Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a move that surprised many political analysts,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

In a move that surprised many political analysts, [#permalink] New post 09 May 2005, 23:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
59.In a move that surprised many political analysts, Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians demanding that they should modify their party platform to reflect public concerns about social issues, including abortion.

A. demanding that they should
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 00:19
IMO only A) makes sense. the republicans demand something from the christians. so it cannot be D), C) and E). B) is out because "it" refers to the "christians" which is plural.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 00:22
christoph wrote:
IMO only A) makes sense. the republicans demand something from the christians. so it cannot be D), C) and E). B) is out because "it" refers to the "christians" which is plural.

that's correct! :oops:

A should be it...don't know why I didn't see the IT
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 02:18
A shot for D.

C is wrong because it changes the meaning of the original

Regards,
Wunderbar03

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- political analysts [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 08:24
ngobaotrung wrote:
59.In a move that surprised many political analysts, Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians demanding that they should modify their party platform to reflect public concerns about social issues, including abortion.

B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

Eliminate B, D, E coz "it", a singular pronoun refers to a plural noun [republicans] incorrectly. Here Republicans isnt a collective noun.

C: Wrong because you have a conjunction "and" that "equates" an IC with a DC.

IC = Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians <AND>
DC = Their demand to modify their party platform to reflect public concerns about social issues, including abortion.

So my AC is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 08:40
Ans A

In a move that surprised many political analysts, Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians demanding that they should modify their party platform to reflect public concerns about social issues, including abortion.

B. demanding it to

usage of it is wrong because we see "Their party "

C. and their demand to

it is like Republicans yoelded to Christians and to their Demand as well.though the statement is they Republicans yielded to only those who are demanding to modify.

D. who demanded that it

E. who demanded it to
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 11:37
rthothad wrote:
christoph wrote:

Isn't 'they' ambiguous in A

i think it is not ambiguous because it must refer to "christians". otherwise it would totally change the meaning of the sentence.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 12:03
christoph wrote:
i think it is not ambiguous because it must refer to "christians". otherwise it would totally change the meaning of the sentence.

How do you choose this - When do you apply the rule that it changes the meaning & when do you apply the ambguity rule
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 12:45
rthothad wrote:
christoph wrote:

How do you choose this - When do you apply the rule that it changes the meaning & when do you apply the ambguity rule

good point. my strategy is this:

if there is only one logical reference then it is unambiguous.
if there are two or more logical references and only one is grammatically right then it is unambiguous.
if there are two or more logical references and all are grammatically right then it is ambiguous.

i dont know if there is a rule... :?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 13:25
I pick A.
The referent of 'it' in B, C, D and E is unclear.
the referent of 'they' in A, is clear enough i think.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 15:07
I'll be first to put my money on (C)!

Gmataquaguy is right on with this:
Eliminate B, D, E coz "it", a singular pronoun refers to a plural noun [republicans] incorrectly. Here Republicans isnt a collective noun.

But I'd say the fault with (A) is, demand is a strong word. You don't demand that someone SHOULD do something. You flat demand they DO it. I'm pretty sure I've run across this in my GMAT prep.

so (C):
Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians and their demand to modify their party platform.

Which is OK, there's nothing wrong with yielding to two things, yielding to CHRISTIANS and to THEIR DEMAND.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2005, 15:29
Supercat wrote:
I'll be first to put my money on (C)!
But I'd say the fault with (A) is, demand is a strong word. You don't demand that someone SHOULD do something. You flat demand they DO it. I'm pretty sure I've run across this in my GMAT prep.

so (C):
Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians and their demand to modify their party platform.

Which is OK, there's nothing wrong with yielding to two things, yielding to CHRISTIANS and to THEIR DEMAND.

Thanks christoph. I will try to implement your logic but this pronoun reference is been eluding me for sometime now.

Supercat, Yes I do agree about A but isn't 'C' changing the intent of the original sentence, my understanding of the original sentence is that Republicans yielded to Christian's demand to modify their platform....' but your interpretation is that the Republicans yielded to Christians and their demand.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 01:12
I wud go with (A) ....

