do I have to figure out the SC gmat trick, I also have to figure out the sondenso trick ... :P


:shh :shh :shh
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10439
Followers: 886

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 09:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 38
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 02:33
Hi,

Why is D correct? Although 'still harboring' is the best of all, I ruled it out as it violates subject verb agreement.


D. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private , a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add

The subject E-mail exchange is singular whereas the verb used is plural.
Just cannot find out what i am missing.

Regards,
Amulya
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2016
Posts: 15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 08:58
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
amulya619 wrote:
Hi,

Why is D correct? Although 'still harboring' is the best of all, I ruled it out as it violates subject verb agreement.


D. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private , a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add

The subject E-mail exchange is singular whereas the verb used is plural.
Just cannot find out what i am missing.

Regards,
Amulya


Hi Amulya,
Still harboring the illusion that - This suggests a hypothetical situation and we always use plural in such instances.
For example, if I WERE you, I would have attended school. We do not say IF I WAS you, I would have attended school.

Thanks,
Jat
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3623
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 686

Kudos [?]: 5367 [0], given: 321

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 09:42
Top Contributor
"still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private ---" Exchange are" - is a typo. Note that all the other choices say" exchanges are" -. Only D has missed the letter "s"- by the fate of the finger. Not an issue, I feel.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: In the realms of Chaos & Night
Joined: 13 Sep 2015
Posts: 141
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 84

CAT Tests
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 10:26
daagh wrote:
"still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private ---" Exchange are" - is a typo. Note that all the other choices say" exchanges are" -. Only D has missed the letter "s"- by the fate of the finger. Not an issue, I feel.


179. In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.
A. who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added
B. who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added.
C. who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a warchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add.
D. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private , a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add
E. still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a wathchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig and E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add.

Mr. daagh, can the present participle in a/b/c also be used for splits.
_________________

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "


"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3623
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 686

Kudos [?]: 5367 [0], given: 321

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 17:41
Top Contributor
NightFury

Of course, -enabling - is a present participle. However -for enabling- is not a present participle. It becomes a gerund as it is preceded by a preposition "for". For enabling means for the enablement of. However- a trick enabling- is a present participle, the verb+ing form is modifying the noun before-trick-.
But I do not think they make any worthwhile splits in the context; This problem is about what kind of verb tense one has to use for expressing a general finding. A, B, C become irrelevant because of this tense slip-up.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 38
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 10:49
daagh wrote:
"still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchange are private ---" Exchange are" - is a typo. Note that all the other choices say" exchanges are" -. Only D has missed the letter "s"- by the fate of the finger. Not an issue, I feel.



Thanks daagh,

Its quite clear now!!! Thanks for your help. :-D

Regards,
Amulya
Re: In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2016, 10:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a shock to those who still lived under the impression PTK 19 12 Jun 2011, 01:40
Source: Knewton In a shock to those who still lived under PTK 5 03 Oct 2010, 09:48
The animosity between those who regulate and those who are priyankur_saha@ml.com 10 06 May 2009, 19:19
1 Those who come to church with a predisposition to religious Parbe 10 12 Sep 2007, 19:50
Those who come to church with a predisposition to religious pi10t 4 02 Sep 2007, 20:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.