Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:56) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 10 sessions
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A)resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria
(B)the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C)because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D)as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E)Alexandria's largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 10:18
yup D is right...

all other change the meaning...as if there was a library about ancient world that was destroyed in alexendria...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 11:03
yup D it is.

A. incoreect modifier. suggesting that A.D. 391 resulted from destruction

B. incorrect use of conjunction and

C. because of the result is redundant.

E. incorrect use of conjunction and

hey ya......

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 17:49
nakib77 wrote:
yup D it is.

A. incoreect modifier. suggesting that A.D. 391 resulted from destruction

I hate modifiers ! :oops:

I got A and D but I wanted to pick A :evil:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 04:08
OA is D. What confused me about answer D was it seemed unclear to me whether "the largest of the ancient world" was referring to the largest destruction of the ancient world or the largest library of the ancient world? It would really help me if someone could clear this up for me as I lost some sleep over this problem. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2006, 06:47
avomc wrote:
themagiccarpet wrote:
OA is D. What confused me about answer D was it seemed unclear to me whether "the largest of the ancient world" was referring to the largest destruction of the ancient world or the largest library of the ancient world? It would really help me if someone could clear this up for me as I lost some sleep over this problem. Thanks!

Any COMMENTS?

The answer is D.

The largest of the ancient world refers to the library. The subject in the sentence before the comma was "library". That is what the "largest of the ancient world"referred to.

The greater the sacrifice, the greater the Victory

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Alexandria [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 13:04
D.

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A)resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria -> the subject of resulting is not later generations in the question. (B)the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and -: unproper

(C)because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, -> redundancy

(D)as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,

(E)Alexandria's largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was -> awkward. also D is preferred to E.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2006, 06:12
As a result of X, Y happened~ is idiomatic

(D)
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 11:31
so is it Alexandria that is the largest of the ancient world? or its library?

totally confused and lost some sleep over this one too.

I picked E and although I see why it is incorrect now, I still don't get why D is correct. it seems that it has 2 modifies within, so that is why I am confused :?
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 19:08
gmatmba wrote:
Yes, D....took 5 seconds

Wow, that's quick.....
Got D as well, although took a little more time :) .
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Alexandria [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 02:53
In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, later generations lost all (but the Iliad and Odyssey among) Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays Aeschylus and Euripides.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 07-10-2014

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 06:03
The answer is D: as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world.

Explanation:

Initially, I thought the modifier phrase "the largest of the ancient world" can only modify the touched noun, Alexandria. But I was wrong.
Because any modifier that modifies nouns can also modify construction of the from " Noun 1 + preposition + Noun 2.
The answer D follows this pattern. The modifier phrase: the largest of the ancient world can modify both Alexandria or library at Alexandria.

Thanks
Re: In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2013, 06:03