Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 17:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 04:41
michigancat wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
I chose D ; if we assume that in the earlier case - the families didnt expand after getting their first male child - nothign changes after institituing the law as well. The only difference is ppl stop reproducing after getting frst male child. How is it different from what was happening earlier - unless it can be shown to be otherwise in which case I can agree that population growth rate may decrease.

That was exactly how I interpreted it, initially. However, the question specifically says "if this proposal is widely accepted in the culture". To choose D is to assume that the proposal is not accepted.

Very good question.

Are we all not assuming that population is not stopping after first male child. In light of tradition they may still be doing that. So how can program change any growth?

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 06:03
saxenashobhit wrote:
michigancat wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
I chose D ; if we assume that in the earlier case - the families didnt expand after getting their first male child - nothign changes after institituing the law as well. The only difference is ppl stop reproducing after getting frst male child. How is it different from what was happening earlier - unless it can be shown to be otherwise in which case I can agree that population growth rate may decrease.

That was exactly how I interpreted it, initially. However, the question specifically says "if this proposal is widely accepted in the culture". To choose D is to assume that the proposal is not accepted.

Very good question.

Are we all not assuming that population is not stopping after first male child. In light of tradition they may still be doing that. So how can program change any growth?

The question requires you to assume that this program is accepted, and therefore increases the use of birth control, regardless of whether you think the program would be effective.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 6

Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with B although i am not convinced that there WILL be gender balance. Simply because birth is a natural occurrence. Many factors such as birth mortality and trans gender births need to be taken into account when determining the gender balance.

My reasoning is

C and D are out because rate of increase will NOT SLOW DOWN
E is out because population will not decline precipitously

between A and B.
A is out because there absolutely no way to conclude that future generations will have disproportionately high number of females

I would have chosen A if it mentioned "the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will not remain as it is at present

Only B survives the POE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 10:02
abhirules wrote:
I will go with B although i am not convinced that there WILL be gender balance. Simply because birth is a natural occurrence. Many factors such as birth mortality and trans gender births need to be taken into account when determining the gender balance.

My reasoning is

C and D are out because rate of increase will NOT SLOW DOWN
E is out because population will not decline precipitously

between A and B.
A is out because there absolutely no way to conclude that future generations will have disproportionately high number of females

I would have chosen A if it mentioned "the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will not remain as it is at present

Only B survives the POE

Thanks, this makes more sense. It is the strong language in A saying "disproportionately high" number of females that made me question it. I would think it would be maybe slightly higher female?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 13:05
Am I looking at this differently?

Why is nobody talking about the current "Average Size of the Family"?

The scenario today (w/o birth control) is that:
1. Parents have a conventional mindset where they want a boy 'before they stop humping'.
2. The average number of kids in each family is 5.

The second point (along with point 1 - traditional values) implies that on an average the first 4 kids in each family are girls.

Now the new proposal is to suggest birth-control mechanisms to parent soon after they have their first baby boy.

The new proposal and the conventional mindset are no different.
Nothing changes...

The number of girls keeps increasing (4:1) and the population explosion remains.

I still lobby C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 16:20
tough one..thought of A as an answer...after reading some of the explanations..i go with B
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 12:16
i still can't understand why B is correct. Can someone please come up with a better explanation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 10:47
I chose C! Don't fully understand the solution..

petrifiedbutstanding

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 00:47
A is correct no matter what the test says... The population growth will slow down. There will be more girls than boys because the policy excludes the possibility of consequent birth of males. You stop when one comes out, whereas I can have 1,2,3,5,7 etc. Girls before I succeed with a boy. So there just must be more girls!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 23:02
THought E first on 1st attempt..
thanks for the exp..i agree with B now

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 02:34
this question is vague and should be re-written.

There is an hidden suggestion in it that the population has a genetic predisposition to have more female children.
The reason for this is that the average family has five children, but this is the case even after birth control measures have been attempted and the reason given is that the families have a tradition that favours boys. I.e. the families are having four girls and then a boy and THEN stop.

Read the question carefully and you will see this is this case.

So the likely answer would be C, but i can understand why ppl here are pushing for B, which is more of mathematical approach - but
ignores the suggestion of genetic predisposition in the stem.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 6

Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
This is a rather poorly-framed question. Not worth worrying your head over, not even for "instructive" purposes.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 06:26
OldFritz wrote:
This is a rather poorly-framed question. Not worth worrying your head over, not even for "instructive" purposes.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz

Just love your down to earth approach!

