Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a certain wildlife park

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

In a certain wildlife park [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 00:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:19) correct 51% (01:29) wrong based on 141 sessions
In a certain wildlife park, park rangers are able to track the movements of many rhinoceroses because those animals wear radio collars. When, as often happens, a collar slips off, it is put back on. Putting a collar on a rhinoceros involves immobilizing the animal by shooting it with a tranquilizer dart. Female rhinoceroses that have been frequently recollared have significant lower fetility rate than uncollared females. Probably, therefore, some subtances in the tranquilizer inhibit fertility.

Inevaluating the argument, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?
a. Whether there are more collared female rhinoceroses than uncollared female rhinoceroses in the park.
b. How the tranquilizer that is used for immobilizing rhinoceroses differs, if at all, from tranquilizers used in working with other large mammals.
c. How often park rangers need to use trangquilizer dart to immobilize rhinoceroses for reasons other than attaching radio collars.
d. Whether male rhinoceroses in the wild park lose their collar any more often than the park's female rhinoceroses do
e. Whether radio collar is the only pratical means that park rangers have for tracking the movements of rhinoceroses in the park.

Hello.

I have no doubt about the correct choice because it exploits the flaw in the argument.
But I still have a doubt about choice A.
The author makes a comparison between the fertility rates between 2 groups to support his conclusion. If there are 1000 recollared rhinos and 10 uncollared rhinos, and the fertility rates are 50% and 80% respectively, so we have 500 fertile recollared rhinos and 8 fertile uncollared rhinos.

if the difference between numbers of the two groups are too large-- i.e. 1000 and 10 -- and if we accept the author's assumption that the only purpose to shoot rhinos with T darts is to put collar, does the comparison between the fertile rates support the conclusion?

I must ask the question because before I see the correct answer I did not know the flaw of the argument, and the choice A seems good to me. So, if I know the answer for the question, I can eliminate choice A.

Thank you.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In a certain wildlife park [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 02:34
Hi!

Premise clearly says "animals wear radio collars" that means "all animals does wear radio collars" so choice (A) is out of consideration for me.

Moreover conclusion of argument talks about the effect of tranquilizer of fertility rates. Choice A only deals in number and have no impact on the conclusion.

Regards
Vikas
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: In a certain wildlife park [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:45
Expert's post
This is a nice question with a good degree of difficulty. The key to these questions (evaluating the argument) is to understand assumptions, which are unstated elements that bridge the gap between premises and conclusions. On this question type, your answer will essentially be a question that asks for clarification about a key assumption. As you mentioned, C does provide a question focused on a key assumption (tranquilizers are only used for recollaring).

Now to your question regarding answer choice A. The reason why A would not be our answer is because the premise of the argument deals with fertility RATES not fertility numbers. The GMAT will often shift between figures and rates in the argument/answer choices to throw you off. The use of rates takes the actual numbers out of the equation (essentially normalizing/standardizing the data). Any answer choices that shift from rates to absolute numbers (or vice versa) will not be correct.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 68

Premium Member
Re: In a certain wildlife park [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 01:44
This Question says that tranquilizer(which is used to put collars on female rhinoceroses ) -> lower fertility rate .

To evaluate this arguments we need to find an assumption that either strenghtens or weakens the conclusion.

Choice C does that by Questioning whether tranquilizer is used only for the purpose of putting collars or Is that(tranquilizer) also used to for other purposes ?

If the first part is true, it strengthens the conclusion that Putting collars -> low fertility rate.
If the latter part is true, it weakens the conclusion that other cause -> low fertility rate .

Hope this helps :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1921

Re: In a certain wildlife park [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 05:48
I know that this is a Causation Question, but I don't know how any of the answers address the Causation assumptions that tranquilizers cause lower fertility rates.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: In a certain wildlife park [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 12:18
Expert's post
TooLong150 wrote:
I know that this is a Causation Question, but I don't know how any of the answers address the Causation assumptions that tranquilizers cause lower fertility rates.

Well, only one of them will address the assumption. :)

The conclusion states that the tranquilizer inhibits fertility. This conclusion is based on the information that recollared rhinos have to be tranquilized in the process and recollared rhinos have lower fertility rates.

The question wants to you evaluate the argument - or in other words to determine what information you would like to have to assess the validity of the argument. To best evaluate the argument, you want some of the "missing" data related to tranquilizer use, recollaring and fertility. Answer choice C gets at that "missing" data by suggesting that there might be other uses for tranquilizers. If there are other uses, we lose our tight connection between recollaring, tranquilizers and fertility and, as a result, we have less confidence in the conclusion. If there are no other uses, that tight connection remains and our confidence in the conclusion increases.

To use your Causation language, the argument notices correlation between recollaring and fertility and asserts that tranquilizers are the cause of the correlation. Answer choice C suggests that we need to know if there are other uses for tranquilizers before we feel comfortable that they are causing the fertility problems.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: In a certain wildlife park   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2014, 12:18