Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 18:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their division.

A) by using the company's earnings and to profit
B) by using the companies' earnings and by profiting
C) using the companies' earnings and profiting
D) with the company's earnings, profiting
E) with the companies' earnings and to profit
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 19:21
Paul wrote:
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their division.

A) by using the company's earnings and to profit
B) by using the companies' earnings and by profiting
C) using the companies' earnings and profiting
D) with the company's earnings, profiting
E) with the companies' earnings and to profit


First hint: mixed use of company and companies. Gotta make up your mind!

Second hint: LBO investors usually wait till they have paid off their debts using the earnings of the companies. Otherwise, there's no point of a buyout. (Granted, this hint will only be apparent to the finance folks.)

(B) is incorrect because you don't need to pay off your LBO debt by profiting richly. (C) introduces a qualifying present participle within a qualifying present participle (hoping...using...profiting). Similar problem with (D) which also forgets the conjunction AND.

(E) is the most concise of them all: hoping to pay off the debt ... and to profit richly. (It can lose the second to before profit though.)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2004
Posts: 893
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 19:28
I will go for C. Uses Companies' rightly. Also Adverb 'richly' modifies the verb 'profiting'.

Last edited by venksune on 09 Sep 2004, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2004
Posts: 893
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 19:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
why 'with'? 'Using' instead of 'by using' was also more precise
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 20:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
venksune wrote:
why 'with'? 'Using' instead of 'by using' was also more precise


'Using' is not the offender. It can work interchangeably with 'with'. However, 'profiting' introduces the issue of parallelism. The investors are hoping for two things:

(i) Paying off their debt
(ii) Profiting richly

So while to pay off their debt is in the infinitive form, profiting is not.

Compare the following two:

(1) Using this plan, I'm hoping to pay off my mortgage with my retirement income and to go on an extended vacation subsequently to the Canadian Rockies.
(2) Using this plan, I'm hoping to pay off my mortgage using my retirement income and going on an extended vacation subsequently to the Canadian Rockies.

The second one is too heavy with nested present participles. Also, to pay off is not parallel with going on.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [1] , given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 22:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Please look at the link below after you guys have sweated it out here..

Akamai speaketh... Problem Solveth

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=210

Sincerely
Praetorian
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Posts: 328
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2004, 03:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Till the explaination my answer was C.
Thanks for the explaination Intr3pid
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2004, 04:30
OA is E, nice one intr3pid.
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt with the companies' earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their division

The portion in red is part of the independent clause. The blue part is an appositive phrase. It gives emphasis on why investors will buy those companies in question. The trickier part is that the appositive is immediately followed by the second part of the independent clause; hence, we need "to profit", infinitive form, to follow the parallelism established by "to buy companies". Of course, "companies" plural form is needed for parallelism.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 05:09
intr3pid wrote:
Paul wrote:
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their division.

A) by using the company's earnings and to profit
B) by using the companies' earnings and by profiting
C) using the companies' earnings and profiting
D) with the company's earnings, profiting
E) with the companies' earnings and to profit


First hint: mixed use of company and companies. Gotta make up your mind!

Second hint: LBO investors usually wait till they have paid off their debts using the earnings of the companies. Otherwise, there's no point of a buyout. (Granted, this hint will only be apparent to the finance folks.)

(B) is incorrect because you don't need to pay off your LBO debt by profiting richly. (C) introduces a qualifying present participle within a qualifying present participle (hoping...using...profiting). Similar problem with (D) which also forgets the conjunction AND.

(E) is the most concise of them all: hoping to pay off the debt ... and to profit richly. (It can lose the second to before profit though.)


The point that i dont understand here is that E uses the word "companies' "..i m sure i m missing something here
is companies' not a plural form (i mean i know i may just be called a stupid for asking this)

looking forward to a clear and a lil less complicated explanation to this problem
thanks
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Leveraged buyout [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 12:03
vdhawan1 wrote:
intr3pid wrote:
Paul wrote:
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money to buy companies, hoping to pay off the debt by using the company's earnings and to profit richly by the later resale of the companies or their division.

A) by using the company's earnings and to profit
B) by using the companies' earnings and by profiting
C) using the companies' earnings and profiting
D) with the company's earnings, profiting
E) with the companies' earnings and to profit


First hint: mixed use of company and companies. Gotta make up your mind!

Second hint: LBO investors usually wait till they have paid off their debts using the earnings of the companies. Otherwise, there's no point of a buyout. (Granted, this hint will only be apparent to the finance folks.)

(B) is incorrect because you don't need to pay off your LBO debt by profiting richly. (C) introduces a qualifying present participle within a qualifying present participle (hoping...using...profiting). Similar problem with (D) which also forgets the conjunction AND.

(E) is the most concise of them all: hoping to pay off the debt ... and to profit richly. (It can lose the second to before profit though.)


The point that i dont understand here is that E uses the word "companies' "..i m sure i m missing something here
is companies' not a plural form (i mean i know i may just be called a stupid for asking this)

looking forward to a clear and a lil less complicated explanation to this problem
thanks


Hi vdhawan1,

Note that in the non-underlined part, the investors are buying companies, so the underlined part must refer to these companies. Hence the plural form "companies' "
Re: SC Leveraged buyout   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2008, 12:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money FN 14 15 Aug 2007, 12:00
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money scgmat 6 11 Aug 2006, 15:03
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money joemama142000 30 24 Nov 2005, 18:55
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money scorer 9 02 Apr 2005, 22:57
In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money Anna Rama 5 02 Jan 2005, 14:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a leveraged buyout, investors borrow huge sums of money

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.