Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a group of 8 semifinalists, all but 2 will advance to the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a group of 8 semifinalists, all but 2 will advance to the [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 11:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In a group of 8 semifinalists, all but 2 will advance to the final round. If in the final round only the top 3 wil be awarded medals then how many groups of medal winners are possible?

Let's get it right!!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 16:42
C(8,6) * C(6,3)

Does all but 2 means all of them except 2 ?
It would be then 8-2 = 6....right ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2004, 23:48
The way to read the problem under discussion is that => from 8 it gets to 6 and from 6 it gets to 3. We will take the same flow for easy logic, hence it is 6 out of 8 (which is 8C6) and 3 out of 6 (which is 6C3) => totalling to 8C6*6C3 ways
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 00:44
Thats how I did it too... but the answer's 8C3...which is 56.

The explanation given is that since 3 people are finally chosen from 8 people, we can take it as 8C3 and NOT 8C6*6C3 ( this is what even I did)... :?

Can we have some explanations please?? Why is it 8C3??

Let's get it right!!!!

Manager
Manager

PS- Medal winners [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 04:24
I get 8C3 = 56

I think that if you do 8C6 * 6C3 you are counting many groups more than once:

Let’s say you have A, B ,C , D, E, F, G, H, and A and B do not qualify for the final: we have 6C3 = 20 possibilities (eg, CDE, CDF).
Now we leave out G and H, you get another 20 possibilities.
You can do this 8C6 = 28 times, but many groups get repeated. In our example CDE will be a group that appears when A and B don’t qualify and also appear when G and H don’t qualify or when A and G don’t qualify. That’s why we are counting all groups many times.

It does not matter that only 6 got to the final, we have 8 elements to play with and we have to put them into groups of 3. Going from the semifinal to the final is not adding any restriction (eg A never qualifies). And if there was a restriction the answer could have never be more than 8C3
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS- Medal winners [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 12:05
artabro wrote:
I get 8C3 = 56

I think that if you do 8C6 * 6C3 you are counting many groups more than once:

Let’s say you have A, B ,C , D, E, F, G, H, and A and B do not qualify for the final: we have 6C3 = 20 possibilities (eg, CDE, CDF).
Now we leave out G and H, you get another 20 possibilities.
You can do this 8C6 = 28 times, but many groups get repeated. In our example CDE will be a group that appears when A and B don’t qualify and also appear when G and H don’t qualify or when A and G don’t qualify. That’s why we are counting all groups many times.

It does not matter that only 6 got to the final, we have 8 elements to play with and we have to put them into groups of 3. Going from the semifinal to the final is not adding any restriction (eg A never qualifies). And if there was a restriction the answer could have never be more than 8C3

Artabro,

Thanks a lot for trying to explain this to me.. But I couldnt understand it... :cry: :cry:

Let's get it right!!!!

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 18:15
It makes sense in the hind sight.

here instead of asking how many ways can you pick 3 out of 8, the author is twisting the question by explaining how he would select. Since we don't really know or care about the selection process we can safely say 3 can be picked from 8 in 8C3 ways.

Praveen

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 20:37
praveen_rao7 wrote:
It makes sense in the hind sight.

here instead of asking how many ways can you pick 3 out of 8, the author is twisting the question by explaining how he would select. Since we don't really know or care about the selection process we can safely say 3 can be picked from 8 in 8C3 ways.

Isn't it 6C3 = 20. 2 out of 8 will not make it to the final, and we are looking for the combination of medals in the final round.

What is the OA.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2004, 21:10
Please read Ruhi's post. OA is 8C3

Praveen

[#permalink] 02 Dec 2004, 21:10