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Monogamous Culture (source 800) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 07:01
I will go for B

the problem with A is that we don't know the current status. Maybe the current rate of male is very high since we know that families prefer son.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 18:06
I don't think this can be a real GMAT question. I picked A. Look at my explanation and assumptions:

Previously (before birth control), families wanted at least one son. So even if, for example, the first child was a male, they would still keep going in order to try to have more males.
However, AFTER birth control, we can assume they stop after their first male.

Thus, this is obviously a decline in population - Eliminate C & D. E was also obviously out because half of all families will have many more than one child.
Now, consider what happens after birth control:

Families either have:
M
or
F...FM
or just stop after certain number of F...F

This obviously leads to a great increase in females because previously it there was no restriction on males.
A is the only one that makes sense.

The only way B is correct is if you assume that families are ALREADY stopping after one male, and there is nothing in the question to suggest that.

Basically, decline in males leads to decline in population and increase in female proportion.
Intern
Intern

Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 00:52
qweretyq wrote:
I don't think this can be a real GMAT question. I picked A. Look at my explanation and assumptions:

Previously (before birth control), families wanted at least one son. So even if, for example, the first child was a male, they would still keep going in order to try to have more males.
However, AFTER birth control, we can assume they stop after their first male.

Thus, this is obviously a decline in population - Eliminate C & D. E was also obviously out because half of all families will have many more than one child.
Now, consider what happens after birth control:

Families either have:
M
or
F...FM
or just stop after certain number of F...F

This obviously leads to a great increase in females because previously it there was no restriction on males.
A is the only one that makes sense.

The only way B is correct is if you assume that families are ALREADY stopping after one male, and there is nothing in the question to suggest that.

Basically, decline in males leads to decline in population and increase in female proportion.

@ qweretyq
I agree with you that this question cannot be a real GMAT question because it is too controversal. At the glance, I picked A too.
But consider that the probability to have M is 1/2 and to have F is 1/2.
let's use a scenario of 100 families. The result will not be quite balanced
1st try: 48 Males 52 Females
2nd try (only families with F): 25 Males 27 Females
3rd try : 12 Males 15 Females

... until all families get their son.

If you sum up each category, you will not find big difference. The balance will remains the same.
Though GMAT does not allow external info, this probability is used in real life. In my country, we have 52% women.
In France, 32 out of 62 millions are women.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 03:06
(E) the population will decline precipitously, because approximately half of all families will have only a single child

Why cant the answer be E?

Probability of a boy as well as of a girl is 1/2. This means approximately half of the families will have first child as Boy. And if the proposal is accepted widely that family will start on birth control and hence further children cannot be expected from that family

(A) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.

A is not correct as the rate of population will not increase but will decrease. I think rate of population is different than rate of population increase.

Please suggest.
Intern
Intern

Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 10:57
A is incorrect not for your reason. Rate of population has not real meaning. We can't say "rate of children". We usually say "rate of children growth". The same goes for population. Then, rate of population increase is right as to indicate the speed at which the population is growing.

E is not correct because even though we have fewer babies, the population is still growing unless the number of death is greater than the number of birth. We have no information about death rate. And also, the adverb “precipitously” rules out this answer.

I think B is the more realistic answer though this answer justifies some rejections.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 05:06
A simple fact check rules out A, right? There is no information on females or female children at all anywhere.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 29

Premium Member
Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 07:25
clubzzang wrote:
In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The average number of children per family is five and over-population is a threat. Programs to encourage birth-control have been ineffective. It has been suggested that this failure is due to these programs ignoring a tradition that values male children very highly, so that every parent wants to have at least one son. It is proposed that couples be encouraged to use birth-control measures after the birth of their first son.

If this proposal is widely accepted in the culture, we may expect that:

(A) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.
(B) the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present.
(C) the rate of population growth will remain the same, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.
(D) there will be no significant effect either on population growth or on gender balance.
(E) the population will decline precipitously, because approximately half of all families will have only a single child.

The OA to this question is questionable. Let's use logic.

Let's assume that there is a 50:50 chance of getting either a boy or a girl. If a family gets a boy as the first child, then they put a stop to it. Now if another family gets a girl, they try another child. If the second is a girl, they go for the third child and if number 3 is a girl, they keep going. Meanwhile, the family with a boy has stopped procreating. So how will the gender balance remain the same when no family is expected to have more than one buy yet families can have two girls or even more?

I don't think the GMAT is designed to be anti-logic.

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: June 11, 2014

Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 07:25