Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a certain university course, some of the students took

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [4] , given: 105

In a certain university course, some of the students took [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:20) correct 38% (01:36) wrong based on 181 sessions
In a certain university course, some of the students took their own handwritten notes on the lectures, while others studied from a printed set of notes written by the course instructor; no student used both kinds of notes. The students who took their own notes performed substantially better on the course exams than did those who used the notes written by the instructor. Clearly, the students' own notes must have been more complete or easier to understand than the instructor's, or else the students who took their own notes were simply those who were more motivated to do well in the course.

Which of the following statements, if true, most weakens the argument in the passage above?

A) In other classes at the same university, students who both wrote their own notes and used the pre-printed instructor notes were among the highest- performing students on class exams.
B) The exams were not written by the course instructor.
C) Studies have shown that the physical act of note-taking aids in the recall of what is noted, even for those who never review the notes.
D) The instructor's notes were written in language that was so florid and wordy as to make the points difficult for students to comprehend.
E) Students in the course were not allowed to refer to any notes, whether their own or the instructor's, while taking the course exams.

+1 if u like the Q :)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 85

Re: In a certain university course, some of the students took [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 05:19
The conclusion is : The group using handwritten stuff is performing better than the group using printed stuff BECAUSE the handwritten stuff was complete and easy to understand OR ppl among this group were more motivated than those on the second one.

So, in my opinion C strengthens the argument pointing that studies have shown that the physical act of note-taking aids in the recall of what is noted, even for those who never review the notes and therefore easy to understand.. ??!!!!!

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 105

Re: In a certain university course, some of the students took [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 06:21
I chose 'D' for the same reason, Experts could you plz throw some insight on this Q :shock:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 198 [3] , given: 142

Re: In a certain university course, some of the students took [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
thinktank wrote:
In a certain university course, some of the students took their own handwritten notes on the lectures, while others studied from a printed set of notes written by the course instructor; no student used both kinds of notes. The students who took their own notes performed substantially better on the course exams than did those who used the notes written by the instructor. Clearly, the students' own notes must have been more complete or easier to understand than the instructor's, or else the students who took their own notes were simply those who were more motivated to do well in the course.

Which of the following statements, if true, most weakens the argument in the passage above?

A) In other classes at the same university, students who both wrote their own notes and used the pre-printed instructor notes were among the highest- performing students on class exams.
C) Studies have shown that the physical act of note-taking aids in the recall of what is noted, even for those who never review the notes.
D) The instructor's notes were written in language that was so florid and wordy as to make the points difficult for students to comprehend.
E) Students in the course were not allowed to refer to any notes, whether their own or the instructor's, while taking the course exams.

+1 if u like the Q :)

Prem 1: In a particular course, student group A took notes themselves and student group B took notes from the instructor.
Prem 2: Group A students scored more than Group B
Conclusion 1:The Group A's notes were better than Instructor's notes
OR
Conclusion 2:Group A students were more motivated than Group B students

Weakens:
Out of scope: our case is for students who either use own notes or use instructors not. Not both.
Out of scope: we are not bothered who wrote exams
Correct: This gives alternative explanation. Group A students were neither motivated, nor had better notes. The act of note-taking helped.
Strengthens Conclusion Part 1.
Out of scope. We are talking of why scores are high for group A. It doesn't matter if reference was allowed or not.

--
Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a certain university course, some of the students took [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 04:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In a certain university course, some of the students took   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 04:20