Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:06) correct 75% (01:48) wrong based on 35 sessions
In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move. During a certain chess tournament whites have made 2319 moves altogether while blacks have made 2315 moves. If in any game the side that made the last move did not lose, which of the following can be true about the tournament?

I. Blacks lost 5 games
II. Blacks won more games than whites
III. All games ended in a draw

A. III only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

M14-09
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Jun 2014, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question, added the OA and moved to PS forum.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
marcodonzelli wrote:
incognito1 wrote:
marcodonzelli wrote:
In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move. During a certain chess tournament whites have made 2319 moves altogether while blacks have made 2315 moves. If in any game the side that made the last move did not lose, which of the following can be true about the tournament?

I. Blacks lost 5 games Incorrect. At the most, blacks lost 4 games.
II. Blacks won more games than whites Possible
III. All games ended in a draw Possible. That white made more moves doesn't indicate that those were necessarily wins (could be draws as well)

 III only
 I and II only
 I and III only
 II and III only
 I, II, and III

(D)

OA is D. can you explain in detail?

assume that each game is made up of total 2 moves only.
since whites start, we have each game as WB.
so we have 2311 games which have this combination WB.
this means whites have made 2311 moves and blacks also 2311 moves.
now if whites have made 4 more moves than blacks, this means that in 4 games they have made an extra move.since the game starts with whites, this means that the game has also ended with whites. So, we have have 4 games with combination WBW, giving one extra white move per game.
Thus so far we have 2311 games with combination WB and 4 more games with combination WBW. so we have 2315 black moves and 2319 white moves as given.
Thus we could have blacks with more games won, than whites.
Also, its possible that every game ended in a draw as they say that the side that made the last move did not loose, which also means that the side that made the last move, either won or faced a draw.
good one+1

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 11:15
marcodonzelli wrote:
incognito1 wrote:
marcodonzelli wrote:

I. Blacks lost 5 games Incorrect. At the most, blacks lost 4 games.
II. Blacks won more games than whites Possible
III. All games ended in a draw Possible. That white made more moves doesn't indicate that those were necessarily wins (could be draws as well)

 III only
 I and II only
 I and III only
 II and III only
 I, II, and III

(D)

OA is D. can you explain in detail?

It's all about counting the number of games that end on either side. 4 games end with white being the last player, and 2315 end with black being the last player.

Let [NW] = number of whites moves, [NB] = number of blacks moves

Consider a single game of chess; since whites start, blacks can either win or draw on their turn. In that case:
[NB] = [NW]

Similarly, whites can win or draw on their turn. In that case:
[NW] = [NB] + 1

We're given the sum total of all white and black wins in a tournament. Clearly, whites have only won OR drawn 4 more games (2319 - 2315). Blacks, on the other hand have won OR drawn as many as 2315 games. Using this information, you can now solve the 3 choices.

My GMAT debrief

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
Re: In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 00:34
Bunel,

I need your help in understanding the question.

whites: 2319 Moves
Black: 2315 Moves

what dos this means?

Is it talking about chess's black and white square boxes?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3496

Kudos [?]: 26351 [0], given: 2710

Re: In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 03:18
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
honchos wrote:
Bunel,

I need your help in understanding the question.

whites: 2319 Moves
Black: 2315 Moves

what dos this means?

Is it talking about chess's black and white square boxes?

It talks about the moves players make with black or white figures.

I. Blacks lost 5 games
II. Blacks won more games than whites
III. All games ended in a draw

A. III only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

From the stem it follows that there were only 4 games in which whites had the last move. These 4 games were responsible for the difference in the total number of moves made by whites and blacks during the tournament. We know that these 4 games were not won by blacks (but they could well have ended in a draw). All the other games could have been won by blacks or ended in a draw. Thus, scenarios II and III are possible.

Scenario I is impossible. It means that there were at least 5 games in which whites had the last move. If this were true then the difference between the total number of moves of whites and blacks should be at least 5. In fact, it's only 4.

Answer: D

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: In a game of chess the moves of whites and blacks alternate   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 03:18