Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 312 [52]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [20]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31903 [6]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 312 [0]
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: Probability Question [#permalink]
rajman41 wrote:
In a certain baord game, a stack of 48 cards, 8 of which represent shares of stock, are shuffled and then placed face down. If the first 2 cards selected do not represent shares of stock, what is the probability that the third card selected will represent a share of stock?

a)1/8
b)1/6
c)1/5
d)3/23
e)4/23
Can we directly substract 2 cards out of 48 and reach the probablity of getting 8/46?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
My answer is E.
We can substract 2 from 48 and find the probability for the third card.

What exactly is your doubt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Another thing to think about: What happens if you don't know what the first two cards are i.e. what is the probability of picking a share card on the third pick (you don't know what the first two picks are).

Hello Karishma - I guess we can list them out?

Pick Share : Pick share : pick share =6/46
Pick share : No pick Share : pick share = 7/46
No pick Share : pick : pick = 7/46
No : No : pick = 8/46

add them all to get the overall probability?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Jp27 wrote:
Another thing to think about: What happens if you don't know what the first two cards are i.e. what is the probability of picking a share card on the third pick (you don't know what the first two picks are).

Hello Karishma - I guess we can list them out?

Pick Share : Pick share : pick share =6/46
Pick share : No pick Share : pick share = 7/46
No pick Share : pick : pick = 7/46
No : No : pick = 8/46

add them all to get the overall probability?

You can list it out though you don't need to. The probability will stay 8/48. It doesn't matter whether it is the first pick, the second or the third or a later pick. I have discussed this here: a-bag-contains-3-white-balls-3-black-balls-2-red-balls-100023.html?hilit=probability%20same

When you list it out, you will obviously get the same answer.

Share, Share, Share = (8/48) * (7/47) * (6/46)
Share, No Share, Share = (8/48) * (40/47) * (7/46)
No Share, Share, Share = (40/48) * (8/47) * (7/46)
No Share, No Share, Share = (40/48) * (39/47) * (8/46)
When you add all these up, you get 8/48.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: In a certain baord game, a stack of 48 cards, 8 of which [#permalink]
Will we not change 8 to 6??

because if we have taken out those 2 cards..then ramining will be 6
6/46?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [4]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sanjoo wrote:
Will we not change 8 to 6??

because if we have taken out those 2 cards..then ramining will be 6
6/46?

Read the question carefully. These 2 cards dont represent the stocks. Hence the 8 cards that represented stocks are still there, i.e. those 8 cards are still intact. But total number of cards has reduced from 48 to 46. Hence, probability can be found easily.
Hope that helps
-s
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rajman41 wrote:
Can we directly substract 2 cards out of 48 and reach the probablity of getting 8/46?

Yes you can. You already know that the first 2 cards are not stock cards. It's like we placed them face up. They anyway are out of the picture. Now we have 46 cards and 8 of them are stock cards. So the probability that the card we pick is a stock card is 8/46 = 4/23.

The probability of picking a stock card keeps increasing as we keep pulling out the non stock cards.
Think: You have 5 cards and 1 of them is the Queen. What is the probability that you will pull out a queen? It's 1/5. What happens after you pull out a non queen? The probability of pulling out a queen now becomes 1/4. It keeps increasing till you reach the last card. If you still haven't pulled out a queen, the last one must be the queen and the probability becomes 1.

i have a big trouble ..i think it should be done in this way. we select 2 from the 40 , in the first beginning. then select 1 from the 8 , in total we have 3 from 48.
so what I got was C1 8C2 40/C3 48
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [3]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rajman41 wrote:
In a certain baord game, a stack of 48 cards, 8 of which represent shares of stock, are shuffled and then placed face down. If the first 2 cards selected do not represent shares of stock, what is the probability that the third card selected will represent a share of stock?

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 3/23
E. 4/23

40/48 * 39/47
so next is = 8/46 = 4/23
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Asifpirlo wrote:
rajman41 wrote:

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 3/23
E. 4/23

40/48 * 39/47
so next is = 8/46 = 4/23

well done! I got it, meanwhile, I found my problem. what I did do not follow the first 2 cards and the third. what i did means just select cards randomly , two are PPPPPP, one is PPPPP...
thank you very much
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31903 [1]
Send PM
Re: In a certain board game [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amithyarli wrote:
In a certain board game, a stack of 48 cards, 8 of which represent shares of stack, are shuffled and placed face down. If the first 2 cards selected do not represent the shares of stock, what is the probability that the third card selected will represent a share of stock ?