Even I thot abt (C) but teh problem with (C) is that ... and THEIR demand to modify THEIR party .... so 'their' in this case wud obfuscate the meaning of the sentence. The first 'their' cleary corresponds to conservative christians but the second 'their' shud relate to republicans ... but to a reader, it is confusing and hence (a).
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 05:19
Normally we don`t say demand...should... but this happens to be the lesser of the five evils. "it" incorrectly refers to republicans, not the republican party. In C, "their" is confusing and redundant,

Hence, A.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 06:56
"The best answer is D. Choice D uses the grammatically correct expression demanded that it reflect in which demanded that it is followed by the subjunctive verb reflect. "-->this is the explaination, but I still dont understand "it" here?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 20:26
ngobaotrung wrote:
"The best answer is D. Choice D uses the grammatically correct expression demanded that it reflect in which demanded that it is followed by the subjunctive verb reflect. "-->this is the explaination, but I still dont understand "it" here?

That's completely unacceptable. First "It" cannot be a correct pronoun in this sentence. There is no antecedent that could take "it" as a pronoun -- it's not a question of ambiguity; there simply is no noun that could be represented by "it" at that point in the sentence. Plainly ungrammatical.

Second, the explanation is obviously wrong with respect to the word "reflect". The verb that follows "demanded that it" and that must be in subjunctive mood is "modify", not "reflect". "To reflect" is an infinitive acting as an adverb modifying modify (if that doesn't confuse you!), and so has nothing to do with the subjunctive mood.

There clearly was substantial editorial gaffe in producing this test question. I would guess that at some point this question was written to say something like: Republicans were forced to modify their party platform, yielding to Christians who demanded that it reflect public concerns....

No doubt an editor revised the question but overlooked revising the "correct" answer explanation. Trust me, editors do that.

ETS is too careful with published matter to make such mistakes, so this isn't from the official guide, is it? Must have come from a 3rd party like Princeton Review or Kaplan or something else?

In a move that surprised many political analysts, Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians who demanded that it modify their party platform to reflect public concerns about social issues, including abortion.

Last edited by Supercat on 11 May 2005, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 20:38
I chose C, too. Looks as though we are in the minority here, cat.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- political analysts [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 21:07
Quote:
In a move that surprised many political analysts, Republicans were forced to yield to conservative Christians demanding that they should modify their party platform to reflect public concerns about social issues, including abortion.
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

Vithal was correct on this, i do not know why he changed his answer. it is a plain subjunctive case, therefore D is ok if we follow ETS. Consider the following OG problem, which is pretty much the same as the one discussed here:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

D is OA here becasue it is case of subjunctive. if anybody sees any difference, pls explain.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 22:13
MA
In the example you have given Coca Cola company is singular so it can refer to the company, however in case of Republicans it is not applicable.

The answer should be C as demanding in A is not grammatically correct.

Meenu
Manager
Manager

Re: SC- political analysts [#permalink] New post 11 May 2005, 22:22
MA wrote:
Quote:
B. demanding it to
C. and their demand to
D. who demanded that it
E. who demanded it to

Vithal was correct on this, i do not know why he changed his answer. it is a plain subjunctive case, therefore D is ok if we follow ETS. Consider the following OG problem, which is pretty much the same as the one discussed here:

In one of the most stunning reversals in the history of marketing, the Coca-Cola company in July 1985 yielded to thousands of irate consumers demanding that it should bring back the original Coke formula.
(A) demanding that it should
(B) demanding it to
(C) and their demand to
(D) who demanded that it
(E) who demanded it to

D is OA here becasue it is case of subjunctive. if anybody sees any difference, pls explain.

I'm beating a dead horse on this one (there's an idiom for you guys), but the Coca Cola example is perfectly fine. In that sentence, "Coca Cola Company" does indeed make for an appropriate antecedent to it. That solves every problem, nothing wrong with (D) on THAT one.

But the political analyst sentence is not a precise parallel: In that sentence "it" has no possible antecedent, and that fact alone eliminates (D) beyond any debate. That is important: you must understand that "it" as used in the political analyst question choice (D) is utterly ungrammatical -- that is a very basic pronoun-agreement issue, there is no leeway about that, and if you do not understand that, you are doomed to miss many easy S/C questions.
(Yes the real problem here is that the question stem is badly written).

On the subjunctive mood issue, it is worth noting that this sentence does not at all require the subjunctive mood (which is what lead me to pick (C)).

Not if the sentence uses the noun demand, as opposed to the verb demanded.

In the sentence "Republicans yielded to a demand to modify the platform,"
that sentence is completely correct, it does NOT contain a subjunctive mood, and the infinitive "to modify" is merely an adjective for demand.

Ok I'll retire from this one

:twisted:
Re: SC- political analysts   [#permalink] 11 May 2005, 22:22