Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 04:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:57) correct 27% (00:58) wrong based on 491 sessions
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

hey ya......

Last edited by nakib77 on 01 Nov 2005, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: SC # East Cost beaches [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 05:59
C is correct. note two things:

1. "as" vs "like". as is needed to make the comparision of action.
2. "absorbing" vs "absorb". absorbing makes the sentence ll with "protecting". and also need participles "absorbing ......and protecting......" to modify the whole clause.

nakib77 wrote:
3. In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

Current Student
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: SC # East Cost beaches [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 06:23
nakib77 wrote:
3. In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

Is it C?

Act as a buffer seems correct. If we say absorbing then it agrees with the protecting (bold / underlined) part of the question
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 09:36
C.

Parallelism is being used here - it must be act to parallel rise and must be absorbing to mirror protecting.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 13:50
OA is C .

hey ya......

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 13:53
OA is C .

hey ya......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 21:01
We need to show parallelism, i.e. "...rise... and act." Therefore, eliminate D and E.

Like is used to compare two nouns. Since we are comparing actions, i.e. rise and act, as is the correct particle.

The last portion of the stimulus is a subordinate clause. Therefore, we need to use "-ing" participle to introduct a subordinate clause.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2005, 21:22
like is wrong as we're not likening to a characteristic
a - 'so that it absorbs' is awkward
d - is also awkward

C is the best choice
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 39

Re: SC # East Cost beaches [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 03:19
This post received
KUDOS
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

Parallelism--that would rise and act
So that leaves us with A,B,C. act like vs. act as. Act like means act similar to. Act as means function as. Here Act as is correct use meaning wise. So between A and C, we have so that it absorbs vs. absorbing.
There is one more parallelism here. absorbing anf protecting. So D is correct.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 09:39
The answer I chose was C:

A. Parallelism is broken here - absorbing should be parallel to protecting. Also, "That it absorbs..." should be an independent clause because it is separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma and a coordinating conjunction "so."

B. "So as to absorb" is not parallel to protecting. Also, this answer choice is very wordy.

C. This answer choice correctly demonstrates parallelism and the use of the word "As." "Act" is parallel to "rise" and "absorbing" is parallel to "protecting"

D. Although this answer may be tempting, "acting" is not parallel to rise.

E. "Absorbing" is not parallel to "protecting."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 11:50
"act as a buffer" seems like the right way to go
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 02:36
The mission is to make the sentence parallel before and after the comma.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 02:10
nakib77 wrote:

ideom + parallelism

Ideom:

you say "act AS", not "act LIKE" in this context. "You act like a crazy person" means you act in the same way that a crazy person does. You "act AS a crazy person" means you act as if you are a crazy person. The buffer is not supposed to mimic some other things MO, it is supposed to completely be the same as that other thing. So the breakwater functions precisely the same way that a buffer does, in this context.

Parallelism:

look to the right of the underlined portion.. We have protecting.. This is a present participle. So, we need a present participle in the underlined portion. Only C and D have this, the problem with D is that act is not supposed to be present participle, it distorts the meaning of the author.

So, C is our choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 00:17
nakib77 wrote:

the most important thing here is how to eliminate choice A.

when reading sc, we have to find the grammatical role and logic role of each word, phrase and clause.

"so that it..." is adverb clause showing purpose of the clause " that would rise and act" . look at tense "would" and "absorbs" . there is no logic relation between "would " and "absorbs". A is wrong

I would learn gmat so that I take mba. wrong.

A is wrong.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 00:26
nakib77 wrote:

even if there is no"would" A is still wrong.

in this case, both A and C are grammatical and logic if we see each of them separately. but if we see them stand side by side, one of them is considered the distorted meaning. this situation happens many times on gmatprep sc questions. we have to realize that one is the distorted meaning and our task is harder. but gmat has right to test this situation because we have to convey the meaning we intende and we, in fact, normally convey the distorted meaning. however this situation is hard for the test takers.

if there is no "would"

"so that it..." shows the purpose of "act as"

in C, "absorbing" show the method of "act as" . a different meaning. using intuition, not any grammatical reason or logic reason, we infer that C is the intended meaning.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 01:28
Can anyone help to demonstrate what the role of "building parallel" in the non-underlined portion is? I can't understand why GMAC doesn't use "proposed to build parallel"? I thought the correct idiom is "propose to V" or "propose +Noun".

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 2

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 02:12
LucyDang wrote:
Can anyone help to demonstrate what the role of "building parallel" in the non-underlined portion is? I can't understand why GMAC doesn't use "proposed to build parallel"? I thought the correct idiom is "propose to V" or "propose +Noun".

When two verb forms appear together (propose and build in this case), there are no grammatical rules that govern whether the second verb (build in this case) should be in infinitive (to build) or gerund (building).

Since this is just a matter of writing preference, it is unlikely that test takers would be presented with two answer choices, whose only difference is Verb1 + infinitive Verb2 and Verb1 + Gerund Verb2.

Having said that, there is a question in OG-13, where the only difference is Verb1 + infinitive Verb2 and Verb1 + Gerund Verb2.

#18, OG-13:

Warning that computers in the United States are not secure, the National Academy of Sciences has urged the nation to revamp computer security procedures, institute new emergency response teams, creating a special nongovernment organization to take charge of computer security planning.
(D) and create a special nongovernment organization for taking
(E) and create a special nongovernment organization to take

E is the correct answer above, and OE mentions for taking as unidiomatic.

However, as I mentioned above, we believe it is unlikely that these questions would come up in your exam.

Out of curiosity, I did a google search and landed on this page: http://www.englishpage.com/gerunds/gerund_or_infinitive_same_list.htm, which suggests that propose is one of the few verbs, which can be followed by both infinitives and gerunds, with a negligible difference in meaning.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the concept of two verb forms appearing together, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 09-27-2014
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 63

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 07:15
nakib77 wrote:

Parallelism is the concept tested.

that would rise six feet above the waterline and act
This will leave with only A, B and C
absorbing the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches
This will leave with only answer choice C

Winners are rarely born, you will have to work hard and build yourself to become a winner
Cheers
RJ

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 07:15