Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 33

Re: SC leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 07:22
I agree that answer should be E..

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 13:35
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
c'mon guys..explanations pleease!

investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt with the companys' earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

The inverstors hope to pay off... and to profile richly later is correct parallelism.

investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and by profiting by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.
If you make "earnings" and "profiting" parallel, it will mean that the investors hope to pay off debt by selling the company later. Moreover "by profiting" makes the setence meaning awakward. If inversters hoped to pay off the debt using the profit the correct sentence should have been-

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and by the profit of later resale of the companies or their divisions.

I agree with explanation of why "by profiting" is correct. But are your sure that the final sentence, usage of "by the profiting", correct?

According to MGMAT SC, ONLY complex gerunds and action nouns can be made parallel. Using that rule the ONLY ways "by the profiting" could be used are if somehow "by using", a simple gerund, is turned into a complex gerund OR an action noun: such as "by the using of" (complex gerund - sounds awkward though) or "by the use of" (action noun - better but still feel on the awkward side - "usage" would be even more awkward). Anyways, I think your suggestion is wrong, but please feel free to correct me if I missed a rule or something here!
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 1180 [0], given: 244

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 09:07
Expert's post
The speculators or those heavy borrowers of money for leveraged buy-outs do so in the hope 1) to close the loans with the profits tht the companies earn and 2) then to profit hugely by the sale of those companies. Thus there are two functions of their hoping (to pay off and to profit), which are required to be //. Any choice using profiting is therefore grammatically incorrect. Only A and E cross the mark. In A, ‘the company’s’ is grammatically wrong since it is singular. We need the plural possessive ‘the companies’. E is right.

This is as simple as that IMO The strategy is to simplify the issue to the core rather than complicate.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 03:00
First of all we should see the paralel structure: hoping to pay off... and to profit.

This help us eliminate the B, C an D.

than we should notice that "to buy companies" not "company", so next in the text we should use "companies' " and not "company's "

So E
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: SC leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 08:47
The rule is very clear "In possessives placement of ' is based on the noun is singular or plural" In this case earnings is plural hence companys' should be used. IMO E

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 22:02
what is wrong with choice A as it is also having parallel form
Intern
Intern

Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 18:16
IMO E

Explaination:
A and E shows parallelism so B,C,D are eliminated.
In GMAT active voice is preferred in comparison to passive so E is the best.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 24

Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 11:19
E would be the answer in my opinion
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Re: SC leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 08:21
joemama142000 wrote:
joemama142000 wrote:
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company’s earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their divisions.

(A) by using the company’s earnings and to profit
(B) by using the companies’ earnings and by profiting
(C) using the companies’ earnings and profiting
(D) with the company’s earnings, profiting
(E) with the companies’ earnings and to profit

the OA is E

this is a case of parallelism
hoping to pay.... and to profit
B, C, D are out

by using is wordier than with so E is preffered

I have a doubt:
no one has paid any attention to the word "richly" - it can modify a verb "profiting" but not noun "to pay"
and hoping can be considered parallel to profiting
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 16:17
Even I have doubt with adverb "richly".shouldnt it modify the nearest verb
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 1534 [0], given: 612

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 09:43
Expert's post
stick the sentence as whole, do not stress to much in nuances

Quote:
OA - E

B, C, D - incorrect - violating parallelism - Need to profit to maintain the parallel structure.

A - incorrect - uses company's (singular)

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

Re: In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 09:43