Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 17:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 42

In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 10:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:33) correct 45% (01:31) wrong based on 37 sessions
In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the students in the class are male?

(1) There are 840 students in the senior class.
(2) 75 percent of the students in the senior class have applied to college.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: in-a-certain-senior-class-72-percent-of-the-male-students-128279.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
You can figure it out by (2) alone because you can just take the two stats to arrive at the correct fraction*, regardless of knowing the total class amount. You would need (1) if it had asked "how many male students were in the class?"

*P(Male and Applied) / P(Applied) = P(Male)

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Manager
Manager

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 10:51
Nice, thanks I cant believe I missed this one.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 10:57
No problem, happens to the best of us :)

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 242 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
marcusaurelius wrote:
In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the students in the class are male?

oa is B

I chose c.

Yes I agree. You can figure out the answer using only 2)

What we need to find out ? --> fraction of male students

What we already know ? --> 72 percent male and 80 percent females have applied

2) 75 percent of class applied for college. Ok now look at the percent of males and females applied i.ie 72 and 80

the difference = 80 - 72 = 8

Now the final percentage = 75

This means that in this percentage there were more males in the class to shift the percentage towards them. Think of this: what if the percentage of males and females were same then the final percentage would have been 76.

Anyways back to our example

Thus the shift is 5/8 in favor of males to pull the percentage 3/8 towards males. Thus males percentage = 5/8 = 62.5%

Note: See if you learn this method you might not have to do the lengthy algebraic calculations. This can be done in 20 seconds with practice.
Manager
Manager

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 11:04
Great, thank you. When I was reading through the problem I think I assumed they were asking for the number of males rather than the percentage.
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 191 [2] , given: 6

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
marcusaurelius wrote:
Great, thank you. When I was reading through the problem I think I assumed they were asking for the number of males rather than the percentage.

I think you must have! Sorry if this repeats what others have said, but here's a solution that illustrates that pitfall, with a little additional commentary on Weighted Averages.

With just the info from the question stem, the overlapping sets chart looks like this. The question is “What is m/Total?” (or, “What is m/(m+f)?”)

------Have-----Haven’t----Total
M----0.72m-----0.28m-----m
F-----0.8f--------0.2f-------f
Total------------------------m+f

(1) Tells us that m+f = 840, but nothing about how the 840 splits between m and f.

(2) If 75% of students have applied to college, let’s put that expression in the chart:
---------Have--------Haven’t-------Total
M-------0.72m--------0.28m--------m
F--------0.8f-----------0.2f----------f
Total--0.75(m+f)---0.25(m+f)----m+f

We can pull two new equations out of the vertical Have and Haven’t columns:
0.72m + 0.8f = 0.75(m+f)
0.28m + 0.2f = 0.25(m+f)

Multiply everything by 100 to avoid dealing with decimals.
72m + 80f = 75(m+f)
28m + 20f = 25(m+f)

Move all m’s and f’s to one side:
-3m + 5f = 0
3m + -5f = 0

When we add the equations we get 0=0. Yikes! This is why you would conclude that (2) is insufficient!

All the math we’ve done so far is right, but there are two things we have overlooked:
a. We haven’t made full use of the fact that m and f are tightly related to one another, because there’s not a third gender (in this problem): m = total –f and f = total –m.
b. We were trying to solve for m and f. But our question is really about m/total. For combo problems (where you are solving for not one variable, but an expression with 2 or more), the “trick” is to solve for the combo as directly as you can.

So let’s back up to this:
---------Have--------Haven’t-------Total
M-------0.72m--------0.28m--------m
F--------0.8f-----------0.2f----------f
Total--0.75(m+f)---0.25(m+f)----m+f

Pull out that vertical sum from the “Have” column, and rewrite the f’s in terms of m.
0.72m +0.8f = 0.75(Total students)
0.72m + 0.8(Total students – m) = 0.75(Total students)
72m + 80(Total students) – 80m = 75(Total students)
5(Total students) = 8m
5/8 = m/Total students

5/8 of the students are male.

As others have noted, there is a “weighted average” insight we could have exploited. The “weighted average” formula here is:
(Fraction of the class that is male)*(male application rate) + (Fraction of the class that is female)*(female application rate = overall application rate.

Here’s another post I wrote on the subject:
weighted-average-problems-93260.html#p717555

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 13:32
Wow, awesome! thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Gmat prep test question [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
This ways is very conventional and fast. Put X like the total of all student in the class.SO the total of students aplly for college is 0.75 X. M is the total male student( inclduing not apply and aplly). thus the total girl wil be X- M, so the Male students apply is 0.72 M. the Female stduents that appliied will be 0.8(X-M)
----> 0.75X = 0.72 M +0.8(X-M)
----->solve this, it's going to be 0.05 X=0.08 M
------> M/X= 0.05/0.08 which means 5/8

Everything could be written to equation to be :P solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 15:59
marcusaurelius wrote:

oa is B

I chose c.

Hi all, this problem shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.
We need to learn the concept of differentials and weighted average.

The weighted average is nothing but the average points weighted on each element. Therefore if we have the two data points in this case the percentage of males and percentage of females and there are given the total percentage we can find the ratio of the males/females easily.

Note that we only need the percentage or average. We don't really need to know the concrete values
Therefore, Statements like 1 will always be insufficient for this type of problems

Good luck in your prep!
J :)
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3187

Kudos [?]: 21200 [0], given: 2537

Re: In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 16:04
Expert's post
In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the students in the senior class is male?

Question: \frac{m}{m+f}=? (so we are asked about #3)

(1) There are 840 students in the senior class --> m+f=840. Useless info. Not sufficient.

(2) 75 percent of the students in the senior class have applied to college. We know 2 from the stem and 1 from this statement, sufficient to get 3. Just to illustrate: 0.72m+0.8f=0.75(m+f) --> 3m=5f --> \frac{m}{f}=\frac{5}{3} --> \frac{m}{m+f}=\frac{5}{8}. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: in-a-certain-senior-class-72-percent-of-the-male-students-128279.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: In a certain senior class, 72 percent of the male students   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2013, 16:04