Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a certain marching band formation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 31

In a certain marching band formation [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 02:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:18) correct 55% (01:32) wrong based on 51 sessions
In a certain marching band formation, each row of band members has the same number of members, and the number of rows is 1 less than the number of members in a row. How many band members are there in each row?

(1) There is a total of 90 band members.
(2) If each of the members of the last row were assigned to a different row, the row with the least number of members would have 10 members.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Re: In a certain marching band formation [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 11:05
It is basically a formation that has 1 row less than the number of members ---> number of rows + 1 = number of members in a row

1) There are 90 members overall - x * (x + 1) = 90 - simply plug in numbers 9 and 10 and voila it is sufficient since there are no alternate solutions. We now know the exact number of rows and members in a row. Alternatively, you could simply use the formula x^2 + x - 90 = 0 and find the solution there. Sufficient

2) A little tricky wording because it almost seems that there could be only one row with the least number of members (in this case 10). But depending on the number of members there could be more rows with 10 members while other rows have more than 10 (i.e. 11). Not sufficient

Answer A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 160

Re: In a certain marching band formation [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 20:56
Baracuda123 wrote:
It is basically a formation that has 1 row less than the number of members ---> number of rows + 1 = number of members in a row

1) There are 90 members overall - x * (x + 1) = 90 - simply plug in numbers 9 and 10 and voila it is sufficient since there are no alternate solutions. We now know the exact number of rows and members in a row. Alternatively, you could simply use the formula x^2 + x - 90 = 0 and find the solution there. Sufficient

2) A little tricky wording because it almost seems that there could be only one row with the least number of members (in this case 10). But depending on the number of members there could be more rows with 10 members while other rows have more than 10 (i.e. 11). Not sufficient

Answer A

To me it seems something is wrong with statement 2 , if all rows are supposed to have the same number of members how can there be a least row and most row? Something seems odd about statement 2

- Stne

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a certain marching band formation [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 01:28
I thought the answer was D. Because i took the last row members and distributed den equally to each row. Which makes the no. of rows (n-2) and row with the least no. will now have (n+1) and two rows will have (n+2)
But they never said they were equally divided. Alas :(

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Re: In a certain marching band formation   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2013, 01:28