Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 30

In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:53) correct 51% (01:54) wrong based on 154 sessions
In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed diseases are schistosomiasis and malaria. Over the past five years, malaria has accounted for more than half of all disease cases, and schistosomiasis, which accounted for 40% of all disease cases in the community five years ago, accounted for 30% in the past year.

Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above?

A. There were fewer cases of schistosomiasis last year than five years ago.

B. The percentage of disease cases from malaria has increased over the past 5 years.

C. Some disease has experienced an increase in the number of its total cases, as long as the total number of disease cases went down by a number less than 30%.

D. Each year over the past five, malaria has accounted for a larger percentage of disease cases than schistosomiasis.

E. If the total number of schistosomiasis cases increased over the past five years, then the total number of disease cases must have increased by more than 30%.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 67

Re: In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:01
This post received
KUDOS
I think this one is harder than 600-700. Aren't you?

thelosthippie wrote:
In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed diseases are schistosomiasis and malaria. Over the past five years, malaria has accounted for more than half of all disease cases, and schistosomiasis, which accounted for 40% of all disease cases in the community five years ago, accounted for 30% in the past year.

Schistosomiasis, malaria: main diseases.
Quote:
Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above?

A. There were fewer cases of schistosomiasis last year than five years ago.

Percentages are not equivalent to absolute number. Misleading.

Quote:
B. The percentage of disease cases from malaria has increased over the past 5 years.

Not really. The percentage given for malaria is the arithmetic average for the last 5 years. I.e. the percentages for each year could be manipulated greatly without changing the mean.

Quote:
C. Some disease has experienced an increase in the number of its total cases, as long as the total number of disease cases went down by a number less than 30%.

Can be true, but doesn't have to. This 30% is really confusing here, but it's a red herring. Don't let it possess your mind.

Quote:
D. Each year over the past five, malaria has accounted for a larger percentage of disease cases than schistosomiasis.

False for the same reason as B.

Quote:
E. If the total number of schistosomiasis cases increased over the past five years, then the total number of disease cases must have increased by more than 30%.

Percentage value decreased. If the total number increased concurrently, then the total number of diseases had to increase even more. Count the given 30% if you have time on the GMAT, it's not necessary after all. Correct.

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 9

Re: In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
hey thelosthippie...you are posting really good questions..+1 to you

but if you could hold back OA for some time and allow people to discuss w/o knowing OA then it would be more helpful..:)

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 04:22
E is correct..

A. There were fewer cases of schistosomiasis last year than five years ago...% and no. (quantity) should not be compared..wrong

B. The percentage of disease cases from malaria has increased over the past 5 years....cant say..we only know that the avg. of past five years....wrong

C. Some disease has experienced an increase in the number of its total cases, as long as the total number of disease cases went down by a number less than 30%. ...well..close one..but it says SOME DISEASE..but we want to know relation with all other disease cases..wrong..

D. Each year over the past five, malaria has accounted for a larger percentage of disease cases than schistosomiasis.,.cant say...same as B

E. If the total number of schistosomiasis cases increased over the past five years, then the total number of disease cases must have increased by more than 30%....correct...if all other cases have increase then they have to increase by more than 30% because schistosomiasis cases have reduced form 40% to 30%..

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

VP
VP
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 02:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In a certain population, the two most heavily diagnosed   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2014, 02:55