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 3/23
E. 4/23

Hi,
there are 48 cards , out of which 8 are shares of stack..
the first two are not share of stack..
so the remaining cards now are 48-2=46, again out of which there are 8 shares of stock..
the prob that next is one of these 8 is 8/46=4/23
E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
rajman41 wrote:

Yes you can. You already know that the first 2 cards are not stock cards. It's like we placed them face up. They anyway are out of the picture. Now we have 46 cards and 8 of them are stock cards. So the probability that the card we pick is a stock card is 8/46 = 4/23.

So when do you use combinatorics? I thought the solution would work out as:

Probability of third card being a stock card = 40/48* 39/47*8/46

When to use combinatorics???
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31903 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sarathvr wrote:
rajman41 wrote:

So when do you use combinatorics? I thought the solution would work out as:

Probability of third card being a stock card = 40/48* 39/47*8/46

When to use combinatorics???

Hi,
the first two not being a stock card is no more a probability but a fact..
there is some action carried out and you have to work further to it..
out of 48 cards, you have already picked up two cards.. so the present case is that you are left with 46 cards and the prob will depend on these cards now..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.66
Send PM

Hi Karishma, can you please give the answer to the above query?

I have 2 other questions.

First question: I solved this question using conditional probability. Is my solution correct?
Probability (at least 2 non-share cards) = Probability (2 non-share AND 1 share cards) + Probability (3 non-share cards)
\(= \frac{40*39*8}{48*47*46} + \frac{40*39*38}{48*47*46}\)
\(=\frac{40*39*46}{48*47*46}\)
Desired probability = Probability(2 non-share AND 1 share cards)/Probability(at least 2 non-share cards)
\(=\frac{40*39*8}{40*47*46}\)
\(=\frac{8}{46}=\frac{4}{23}\)

Second question: I cannot tell the difference between the problem under discussion and this problem: A box contains 3 yellow balls and 5 black balls. One by one, every ball is selected at random without replacement. What is the probability that the fourth ball selected is black?

In the latter problem, Bunuel and other experts confirmed that the probability of getting a certain ball (black ball) will not change for any successive drawing. This means the probability of getting a black ball remains 5/8 no matter what.

I thought the same line of thinking would apply here. On the third drawing, the probability of getting a share remains 8/48. I know it is dead wrong, but I cannot understand the difference between the two questions. Could you please clarify?

Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
the first two not being a stock card is no more a probability but a fact..
there is some action carried out and you have to work further to it..
out of 48 cards, you have already picked up two cards.. so the present case is that you are left with 46 cards and the prob will depend on these cards now..

Hi Chetan2u,

A silly question: How can we differentiate between a fact and a probability?

I am very confused maybe because I am not familiar with the wording. I thought the first two cards constitute a probability. Could you please give some wording examples for both 'a fact' and 'a probability' types of question? Could you please help me understand the difference between the two?

Always appreciate your help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In a certain baord game, a stack of 48 cards, 8 of which [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
you have given a Q above wherein there are 3 blacks and 5 white, and we are to find the probability that 4th is black..
here you are not aware what has happened in the first three DRAWS, so picking of all 8 will remain PROBABILITY..

Hi,
Thank you! I think I understand this one.

Quote:
But what happens when you have picked two cards and you are told they do not contain the card we are lookin for..
you had 48 cards out of which 8 are say TYPE X, and you have to find the probability that third is TYPE X..

Our probability will continue to be out of all 48..

I am a bit confused here. If I am told that the two cards do not contain the card I'm looking for, then how come the probability continues from 48? Doen't it start from the remaining 46 cards?

Quote:
If you are told first two are not type X...
so now you have ONLY 46 cards left, Because in the TWO picked, there is no probability involved since we know what those cards are..
Probability is ONLY there where we do not know the out come..

Doesn't this contradict with your above statement? You said we start from 48 after the first two cards. But here you point out that we calculate on the remaining 46 cards. Is it a typo or something? Please clarify.

Thank you very much!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31903 [2]
Send PM
In a certain baord game, a stack of 48 cards, 8 of which [#permalink]
Kudos