Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 20:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The average number of children per family is five and over-population is a threat. Programs to encourage birth-control have been ineffective. It has been suggested that this failure is due to these programs ignoring a tradition that values male children very highly, so that every parent wants to have at least one son. It is proposed that couples be encouraged to use birth-control measures after the birth of their first son.

If this proposal is widely accepted in the culture, we may expect that:

A) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.

B) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present.

C) the rate of population growth will remain the same, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.

D) there will be no significant effect either on population growth or on gender balance.

E) the population will decline precipitously, because approximately half of all families will have only a single child.

please explain
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 21:20
u2lover wrote:
In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The average number of children per family is five and over-population is a threat. Programs to encourage birth-control have been ineffective. It has been suggested that this failure is due to these programs ignoring a tradition that values male children very highly, so that every parent wants to have at least one son. It is proposed that couples be encouraged to use birth-control measures after the birth of their first son.

A) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.

A is right. Birth control measures will be in place which will slow popln. growth--females will be higher because most families will wait for the first male child to adopt birth-control measures.

B) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present.

future generations will not have the same gender balance because of birth-control measure ater the first male child as opposed to now where people now want as many of them.

C) the rate of population growth will remain the same, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.

rate of popln growth will slow

D) there will be no significant effect either on population growth or on gender balance.

same as above.

E) the population will decline precipitously, because approximately half of all families will have only a single child.

we dont know this.

please explain
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
B

Cerianly the population growth will slow down but gender balance will not be affected.

Lets have it quant way. Prob of a boy or a girl is equal. Lets take 8 couples and 4 of them got first boy and 4 got 1st girl. Out of those 4 who got first girl, 2 got second a boy and 2 second a girl and so on.

1st Couple----B--STOP
2nd Couple----B--STOP
3rd Couple----B--STOP
4th Couple----B--STOP
5th Coople---GB-STOP
6th Coople---GB-STOP
7th Coople---GGB-STOP
8th Coople---GGGB-STOP
and so on.......

For whatever number of families there will be just 1 boy more than girls.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 13:30
guess A is right.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 14:29
MA wrote:
guess A is right.

No way A could be right. I am pretty sure about this.

VP
VP

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 14:40
ps_dahiya wrote:
MA wrote:
guess A is right.

you seem correct. i found the thread: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... b486070180
CEO
CEO

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 14:44
MA wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
MA wrote:
guess A is right.

you seem correct. i found the thread: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... b486070180

Thanks for the link. Even the example given is also almost same :lol: :lol:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 15:59
population will decrease for sure. so either B or E is right.

E is too extreme. So, I choose B.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 02:38
I'll go with B.
Increase in population will be slowed because people will take birth control measures after they have their first male child.Initially having the first male child did not deter them having more children.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 03:01

A) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females. right the first part of answear not deductable second implication...

B) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present. is the winner clearly sum up all the argumentation

C) the rate of population growth will remain the same, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females. why that, there is no reference about females the issue address males but should affect both

D) there will be no significant effect either on population growth or on gender balance. no if the births are under control the pop growth decrease

E) the population will decline precipitously, because approximately half of all families will have only a single child. to drastic and why only half of the families and not all the falmilies considering that is a measure that will affect all....

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 18:58
OA is B
VP
VP

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 19:09
ps_dahiya wrote:
MA wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
MA wrote:
guess A is right.

great minds are alike. :wink:
CEO
CEO

Re: CR: Monogamous culture [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2006, 19:47
MA wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
MA wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
MA wrote:
guess A is right.

great minds are alike. :wink:

I don't think so as I am still hovering around 650 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 06:33
Good questions. Beyond me though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 05:27
ps_dahiya wrote:
B

Cerianly the population growth will slow down but gender balance will not be affected.

Lets have it quant way. Prob of a boy or a girl is equal. Lets take 8 couples and 4 of them got first boy and 4 got 1st girl. Out of those 4 who got first girl, 2 got second a boy and 2 second a girl and so on.

1st Couple----B--STOP
2nd Couple----B--STOP
3rd Couple----B--STOP
4th Couple----B--STOP
5th Coople---GB-STOP
6th Coople---GB-STOP
7th Coople---GGB-STOP
8th Coople---GGGB-STOP
and so on.......

For whatever number of families there will be just 1 boy more than girls.

Very Very good analysis indeed :D :lol:

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re:   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2012, 05:27