Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [24]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: In a certain store, item X sells for 10 percent less than item Y. What [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In a certain store, item X sells for 10 percent less than item Y. What is the ratio of the store’s revenue from the sales of item X to that from the sales of item Y?

(1) The store sells 20 percent more units of item Y than of item X.
(2) The store’s revenue from the sales of item X is $6,000 and from the sales of item Y is $8,000.

Kudos for a correct solution.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Question Type: What Is the Value? This question asks for the ratio of revenue from sales of x to revenues from sales of y. So “revenue x: revenue y = ?”

Given information in the question stem or diagram: Item x sells for 10% less than item y.

Statement 2 is very clear on this problem so you should begin there.

Statement 2: The store’s revenue from sales of X = $6,000 and the revenue from sales of y = $8,000. This statement is clearly sufficient. The ratio is simply 6,000:8,000 or 3:4. The answer is either B or D. Note: This is a very good example of the construct “When one statement is very easy, the other will be hard and counterintuitive.” Everyone knows this is sufficient so there will be something tricky about Statement 1. Slow down and make sure you are not over- or underleveraging the given information in Statement 1.

Statement 1: The store sells 20% more of item y than item x. This statement, when combined with the given information, is sufficient. 20% more of item y is sold at 10% higher prices. Revenue = (Unit Price)(Number of Units). Conceptual understanding will allow you to stop at this point and realize that although you do not have the actual number of units or the actual price per unit, you can calculate the ratio of revenue from x to that of revenue from y. This is sufficient and the answer is D. Note: Most people under-leverage this information because it does not give any hard number values. Using your hint from the other statement to dig deeper here, you should eventually realize that the percentage data is sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Send PM
Re: In a certain store, item X sells for 10 percent less than item Y. What [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
This statement, when combined with the given information, is sufficient. 20% more of item y is sold at 10% higher prices. Revenue = (Unit Price)(Number of Units). Conceptual understanding will allow you to stop at this point

I wasn't able to see the connect within 2 minutes. I think for people with weaker quant skills, picking numbers is the easiest way to solve this problem.

Given:
Revenue = Price * Number sold
Xprice = 0.9*Yprice
We are looking for (Xrevenue/Yrevenue)
Choose some numbers: If Yprice = 10, then Xprice = 9

Statement 1:
Ysales = 1.2*Xsales
Choose some numbers: If Xsales = 10, then Ysales = 12
Xrevenue = 9*10 = 90
Yrevenue = 10*12 = 120
(Xrevenue/Yrevenue) = 90/120 = 3/4
Sufficient

Statement 2:
(Xrevenue/Yrevenue) = 6000/8000 = 3/4
Sufficient

Both are sufficient, so the answer is D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Let Price of Item Y =y
Then price of item X = 9/10 *y = 0.9 y

And revenue = Sale price * no of items.

A) Let no of items of X = x
Then no of items of Y = 1.2x

So, Ratio of revenue = 0.9y*x/y*1.2x
= 9/12 = 3/4 Sufficient

B) Ratio of Revenue = 6000$/8000$
= 3/4 Sufficient

Hence Correct answer should be D.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
So admittedly, I got this wrong. But, I knew there was something ominous about St1.
I had the initial setup like this:

[(9/10)y x (x)] : [y x (6/5)x]

Which is actually the correct answer. But whenever ratios are written like so instead of division, it just becomes harder to see what to make of it.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts