Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 04:46
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:55) correct 28% (00:53) wrong based on 303 sessions
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

hey ya......


Last edited by nakib77 on 01 Nov 2005, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1736
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # East Cost beaches [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 05:59
C is correct. note two things:

1. "as" vs "like". as is needed to make the comparision of action.
2. "absorbing" vs "absorb". absorbing makes the sentence ll with "protecting". and also need participles "absorbing ......and protecting......" to modify the whole clause.

nakib77 wrote:
3. In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 244
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # East Cost beaches [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 06:23
nakib77 wrote:
3. In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb


Is it C?

Act as a buffer seems correct. If we say absorbing then it agrees with the protecting (bold / underlined) part of the question
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2005
Posts: 88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 09:36
C.

Parallelism is being used here - it must be act to parallel rise and must be absorbing to mirror protecting.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 13:50
OA is C .
_________________

hey ya......

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 13:53
OA is C .
_________________

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 405
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 21:01
We need to show parallelism, i.e. "...rise... and act." Therefore, eliminate D and E.

Like is used to compare two nouns. Since we are comparing actions, i.e. rise and act, as is the correct particle.

The last portion of the stimulus is a subordinate clause. Therefore, we need to use "-ing" participle to introduct a subordinate clause.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 21:22
like is wrong as we're not likening to a characteristic
a - 'so that it absorbs' is awkward
d - is also awkward

C is the best choice
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Mission GMAT
Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Posts: 96
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC # East Cost beaches [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 03:19
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb

Parallelism--that would rise and act
So that leaves us with A,B,C. act like vs. act as. Act like means act similar to. Act as means function as. Here Act as is correct use meaning wise. So between A and C, we have so that it absorbs vs. absorbing.
There is one more parallelism here. absorbing anf protecting. So D is correct.
_________________

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 206
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 09:39
The answer I chose was C:

A. Parallelism is broken here - absorbing should be parallel to protecting. Also, "That it absorbs..." should be an independent clause because it is separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma and a coordinating conjunction "so."

B. "So as to absorb" is not parallel to protecting. Also, this answer choice is very wordy.

C. This answer choice correctly demonstrates parallelism and the use of the word "As." "Act" is parallel to "rise" and "absorbing" is parallel to "protecting"

D. Although this answer may be tempting, "acting" is not parallel to rise.

E. "Absorbing" is not parallel to "protecting."
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 174
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 11:50
"act as a buffer" seems like the right way to go
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 278
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 279

CAT Tests
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 02:36
The mission is to make the sentence parallel before and after the comma.
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 247
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 02:10
nakib77 wrote:
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb



ideom + parallelism


Ideom:

you say "act AS", not "act LIKE" in this context. "You act like a crazy person" means you act in the same way that a crazy person does. You "act AS a crazy person" means you act as if you are a crazy person. The buffer is not supposed to mimic some other things MO, it is supposed to completely be the same as that other thing. So the breakwater functions precisely the same way that a buffer does, in this context.

Parallelism:

look to the right of the underlined portion.. We have protecting.. This is a present participle. So, we need a present participle in the underlined portion. Only C and D have this, the problem with D is that act is not supposed to be present participle, it distorts the meaning of the author.

So, C is our choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 259
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 00:17
nakib77 wrote:
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb


the most important thing here is how to eliminate choice A.

when reading sc, we have to find the grammatical role and logic role of each word, phrase and clause.

"so that it..." is adverb clause showing purpose of the clause " that would rise and act" . look at tense "would" and "absorbs" . there is no logic relation between "would " and "absorbs". A is wrong

I would learn gmat so that I take mba. wrong.

A is wrong.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 259
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 00:26
nakib77 wrote:
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb


even if there is no"would" A is still wrong.

in this case, both A and C are grammatical and logic if we see each of them separately. but if we see them stand side by side, one of them is considered the distorted meaning. this situation happens many times on gmatprep sc questions. we have to realize that one is the distorted meaning and our task is harder. but gmat has right to test this situation because we have to convey the meaning we intende and we, in fact, normally convey the distorted meaning. however this situation is hard for the test takers.

if there is no "would"

"so that it..." shows the purpose of "act as"

in C, "absorbing" show the method of "act as" . a different meaning. using intuition, not any grammatical reason or logic reason, we infer that C is the intended meaning.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the   [#permalink] 10 May 2014, 00:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
East Coast vs. West Coast carlyD 0 18 Feb 2014, 11:43
Travel to East Coast from west Coast- School Visit ankurb 0 28 Aug 2013, 23:52
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the u2lover 9 24 Dec 2006, 21:49
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the nakib77 4 01 Nov 2005, 04:46
3 In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the jpv 26 05 Mar 2005, 18:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.