Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 05:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a political system with only two major parties, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 193

In a political system with only two major parties, the [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 19:08
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:56) wrong based on 5 sessions
In a political system with only two major parties, the entrance of a third-party radical candidate into an election race has historically damaged the chances of one of the two major candidates. This notion played out in the presidential race of 2000. In this important election the third-party extremist candidate attracted some of the voters who otherwise would have voted for one of the two major candidates, but not voters who supported the other candidate. Because the third-party candidate affected the two major candidates unequally, for reasons neither of them has any control over, the practice of allowing a third-party presidential candidate was unfair and should not be allowed in future national elections.

If the factual information in the above passage is true, which of the following can be most reliably inferred?

If, before the emergence of a third party, voters were divided equally between the two major parties, neither of the major parties is likely to capture much more than one-half of the vote.

If the political platform of the third party is a compromise position between that of the two major parties, the third party will draw its voters equally from the two major parties.

A third-party candidate will not capture the votes of new voters who have never voted for candidates of either of the major parties.

The political stance of a third party will be more radical than that of either of the two major parties.

The founders of a third party are likely to be a coalition consisting of former leaders of the two major parties.

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: political system [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
Using the info here :
"In this important election the third-party extremist candidate attracted some of the voters who otherwise would have voted for one of the two major candidates, but not voters who supported the other candidate."

Choice A - If, before the emergence of a third party, voters were divided equally between the two major parties, neither of the major parties is likely to capture much more than one-half of the vote. - CORRECT
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 29

Re: political system [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 19:22
Whats is the OA..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: political system [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 03:41
I think the answer is C
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 109

Re: political system [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 07:43
IMO, it is D.

OA?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 193

Re: political system [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 09:41
OA = B

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a political system with only two major parties, the [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 21:10
Official Answer please

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 22

Re: In a political system with only two major parties, the [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 22:38
By POE i choose D

OA Pls

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Re: In a political system with only two major parties, the   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2012, 22:38