Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?
13
10
9
8
7

please show the working.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:40
empty_spaces wrote:
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?
13
10
9
8
7

please show the working.


10

(25+25+34) - "exactly two" - 2*3 = 68
"exactly two" = 10
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:48
empty_spaces wrote:
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?
13
10
9
8
7

please show the working.



68 = 25 +25 +34 - (ab + bc + ac) - 2(3)
ab + bc + ac = 1o
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:49
Bkk/fistail, could you tell me why did you do "2 * 3 "

bkk145 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?
13
10
9
8
7

please show the working.


10

(25+25+34) - "exactly two" - 2*3 = 68
"exactly two" = 10
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 22:55
empty_spaces wrote:
Bkk, could you tell me why did you do "2 * 3 "

bkk145 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?
13
10
9
8
7

please show the working.


10

(25+25+34) - "exactly two" - 2*3 = 68
"exactly two" = 10


Basically, you count "all three" twice because question ask for "exactly two". If the question ask "two and more", then you do not have to multiply 2 since it is already count "all three" once.

The formula usually given for this type of problem use "Two or more" as the principle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 23:01
ok i am confused here,


isnt the formula like :

A U B U C = A + B + C - (A intersection B) - (B intersection C) - (C intersection A) + ( A intersection B intersection C)




bkk145 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
Bkk, could you tell me why did you do "2 * 3 "

bkk145 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at least one of three classes – History, Math and English. Twenty-five students are registered for History, twenty-five students are registered for Math, and thirty-four students are registered for English. If only three students are registered for all three classes, how many students are registered for exactly two classes?
13
10
9
8
7

please show the working.


10

(25+25+34) - "exactly two" - 2*3 = 68
"exactly two" = 10


Basically, you count "all three" twice because question ask for "exactly two". If the question ask "two and more", then you do not have to multiply 2 since it is already count "all three" once.

The formula usually given for this type of problem use "Two or more" as the principle.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 23:19
empty_spaces wrote:
A U B U C = A + B + C - (A intersection B) - (B intersection C) - (C intersection A) + ( A intersection B intersection C)


This is exactly what I mean. Let's use class here, so we have students taking classes A, B, and C.

Take this part as an example: (A intersection B)
This part includes students who take both "A and B" AND "A and B and C"

Same thing for (B intersection C)
This part includes students who take both "B and C" AND "A and B and C"

Which is same thing for (C intersection A)

So, you can see that (X intersection Y) counts students who take both classes as well as all three classes. Therefore, when the question ask for "exactly two", you have to multiply "all three" by 2 because "exactly two" doesn't include "A and B and C". Hope this helps.

Oh , also, I think this is the correct formula:
A U B U C = A + B + C - (A intersection B) - (B intersection C) - (C intersection A) - ( A intersection B intersection C)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS # Set theory [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 23:50
thanks Bkk for your effort although am still confused, maybe my brain isnt really working at 3 in the night. :(


bkk145 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
A U B U C = A + B + C - (A intersection B) - (B intersection C) - (C intersection A) + ( A intersection B intersection C)


This is exactly what I mean. Let's use class here, so we have students taking classes A, B, and C.

Take this part as an example: (A intersection B)
This part includes students who take both "A and B" AND "A and B and C"

Same thing for (B intersection C)
This part includes students who take both "B and C" AND "A and B and C"

Which is same thing for (C intersection A)

So, you can see that (X intersection Y) counts students who take both classes as well as all three classes. Therefore, when the question ask for "exactly two", you have to multiply "all three" by 2 because "exactly two" doesn't include "A and B and C". Hope this helps.

Oh , also, I think this is the correct formula:
A U B U C = A + B + C - (A intersection B) - (B intersection C) - (C intersection A) - ( A intersection B intersection C)
Re: PS # Set theory   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2007, 23:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at tonebeeze 11 18 Dec 2010, 10:55
In a group of 68 students sinharavi 5 05 Dec 2009, 06:14
There are 42 students in a group. If each student is either Economist 0 04 Dec 2013, 00:22
1 There are 42 students in a group. If each student is either tejal777 15 29 Sep 2009, 18:07
A school administrator will assign each student in a group chunjuwu 2 22 Dec 2004, 09:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a group of 68 students, each student is registered for at

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.