Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:03

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2005
Posts: 65
Location: USofA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 09:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who purchase newspaper X to the number of people who purchase newspaper Y is 7:1. What percent of the population purchases newspaper Y?

1- Twenty-seven percent of the population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.

2- Seventy percent of the people who purchase newspaper Y also purchase newspaper X.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1498
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Interesting & diffcult maybe [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 10:56
C.

1. is not sufficient to get the total popn.
2. is also not suff.

from 1 and 2,

x/y = 7
x=7y

nither = 0.27
either (x+y) = 0.73
both = 0.07y

so total = x+y-xy+nither
1 = 7y + y - (0.07y) + 0.23
7.3 y = 0.73
y = 1/10
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 761
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Interesting & diffcult maybe [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 13:07
Zagros wrote:
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who purchase newspaper X to the number of people who purchase newspaper Y is 7:1. What percent of the population purchases newspaper Y?

1- Twenty-seven percent of the population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.

2- Seventy percent of the people who purchase newspaper Y also purchase newspaper X.


The answer can only be C

U = a + b + neither -ab

From 1, we can find a+b and none in terms of U, but we don't know ab. insuff.
From 2, we can fine ab but we can't find the rest.

Combining both of the above, we have a solution
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 286
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Interesting & diffcult maybe [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2006, 13:24
Zagros wrote:
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who purchase newspaper X to the number of people who purchase newspaper Y is 7:1. What percent of the population purchases newspaper Y?

1- Twenty-seven percent of the population purchases neither newspaper X nor newspaper Y.

2- Seventy percent of the people who purchase newspaper Y also purchase newspaper X.


1. intersection is not known Insuff
2. Total is not known - Insuff. (note 7:1 is only for readers - rest watch Jon stewart show -how many ----donno 7:1 is not readers and non readers)

Total and intersection known - C
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Interesting & diffcult maybe [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 01:30
MA wrote:
C.

1. is not sufficient to get the total popn.
2. is also not suff.

from 1 and 2,

x/y = 7
x=7y

nither = 0.27
either (x+y) = 0.73
both = 0.07y

so total = x+y-xy+nither
1 = 7y + y - (0.07y) + 0.23
7.3 y = 0.73
y = 1/10


One question ------- The question asks what percent of population purchases newspaper X? Not what percent of population purchase only newspaper X?

The y in the bold part is the part which purchase only newspaper Y not representative of the population that buys Y also X. Technically this part also buys Y right?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: Interesting & diffcult maybe [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 02:00
jaynayak wrote:
MA wrote:
C.

1. is not sufficient to get the total popn.
2. is also not suff.

from 1 and 2,

x/y = 7
x=7y

nither = 0.27
either (x+y) = 0.73
both = 0.07y

so total = x+y-xy+nither
1 = 7y + y - (0.07y) + 0.23
7.3 y = 0.73
y = 1/10


One question ------- The question asks what percent of population purchases newspaper X? Not what percent of population purchase only newspaper X?

The y in the bold part is the part which purchase only newspaper Y not representative of the population that buys Y also X. Technically this part also buys Y right?


HERE AS Y is found... we can find any other value.. since we expressed the whole population with Ys;
_________________

Be Supportive and Helpful! And Everything Will Bounce Back to You!

Re: DS: Interesting & diffcult maybe   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2006, 02:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
In a certain city, the ratio of number of people who amitdgr 13 25 Oct 2008, 08:19
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who HVD1975 6 09 Sep 2008, 08:53
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who GK_Gmat 6 04 Jan 2008, 03:24
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who Hermione 5 30 Oct 2006, 05:07
In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who anandsebastin 5 17 Oct 2006, 07:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a certain city, the ratio of the number of people who

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.